New member Hello

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lisagail5

Assistant Cook
:rolleyes:
Hi all
I just joined today. I am a beginner cook. I have a question for you.
JC Penny has a sale on dutch ovens. It is a Cooks brand cast iron 5 quart pre seasoned for $30.00. Do you think Cooks is as good as Calphalon?

I have a 20% coupon for Calphalon that does not expire. Should I wait and get Calphalon?

Thanks for your help.

Lisa

Last edited by a moderator:
Good Morning Miss LisaGail!! Welcome to DC

I'm not familiar with Cooks brand of cast iron. Someone else here probably is. However; I am not fond of cast iron made in China which Cooks may or may not be. I am familiar with Lodge (US made) brand and it is a great value, and an excellent product!

Welcome again..............Have fun & Enjoy!

Hi, lisagail. Welcome to DC. You will be far more than a beginner cook in no time if you stay with us. Our members are friendly and more than willing to share their knowledge. We're glad you've found us.

As for your pan, I'm not familiar with the Cook's line either, but I would investigate where the cookware is made first and check into any warranty they might have.

I would tend to go with Lodge, as Uncle Bob said, or Calphalon. I don't have any Calphalon cast-iron pieces, but I do have other Calphalon cookware I've had for 30 years that are still going strong.

Welcome to the site.

I did a search and could not find anything on Cooks brand.
I would go with Lodge as well. You can get a 5 quart dutch oven made by Lodge for about $30. It will not be pre-seasoned, but seasoning it is very simple.

Welcome to a great site. ask questions some body will help all most imeditly
and stick with Lodge I have 3 skillets that my mother gave me 40 years ago and they are still as good as new.. This is personal but I have a big dislike for any thing from China
including Cast Iron

Hi Lisa,

You are talking about apples and oranges when you mention Cook's found here and Calphalon. My answer is get both and use for different reasons. There's nothing like a big, heavy Dutch oven. As you can see in the link Lodge also offers one that is pre-seasoned also. Sorry, I'm a tried n' true kinda gal and would have to go with Lodge. :blush: But if the coupon you have is for Cook's then I feel sure it will be fine and last past our lifetime!

The Calphalon you are referring to I would imagine is the enameled cast iron? Enameled cast iron is still a different creature. I would save your calphalon coupon and just get a different enameled cast iron vessel - like the rectangular baker. I like to heat that up super hot, brown a pork roast, and then finish in a very hot oven for about 25 minutes.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom