Mon. Aug. 19th, '24 National Potato Day, Dinner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blissful

Master Chef
Celebrate potatoes today. Any kind will do, sweet potatoes, creamy yellow, fluffy white russets. Bake them, boil them, microwave them, air fry them, fry them, in a casserole, in a main dish, in a side dish, with a cream sauce, a cheese topping, ketchup'ed, crisped, mashed, pancaked, use your imagination.

We'll be having potato 'steaks'. Mashed and seasoned with onion powder, garlic powder, veggie powder, lemon, mixed with cooked diced onions and mushrooms, flattened onto patties (thick and thin) on parchment, and baked at 400 deg F until browning and a little crispy on the edges. Mushroom gravy or ketchup for serving.
bunny_010.jpg

and probably meal sized salads for dinner.

another favorite with mashed potatoes is to season them then portion them out onto parchment and bake, 'potato puffs'.
potatopuffs_004.jpg

Enjoy some potatoes with your dinner!

I actually have potato day written on my calendar. I have some red potatoes, but don't know if they are too old to use. Otherwise, I'd have to go buy some, and at 2:30, it is already 106F outside with a HI of 119F. The temperature doesn't peak for another two hours. I really don't want to leave the house to go buy some potatoes.

CD

I've been kicking around the idea of moving to Cape Cod for a few years now. I'm pretty handy, and have lots of tools. I can fix things around your house in exchange for food. ;) :ROFLMAO:

You seem to cook a lot of things I like to eat. (y)

CD
That could be fun, casey. But Cape Cod to my place is a couple of hours one way. A LOT longer in the Summer. Cape Cod is a nice place to retire or just live.

Or you could just drop by and we could cook.

I didn't know today was potato day. I have a recipe I've tried before that I'm dying to try again: Chantilly Parmesan Crusted potatoes. But tonight, I only had hot apple cider for supper.

I got refried beans from a Mexican restaurant on Friday and I've had tostadas with them three times now. But I ran into a problem. No, not that one. LOL I love refried beans and I've made a whole crock pot of them and never had a problem eating them before. Anyway, Saturday night I was up all night with acid reflux and last night ditto, only worse. Sixteen hours after eating tostadas I was still having acid reflux and yes, I was tasting beans. So...maybe too much at once?

Anyway, I had a sandwich for lunch today and just a glass of hot apple cider for supper and am now feeling pretty normal. The rest of the beans got divided into freezer bags and are now happily freezing in the freezer. I'll eat the rest very sparingly. Just everyone know that I'm looking at all your pictures and drooling on the monitor.

Got another question now. Can I chop up celery and freeze that?

Last edited:
@rodentraiser I hope you feel better soon. Some restaurants add lard to the beans to give them another layer of flavor and make them creamy. The lard is melted at body temperature and floats to the top of the stomach acids.

That could be fun, casey. But Cape Cod to my place is a couple of hours one way. A LOT longer in the Summer. Cape Cod is a nice place to retire or just live.

Or you could just drop by and we could cook.

If I ever get up your way, I'd love to cook with you. (y)

My ex wife and I used to vacation on Cape Cod, when it was hot as he!! here, and loved it. I've never done a winter on the Cape. I should probably stick my feet in that water before I invest a whole lot of money in a home there. :ROFLMAO:

Right now, I can't move away from Texas because I need to remain somewhat close to my 90-year-old mom.

I may do a trip up there this winter. I had planned a big vacation in NYC in the Spring, with reservations at the TWA Hotel, an architectural marvel. Then my mom had a stroke. NYC can wait, I gotta' look after my mom. She's doing pretty good now, so my sister has a cruise planned for November, and I'll work around that. One of us has to be here when the other one is not.

If I'm in NYC, a trip up to Massachusetts is an easy train ride. So, who knows.

CD

Last edited:
Oh look what I found, a post. It's been here waiting for me to click the "post reply" button since around 22:00 / 10 PM.

I sautéed some mushrooms and then added a couple of merguez sausages to the pan. I made a salad of green crisp lettuce, red oak leaf lettuce, as well as thinly sliced carrot and red onion. while that and he fingerling potatoes finished cooking. When sausages and 'shrooms were on my plate, I made a quick pan sauce. It was really good, especially on the potatoes. I think I have taken care of my mushroom deficit.

2024-08-19 Merguez, 'shrooms, fingerling potatoes, and a salad 1.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom