In the kitchen..what are you very good at and which areas of cooking not so?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Years ago I bought an electric deep fryer with a little basket that you put the food into then lower it into the hot fat, just like the big boys.
It was a royal pain to clean so I went with LeCrueset 8.25-quart and a Chinese style brass and bamboo spider to deep fry. A big improvement.

I made banana donuts/ fritters a few weeks ago. I don't have a deep fryer, just a pot and thermometer. First time around I nailed it. They came out a little crispy on the outside/ doughy on the inside. Just the way like them. Made them last week again, with a little too much confidence ( due to the first time coming out perfect). Took me until the 3rd batch before they came out perfect. need to invest in a deep fryer. To my defense , second time around I introduced some chocolate chips into the batter, so I Gott a little bit of that burnt sugar taste to it compared to the first time.

***I love the brass spiders. It's one of those gadgets I got cause I think it looked cool. Didn't realize how much I'd use it and how practical and universal it is. I got a large and small one. Great for scooping out wontons from soup too!! ***

Linda, I don't think it's the least bit weird to try to avoid food waste.
I suppose you're right. I've just always thought myself to be strange when it comes to oil. Like if I have something I'm actually frying, such as breaded oysters or fried chicken livers (love those things) or something of that nature, I'll find the smallest skillet or saucepan possible so I don't have to use as much oil. Besides, it's only me eating those foods (my son won't touch either one) so I'm only making a small batch at a time. Even filling up my small Fry Daddy gives me anxiety. :rolleyes:

If I had a pet that INTENTIONALLY broke glasses and INTENTIONALLY spilled vanilla milkshakes, I wouldn't consider it a laughing matter. Sorry.
When I was in my late 20s my black lab couunter-surfed my turkey at friendsgiving. We were stoned so we laughed about it and ate the side dishes. Poor dog KNEW he did wrong but just couldn't help himself.

Now those look good. My son would love them. Thanks for sharing :)

I too hate messing with deep fryers. I actually have a pretty nice one, but I rarely ever use it. I have a psychological issue with dumping a ton of oil into deep fryers, knowing I'm only going to use it once or twice. Then I've just wasted all that oil, plus I have to find some way to dispose of it. Normally I just wait until it's cool, then dump it into a strong zipper bag. But I still always feel 'guilty' for dumping out all that beautiful oil, lol.

Weird? Yeah. Guess I am.

So when it comes to fried chicken (whole bone-in pieces) I plop the chicken parts into a zipper bag that contains flour, salt & pepper and paprika, then put into a pan that has melted butter in it, coat the pieces around in the butter, then shove into oven. It smells heavenly, that chicken 'frying' in the butter, and the chicken always comes out perfect.
That was probably the first way I ever cooked chicken. It was good. Wait, actually it was the second way I cooked chicken. The first way was Shake 'n Bake, which was where I got the idea. I forgot about cooking chicken like that. Thanks for the reminder.

Last edited:
That was probably the first way I ever cooked chicken. It was good. Wait, actually it was the second way I cooked chicken. The first way was Shake 'n Bake, which was where I got the idea. I forgot about cooking chicken like that. Thanks for the reminder.
Shake 'n Bake, yes! LOL. Wow, I haven't used that for a long time, but I used to cook chicken with that as well.

"It's Shake 'n Bake! And I helped!"

:ROFLMAO:

Shake 'n Bake, yes! LOL. Wow, I haven't used that for a long time, but I used to cook chicken with that as well.

"It's Shake 'n Bake! And I helped!"

:ROFLMAO:
Oh my, I remember those ads from the 1960s. I moved to Canada in 1974. My boyfriend was raving about Hamburger Helper. He made it for us once. I watched. I said that, yes, it was tasty, but I could do something similar, but better from scratch. That was my thought too, when I tried the Shake 'n Bake. There were probably two pouches in that box I bought, so I would have made it twice. I'm pretty sure I didn't buy it again after that. I can see how those are helpful if you don't know how to cook. Maybe it is helpful for someone who is tired or in a hurry. I was making my own versions at a time when I had a lot more time than money, and I was young and full of energy.

Oh my, I remember those ads from the 1960s. I moved to Canada in 1974. My boyfriend was raving about Hamburger Helper. He made it for us once. I watched. I said that, yes, it was tasty, but I could do something similar, but better from scratch. That was my thought too, when I tried the Shake 'n Bake. There were probably two pouches in that box I bought, so I would have made it twice. I'm pretty sure I didn't buy it again after that. I can see how those are helpful if you don't know how to cook. Maybe it is helpful for someone who is tired or in a hurry. I was making my own versions at a time when I had a lot more time than money, and I was young and full of energy.
Believe it or not, I still buy Hamburger Helper to make for a quick week night dinner when I'm pressed for time. I don't make it often, but it works for a quick meal.

Believe it or not, I still buy Hamburger Helper to make for a quick week night dinner when I'm pressed for time. I don't make it often, but it works for a quick meal.
It makes sense to me. If you enjoy it and it's easy and quick to make, why not? As I remember it, it was tasty. That's pretty much all I remember about it. It was a long time ago.

Shake'n Bake - did both chicken and then a Pork Chop version. I used to love them! At the time I wasn't into nor had time for do-it-yourself.
Hamburger Helper - only purchased them a couple of times - they were just too salty! Even back then I was leery of it.

I made Hamburger Helper recently. Philly Cheesesteak variety. It was awful.
I don't like that one either :yuk:

I personally like Tuna Helper better. But there's a Betty Crocker recipe called "Quick Italian Soup" that uses a box of the lasagna Hamburger Helper, plus other ingredients, and it's actually quite delicious.

Animals are animals - don't make the mistake of thinking they can reason like you or I.

I've never made "fried chicken" the way I've mostly read about. Don't have a deep fryer dedicated to such stuff and don't really want one. The few things I've ever fried in deep fat has the smell lingering for days - blech.
So like you Linda - I've found that "oven fried chicken or fish" is the way to go!
Recipe Tin Eats has one.
Oven Fried Chicken try it you'll love it!
Making this tonight for my son's dinner. I've got an awful cold and have had no appetite this week, so only got out enough tenderloins for him. But I'm sure he'll let me cut off a piece to try. The only thing I'm doing different is using honey mustard instead of Dijon, which neither of us is a fan of.

Back
Top Bottom