Monday night dinner, July 15, 2024?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

medtran49

Master Chef
Rigatoni bolognese from Tuscan Kitchen. It is apparently a relatively new product at our grocery and was BOGO. Found with the fresh pasta in the refrigerated section. Sauce was in a boil in bag and cooked along with the pasta. We added the grated Parmigiano Reggiano. Not bad at all. I'm stuffed with my bowl and Craig went back for seconds, and I think he also finished up what he left in case I wanted more.

20240715_174118.jpg

I pulled some already cooked ground pork and onion out of the freezer. I made an old standby, "bachelor surprise". This time I seasoned with Madras curry powder paste and I added yogourt, but it didn't really make a sauce. Oh well, it was quite good. The veggies were a few asparagus, a couple of mushrooms, and stuff from the freezer: diced carrot, corn kernels, and broccoli. I had that over brown basmati rice. Strawberries and cream for dessert.

Bachelor surprise with Madras Curry Paste and yogourt sm.jpg

Last edited:
I pulled some already cooked ground pork and onion out of the freezer. I made an old standby, "bachelor surprise". This time I seasoned with Madras curry powder and I added yogourt, but it didn't really make a sauce. Oh well, it was quite good. The veggies were a few asparagus, a couple of mushrooms, and stuff from the freezer: diced carrot, corn kernels, and broccoli. I had that over brown basmati rice. Strawberries and cream for dessert.

View attachment 70004
taxy, my kinda supper!

Well, dinner was using the first heirloom tomatoes of the year and made 2 dishes. The first was a Caprese salad with local buffalo mozzarella, basil from my crop and a pretty good evoo, sea salt and lots of black pepper and a chili pepper.

The second was a ceviche using more tomato, diced, along with some cucumber and diced white onion, jalapeno, basil, lime juice and large diced blue fin tuna on toasted crostini brushed with garlic and evoo and of course some decent sea salt and fresh black pepper and had a bottle of Kim Crawford kicking around, so had that as well.

Well, dinner was using the first heirloom tomatoes of the year and made 2 dishes. The first was a Caprese salad with local buffalo mozzarella, basil from my crop and a pretty good evoo, sea salt and lots of black pepper and a chili pepper.

The second was a ceviche using more tomato, diced, along with some cucumber and diced white onion, jalapeno, basil, lime juice and large diced blue fin tuna on toasted crostini brushed with garlic and evoo and of course some decent sea salt and fresh black pepper and had a bottle of Kim Crawford kicking around, so had that as well.
Yum 😛

Bagel with creme cheese.

pictonguy, you have some buffalo near you? I'm jealous. I'd swap out the creme cheese for fresh buffalo mozzarella any time!
I sometimes see it in the stores here, but usually it is passed its prime. Still good but not fresh. There was a cheese specialty shop on the West Island (Mtl) that used to bring it in but only during the season (which I think was spring? or late summer? cant remember now.) Was horribly expensive.

Bagel with creme cheese.

pictonguy, you have some buffalo near you? I'm jealous. I'd swap out the creme cheese for fresh buffalo mozzarella any time!
I sometimes see it in the stores here, but usually it is passed its prime. Still good but not fresh. There was a cheese specialty shop on the West Island (Mtl) that used to bring it in but only during the season (which I think was spring? or late summer? cant remember now.) Was horribly expensive.
Yep, well they're not actually buffalo (bison) but water buffalo which is not the same as a breed of cow either. They're know for their richer fat and protein content and why in Italy they've used them for this product. Anyway we do have a local farm that produces and supplies those products. I also use this type of mozzarella for my pizza as well.

Last edited:
LOL - yeah, just found it in Stirling, ON, not too far from you?
While still in Mtl area, once searched for Water Buffalo farms but the only ones I seem to have found were here in Ontario. Although I think there was one much further east from me. All of them too far to travel for cheese!

I did not know they sold Buffalo meat. There's lots of Bison available out there, was a farm not too far from me on the Ontario/Quebec border. Their meat was available in our local stores all the time.

I think Lynn Crawford did one of her shows with Water Buffalo but cheese only, not meat.

Dragn, I can get water buffalo cheese from Lufa Farms. They have two different suppliers, both in Quebec. Yes, it's really expensive. There is some "Buffarella" on special and I'm getting some delivered today.

Here are the pages for the two suppliers:

Real genuine mozzarella is only from bufala, the rest (from cow's milk) is known as "fior di latte", milder taste, even though now we also call it all mozzarella, whichever animal produced it🤣.

Attachments

• BUFALE_Grasso.jpg
    BUFALE_Grasso.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 23
  • Foto-7_Art_5_Speciale_bufala_benessere_IZ8.jpg
    Foto-7_Art_5_Speciale_bufala_benessere_IZ8.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 21
Back
Top Bottom