Kitchen "Candy" ~ Or, Look What I Just Got!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't like kale in most things. I definitely don't want to eat it raw. *shudder* But, I do like it the right kinds of soup.
I've seen it in soups before and it doesn't look all that bad. I suppose if it's cooked to death in a soup, it wouldn't be as gross as trying to eat it raw.

I've seen it in soups before and it doesn't look all that bad. I suppose if it's cooked to death in a soup, it wouldn't be as gross as trying to eat it raw.
It's also a good idea to slice it quit thin and then cut that crosswise to about 2" lengths, so you dont get long strings or too large a piece in your mouth at once. I regularly use it in Chef John's White bean and sausage stew. I only cook it for about the last 15 minutes. Even my late DH liked it in that soup, actually preferred it because, it had a little bit of "tooth" left.

I know a lot of people don't like kale. I steam a large amount let it slightly cool, turn it out of the steamer onto a cutting board. Then I cut it vertically and horizontally (little squares). Then I use it in soup or just a bowl of it with ac vinegar and nu-salt. This past week I take about 40 leaves (these are big and small from the garden), blend them with water, an apple and a peach. I drink that once a day for the raw nutrients. Once I got used to it, I love it. People from the south like their greens, I'm from the north but learned to like them. If it isn't your thing, move on to something else, try some chocolate silk pie.

It's also a good idea to slice it quit thin and then cut that crosswise to about 2" lengths, so you dont get long strings or too large a piece in your mouth at once. I regularly use it in Chef John's White bean and sausage stew. I only cook it for about the last 15 minutes. Even my late DH liked it in that soup, actually preferred it because, it had a little bit of "tooth" left.
Now that sounds mouthwateringly delicious. Bet that would be good with spinach as well.

I know a lot of people don't like kale. I steam a large amount let it slightly cool, turn it out of the steamer onto a cutting board. Then I cut it vertically and horizontally (little squares). Then I use it in soup or just a bowl of it with ac vinegar and nu-salt. This past week I take about 40 leaves (these are big and small from the garden), blend them with water, an apple and a peach. I drink that once a day for the raw nutrients. Once I got used to it, I love it. People from the south like their greens, I'm from the north but learned to like them. If it isn't your thing, move on to something else, try some chocolate silk pie.
Don't mind if I do! :ROFLMAO:

But yeah, I'm not a fan of greens. I do love spinach, though, both raw (in salads) or cooked. But I don't think spinach is considered a green? Not like turnip or mustard greens, I don't think.

But yeah, I'm not a fan of greens. I do love spinach, though, both raw (in salads) or cooked. But I don't think spinach is considered a green? Not like turnip or mustard greens, I don't think.
Dr. Esselstyn (specializing in heart disease) considers all greens. A mix of any of these is good stuff. Esselstyn's favorite 6 'greens' for NO (nitrates) production are KALE, SPINACH, SWISS CHARD, ARUGULA, BEET GREENS, BEETS. He's the doctor that did the study on hopeless cardiac disease patients that doctors gave up on, and they lived long lives after all the heart disease.
dr_esselstyn_leafy_greens.jpg

Spinach counts!

Dr. Esselstyn (specializing in heart disease) considers all greens. A mix of any of these is good stuff. Esselstyn's favorite 6 'greens' for NO (nitrates) production are KALE, SPINACH, SWISS CHARD, ARUGULA, BEET GREENS, BEETS. He's the doctor that did the study on hopeless cardiac disease patients that doctors gave up on, and they lived long lives after all the heart disease.

Spinach counts!
That's a beautiful display. Yum! Thanks :)

One of my favorite ways to eat spinach is to make a spinach salad with, of course, baby spinach, crumbled cooked bacon, sliced raw carrot, diced tomato and then sprinkled with parmesan cheese (grated or shredded, whatever I have on hand). It's so yummy I can eat it as-is without any dressing.

That's true. I've tossed chopped spinach into soups before and you can't really taste it, but I like the extra nutrients it provides.
That's what is nice about using kale that way. It still has flavour and texture. It actually tastes pretty good when it doesn't overwhelm, which it doesn't in the soup.

That's what is nice about using kale that way. It still has flavour and texture. It actually tastes pretty good when it doesn't overwhelm, which it doesn't in the soup.
Maybe I'll try that sometime, just to see if I can tolerate it. Because I surely can't stand the taste of it on its own. But for the nutrient value, it would be beneficial and worth it, as long as the nasty flavor is cooked out.

Spinach and artichoke dip with good tortilla chips. Yum!

CD

Maybe I'll try that sometime, just to see if I can tolerate it. Because I surely can't stand the taste of it on its own. But for the nutrient value, it would be beneficial and worth it, as long as the nasty flavor is cooked out.
Start by adding a small amount. Then, if you like it or can at least tolerate it, add a little more the next time and so on. You don't want to be worried about ruining an otherwise good soup.

You can just shove the kale in the freezer and take out as many leaves as you want. You don't have to blanch kale before freezing it. And now that I think about it, you probably should freeze the kale before using it. It makes it less bitter. Everyone I know who grows kale prefers to harvest some of it after the first frost, because it's nicer tasting that way. I won't say that makes it taste wonderful, but it helps.

Spinach counts!

I like seven of those greens, and eat a few of them on a regular basis. I'm 63, and my last cardiac exam went great! I'm lucky when it comes to heart disease from a genetic perspective. My best friend, also 63, has to be a lot more careful. Heart disease has been hard on his family.

Former President Clinton ate like Former President Trump does now, and had a heart attack. He is now a vegan. I'm thinking a vegetable to Trump is McDonald's French Fries with ketchup. :ROFLMAO:

Michelle probably makes Former President Obama eat lots of veggies, but I just know he sneaks a cheeseburger when she's not looking. But, I also know he can still sink a three-pointer from the corner.

The right diet for YOU is... well... the right diet for YOU. Discuss it with your doctor.

I hope this isn't considered political. :unsure:

CD

Start by adding a small amount. Then, if you like it or can at least tolerate it, add a little more the next time and so on. You don't want to be worried about ruining an otherwise good soup.

You can just shove the kale in the freezer and take out as many leaves as you want. You don't have to blanch kale before freezing it. And now that I think about it, you probably should freeze the kale before using it. It makes it less bitter. Everyone I know who grows kale prefers to harvest some of it after the first frost, because it's nicer tasting that way. I won't say that makes it taste wonderful, but it helps.
Adding a small amount at first is a good suggestion. And thanks for the tips.

Another thing I've seen people do is make kale chips. To me that's a little scary, but it's something I've been curious about.

I've said many times, I love spinach and romaine lettuce is my go to. But I also have to remember that there are certain cons for some people having too much leafy greens. I'm one of those people but it doesn't stop me. Spinach is in my diet a lot! Certainly not a lot of the others though.

Back
Top Bottom