Monday, September 2, 2024, U.S. Labor Day, what's for dinner?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

medtran49

Master Chef
Not typical Labor Day food, but I need to start cooking some of the ingredients we bought at grocery, instead of ordering delivery and leftovers.

New Orleans BBQ shrimp and biscuits. The squares are the biscuits, less waste and re-rolling of dough.

20240902_181930.jpg

Last edited:
I'm still deciding. I guess it's time to go downstairs and stare at the contents of the fridge.
I was about to give up on inspiration and have a bowl of cereal, but I suddenly remembered the two leftover frikadeller. So, I had the frikadeller in a sandwich on whole wheat toast with Boston lettuce. That was very enjoyable.

I was about to give up on inspiration and have a bowl of cereal, but I suddenly remembered the two leftover frikadeller. So, I had the frikadeller in a sandwich on whole wheat toast with Boston lettuce. That was very enjoyable.
I had never heard of frikadellers before until you mentioned them @taxlady, I looked up the recipe. I understand they are a typical Danish dish? It seems they are similar to our meatballs, the form is different, flat, oval-shaped and onions are added. I've seen different varieties of this recipe on Google, some use pork, others use veal mixed with pork. What do you recommend? 🙂

I had never heard of frikadellers before until you mentioned them @taxlady, I looked up the recipe. I understand they are a typical Danish dish? It seems they are similar to our meatballs, the form is different, flat, oval-shaped and onions are added. I've seen different varieties of this recipe on Google, some use pork, others use veal mixed with pork. What do you recommend? 🙂
I use all pork. The shape, when they are made three sided and sort of rugby football shaped, gives each frikadelle a browning advantage. With three almost flat sides, you can get nearly total crusty brown goodness on the surface of a frikadelle. If it is made into a small patty, then the vertical sides don't get well browned. If it is a spherical shape, it can be hard to get even browning. Also, with frikadeller, there is supposed to be a lot of fat in the pan and most recipes call for using two kinds of fat, like butter and with vegetable oil or butter and lard or oil and lard.

I have never made them with pork and veal. If I have had them made with pork and veal, I wouldn't be surprised, but I can't say that I noticed the difference.

I use all pork. The shape, when they are made three sided and sort of rugby football shaped, gives each frikadelle a browning advantage. With three almost flat sides, you can get nearly total crusty brown goodness on the surface of a frikadelle. If it is made into a small patty, then the vertical sides don't get well browned. If it is a spherical shape, it can be hard to get even browning. Also, with frikadeller, there is supposed to be a lot of fat in the pan and most recipes call for using two kinds of fat, like butter and with vegetable oil or butter and lard or oil and lard.

I have never made them with pork and veal. If I have had them made with pork and veal, I wouldn't be surprised, but I can't say that I noticed the difference.
Thank you for the tips, I'm definitely going to try making them.

Made supper tonight for son and kids as wife's plane delayed coming in from Jersey.

Frozen lamb sausage kabobs, fresh green beans with a bit of sweet pepper, fried mushrooms, buttery rice. Tzatziki on the side.
Was impressed with the kabobs, very tasty! 20 minutes in the oven - took longer to heat up the oven than to actually cook them!

sorry no pics 'cause
a) didn't think of it and
b) grandkids already think I'm weird enuf, didn't want to confirm their belief by taking pics of supper.

Besides that gazpacho I made a couple days before, to take to my friend's place on Labor Day, I took that Thai sweet and spicy dipping sauce, for the grilled chicken and I made a batch those Mahogany fire noodles, that I used some ground pork in, instead of chicken, and only about 8 oz of the dried rice noodles, so 3 of us ate all those up. All that gazpacho is gone, too! Here are those fire noodles - not the hottest I've made, so those Thai Dragons I grew this year weren't as hot as most.
A variation of the Mahogany fire noodles, I made for 3 of us today, only one other person tasting it, despite the warnings. :LOL: by pepperhead212, on Flickr

I smoked a pork butt/shoulder.

CD

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom