Is oatmeal bad for you

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

georgevan

Senior Cook
I keep running across talk on the internet that oatmeal is bad for you. Is it bad or more internet doomsday gossip?

The word Healthy means so many things. It's all carbs so being that I'm diabetic, that's a problem. For someone else, it's a good carb with fiber and protein. It all depends on your goals.

Well, given that something like 90% of the population of the united states doesn't get the RDA (25-35 grams) of fiber, oatmeal comes to the rescue. I eat it or 9 grain rolled flakes every day, in the form of hot cereal with fruit, or oat-fruit cookies, or in black bean brownies, or in fruit-nut energy balls, or in the crust of a chocolate tofu pie,.....and on and on. It's fantastic for fiber and for feeling full for a few hours every day. It's so versatile, you can make oat milk from it, or add it to bread. My blood sugar is great (used to be prediabetic), my weight is just right (used to have lots more of that!), my blood pressure is normal (used to be high). So give some thought to having some and enjoy it.

Well, given that something like 90% of the population of the united states doesn't get the RDA (25-35 grams) of fiber, oatmeal comes to the rescue. I eat it or 9 grain rolled flakes every day, in the form of hot cereal with fruit, or oat-fruit cookies, or in black bean brownies, or in fruit-nut energy balls, or in the crust of a chocolate tofu pie,.....and on and on. It's fantastic for fiber and for feeling full for a few hours every day. It's so versatile, you can make oat milk from it, or add it to bread. My blood sugar is great (used to be prediabetic), my weight is just right (used to have lots more of that!), my blood pressure is normal (used to be high). So give some thought to having some and enjoy it.
Thanks I'll take your word for it

I've started eating oatmeal for breakfast ever since I was advised by my cardiologyst to go on a low-sodium diet (hypertension!) and advised low-cholestorol diet too. I had always been a little bit skeptical with regards to cereals, high Fibre products, and so on. Now I'm so glad I've finally come out of my ignorance, it's really quite tasty and much more filling than carbs)(the biscuits and cakes I used to eat before 😏). I'm ashamed to admit (being British born😁), that for the first time in my life, I made porridge! It was delicious, especially after adding other ingredients like dehydrated fruit, almonds, other nuts and half a teaspoon of honey. My daughter was impressed too, my son frowned, he's more into chocolate coated rice krispies😃.
Of course it isn't bad for you.

I keep running across talk on the internet that oatmeal is bad for you. Is it bad or more internet doomsday gossip?
I've seen those ads, too. It's some so-called 'doctor' trying to sell a new weight loss plan. He claims oatmeal is bad for you. He also claims that diet and exercise don't work. Only his plan works, but he won't tell you what it is unless you give him your information and pay for it.

It is total BS. Everything every doctor and scientist has ever told you is wrong, and only he has the answer. Sound like any politicians we know?

That's mostly charlatans trying to sell you something or getting clicks.

The truth is a little more elusive and we would really need to ask 2 further questions:

1) what is oatmeal?
2) who is eating it?

1) Are the oats the instant variety like cookies and cream with chocolate chips and honey or are you eating steel cut oats with added protein, nuts, seeds and berries.

2) Are you sedentary, overweight, have insulin resistance and diabetes or are you active, consume more of a whole food diet and basically exercise and considered healthy.

Last edited:
Also the RDI (recommended dietary intake) for fiber is based on AI (Adequate Intake) so in actual fact there isn't an RDI specifically and use the terminology to simplify it and AI is based on intake levels observed to provide a reduced risk of chronic diseases and to ensure adequate fecal bulk. Basically it's observational data based on epidemiology, which really has very little to do with fiber but the reduction of certain foods like UPF with whole food and because some of these foods have more fiber than in the highly processed comparisons, they give fiber the AI status which is used when there is not enough evidence to establish an RDI. Just thought I'd mention that.

Last edited:
I've started eating oatmeal for breakfast ever since I was advised by my cardiologyst to go on a low-sodium diet (hypertension!) and advised low-cholestorol diet too. I had always been a little bit skeptical with regards to cereals, high Fibre products, and so on. Now I'm so glad I've finally come out of my ignorance, it's really quite tasty and much more filling than carbs)(the biscuits and cakes I used to eat before 😏). I'm ashamed to admit (being British born😁), that for the first time in my life, I made porridge! It was delicious, especially after adding other ingredients like dehydrated fruit, almonds, other nuts and half a teaspoon of honey. My daughter was impressed too, my son frowned, he's more into chocolate coated rice krispies😃.
Of course it isn't bad for you.

I drizzle some good maple syrup (the real stuff) on my oatmeal. YUM! It doesn't take much, either, so you are not loading up on sugar.

CD

Natural sugars, like honey and maple syrup, with no added things like corn syrup or processed sugar, are much better for diabetics and those worried about taking in healthful things when used in moderation. The complex sugars make the body work hard to break them down, whereas simple sugars don't.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom