I hate silicone...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marmalady

Executive Chef
Recently got 2 of the new silicone 'pastry' brushes and they are fantastic! No more picking out bristles from the pastry or BBQ! They do look a little weird, tho!

We don't have any of those up here. I will try WalMart though, failing that, some of our department stores should have them.

I bought one at BB&B.... it is a stroke of genius. It was only $5, works great. I used it first to paint olive oil on quartered zuchini before grilling, and I think it was actually easier to paint on a very thin coat of oil that it ever was with any of my old brushes. And it didn't tend to push the pieces all over the plate (didn't even have to hold on to them)... it was more flexible than a standard brush.

I plan on picking up a couple more of them... :chef:

marmalady said:
Recently got 2 of the new silicone 'pastry' brushes and they are fantastic! No more picking out bristles from the pastry or BBQ! They do look a little weird, tho!

-- You pick out the bristles? I've always viewed them as a good source of dietary fibre. :ROFLMAO:

I'm wary of "plastics" in cooking. The silcon spatula says it's safe to 350 F, but I don't use it to stir a pot. I finally bought a non-stick pan, for omlettes and crepes, but nothing else.

It took some searching to find a wok that wasn't non-stick coated.

I know people who microwave food in various plastic containers. I can't help but think about all those plastic molecules that are forming chemical bonds with the food.

And you put anything oily in a plastic container and it seems that the container is "forever oiled."

So, kitchenware for me is by and large stainless, pyrex, cast iron, ceramic, wood. I have silicon spatulas, and melanine utensiles for the non-stick pan, but I don't trust them to be heated much.

-- Maybe I'm wrong on all this?

I have a silicone spatula/spoon that is rated at 450' F. It has lived up to its claim. I use it for stir-frying, and moving around foods in sauces and such. It's also great for getting the last bits of sauce from a pan, or mayo from the jar.

On the downside, it has an affinity for soap and is difficult to get to nutrality. That is, if I'm not very careful, it can have enough of a soap residue left on it to spoil a good dish. It is too flexible for scraping food that is jsut starting to stick to a pot. a good nylon, or steel spatula does that better.

It has its place in my kitchen, but is not the super-tool I thought it was going to be. And it has to be meticulously rinced with hot and fresh water after washing.

The basting brushes seem like a very good idea though. I will be getting one soon.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Goodweed - I had a similar problem with my first silicone spatula that was only rated up to 350-F ... but I don't have that problem with my new ones (from another company I guess) that are rated for 650-F. Something different in the composition that doesn't have that chemical affinity for soap.

I'm glad to hear the success stories about the silicone brushes. I've tried nylon and the regular hair brushes and just never felt I was really getting them clean when I washed, and washed, and washed them and often threw them out and replaced them after 2-3 uses. The silicone brushes, like the silicone baking mats, will save me money in the long run.

Daphne - if the plastic is "food grade" then the plastic molecules are not bonding to the food. The only bonding that is going on, as you noted about when you put something oily into plastic and it stays oily forever, is that the plastic and fat are such closely related chemical cousins that the oil bonds to the plastic - even without heat. This is more common with softer, more flexible, plastics (such as that used in Ziplock and GladWare containers). This can also be a problem with nylon, to a somewhat lesser degree depending on its formulation. This is not a problem with a rigid plastic like polycarbonate. It's also not a problem for silicone.

My favorite cooking utensils are wood. For my nonstick pans it's with wood or silicone. For everything else ..... primarily wood but I will use metal for SS or cast iron when I need to.

I totally agree with your comments Michael.

I prefer to use SS in my wok, especially for my fried rice (My only 100% success :chef:) Nothing like the clang of a hard working wok. :LOL:

Mind you, I've been on the look out for a SS pallette knife, and have had to settle for a silicon job.

Now speaking of the various materials, horses for courses (if you will), what about implants? Silicone, wood or stainless steel? :ROFLMAO: :LOL: :ROFLMAO:

LMAO on your last question, Brooksy. Silicone has been shown to be rubbish. Go for the wood if you like a natural, organic look and the stainless if your taste runs to sleek and contemporary.

Alix said:
Don't make me get out my wooden spoon to smack your hands you guys...

Yes Mom......

7.gif

Just so long as you're wearing your silicone body suit. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Brooksy said:
Now speaking of the various materials, horses for courses (if you will), what about implants? Silicone, wood or stainless steel? :ROFLMAO: :LOL: :ROFLMAO:

Giggle, smirk. Thanks for the good laugh, brooksy. :LOL: :ROFLMAO: :LOL: :ROFLMAO:

I don't own any silicone utensils or other silicone kitchen items. I have been curious how well they work.

Last edited:
Sierra you could get me into an awful lot of trouble, but, generally the more gentle "utensils" were made of latex, but in the new world where things must be done a a far greater pace it was found that even with the variable speeds, latex was failing. Silicone now gives greater life expectancy to things like the old "zoom sticks".

As for kitchen utensils, yes, silicone gear it quite good. I have found however that the cheaper tools don't like being left in a pan on heat and tend to deshape a little.

As far as the others, my preference is "au naturale" as God created, regardless. Mind you though, if swimming is a pasttime then wood is a good choice and environmentally more responsible incase anything happens :rotfl:

You're gunna get me shot Sierra asking questions like that... :LOL:

SierraCook said:
Brooksy, I would never try to get you in trouble. :innocent:

That's like saying truuuusssttt me....... :ROFLMAO:

What do you reckon about Alix in her skin tight Silicone cooking outfit. :ermm: :ohmy: :ROFLMAO: :shock:

My daughter just sent me a text message:

An oriental gentleman rang his boss and said "Me too sick to work today." The boss said,"When I'm sick I make passionate love to my wife."

A couple of hours later the oriental gent rings back,"Me ok now. By the way, you have nice house."

:LOL: :ROFLMAO:

Alix said:
We don't have any of those up here. I will try WalMart though, failing that, some of our department stores should have them.

Alix - talked to youngest son this afternoon and he said his WalMart carries the silicone pastry brushes - about $2.95 each.

so in our terms Alix they would be about $6-10......you know how it works....hehehehe

I miss you...sheesh....give me a shout when you get home

Silicone, fun for the masses

I personally love silicone (in the kitchen that is). I use silpats, roul'pats, silicone brushes, spatulas, and even silicone muffin "pans" and love the results with all of them. I am especially fond of silpats, I don't know what I would do without them. Roul'pats are great when I work with chocolate. My silicone spatulas are rated at 650F and I have never had a single complaint with them. I do like wood utensils and use them a ton. I prefer olive wood and good ol' bamboo, both for their strength.

As for silicone outside of the kitchen I honestly feel it has absolutely no place... Au natural only!

Back
Top Bottom