Is Arborio Rice medium or short grain?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BAPyessir6

Senior Cook
I've heard people use both terms when referring to Arborio, and it surprises me when I figure there would be a rather large difference between medium and short grain rice in general applications, or if you're kind of a food word snob like me and want to get it right. I always figured Arborio was a medium grain used for risotto, and the short kind for sushi/kimbap/bibimbap, (though I admittedly don't cook with Arborio rice much except for risotto). I was more wondering the grain type as I have very regimented and successful water ratios for all my different short/long/sticky rices, so I guess I might need a fourth ratio for medium. 🤓

I've served arborio over the years in mostly risotto's and arancini. Anyway arborio is basically a short to medium grain rice, and personally don't put as much emphasis or attention to the length of a rice but more in the way it behaves when and after it's cooked. My preference among the different arborio's is carnaroli for it's starch content and ability to maintain it's shape when cooked. I still make rice in a regular pot and don't use a rice cooker and my go to ratio is a certain level of water over the rice surface and I finish in the oven after the rice has come up to the boil, works well for me. I know most people use ratio's for rice but that's not something I personally do. As far as cooking arborio for risotto I use as much liquid as I need to get the desired consistency and mouthfeel. For people that have never made risotto before, don't wash the rice before cooking, starch is our friend. :)

Last edited:
Yeah I'm the camp of only having cooked arborio rice for risotto. I made arancini balls and they were fantastic.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom