ISO (In Search Of) copycat recipe for Old Bay?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

taxlady

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
I just checked the ingredient list and nutritional info for Old Bay. Woah! That's a lot of salt. One list said 50 something percent salt. Another list said 160 mg / 7% of RDA in 1/4 tsp / 0.6 gram serving.

1) That sounds outrageous, nutritionally. 2) I don't want to pay that much for salt.

So, does anyone have a TNT (Tried 'N True) copycat recipe for Old Bay?

there are many copy cat blends on line - not tried any of them personally.

as to salt... 160mg=0.07 RDA is an RDA of 2,285mg

one has to research which RDA by which 'government' body is 'in force'

UK has tables showing 5000-6000 mg per day . . .
the US Heart Association does not agree with the USDA 2300mg . . .

it's a very deep rabbit hole.

Yeah, but my point was that I don't want that much salt (over half according to one nutrient info table that I saw) when I am just trying to buy a seasoning mix. I can add all the salt I want at serving time if I use a copycat recipe.

I know there are lots of copycat recipes out there. But, I don't want to pick and choose between random recipes. I am hoping for a suggestion from someone here who has tried and liked a copycat recipe for Old Bay.

The proper RDA varies by person, too. I have a limit of no more than 2,000mg per day, due to kidney issues. 5,000mg in a day would put me in the hospital.

CD

Yeah, but my point was that I don't want that much salt (over half according to one nutrient info table that I saw) when I am just trying to buy a seasoning mix. I can add all the salt I want at serving time if I use a copycat recipe.

I know there are lots of copycat recipes out there. But, I don't want to pick and choose between random recipes. I am hoping for a suggestion from someone here who has tried and liked a copycat recipe for Old Bay.

I rarely use Old Bay, so don't have a CC recipe. What I do with CC seasoning blends (and BBQ dry rubs) is read four or five of them, and see what they have in common, then build a blend based on that. If I choose, I can then just cut the salt in half, or even leave it out. I can always add salt as I cook.

CD

Back
Top Bottom