Christmas Songs You Love and Hate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dr morbius

Senior Cook
There are several threads on this topic, but each of them date back more than ten years. So a new thread seems, to me, an appropriate idea.

I am surely not the only one who rolls their eyes when Christmas season comes around because the inevitable Christmas carols begin playing in every store. I confess, there are many carols I just can't stand, some because of overplay and others because, well, they just weren't all that good in the first place and were successful owing to a sentimental mood at the time of their release.

But there are others that are pretty good, too.

At the bottom of my list, the Christmas carol I loathe the most, is Jingle Bells. It's dumb, it's repetitive, and if you're over 10 you've outgrown it. There are many others I dislike, but none more than Jingle Bells. At the top of the list I suspect many would offer Fairytale of New York, the terrific offering from The Pogues in 1988, and it is admittedly a great song. But my favorite is Linus and Lucy, by Vince Guaraldi, from A Charlie Brown Christmas.

I would have to say my favorite 2 are "Winter Wonderland", and Vince Gill's version of "Blue Christmas". He did a video for it that took place during WWII in Europe.

I can't say that I HATE or even dislike any Christmas songs, I'm a sucker for holiday music.

I cannot access YouTube while I am at work, which is the bulk of the time I am on this board. Please, while you're posting your links, could you also provide the titles?
I’m glad I’m not the one paying you for your time at work!😤😤😤. I would think that surfing would be a leisure time activity!😇😇😇

I do like Rudolph the red nosed reindeer, but generally by about the 20st of December, I'm ready to slaughter him ;)
It's just played too often!

Our two radio stations that we listen to started playing carols continuously on Thanksgiving day and are still playing them, over and over. One gets sick of same, same, same.
My favorite is Adeste Fideles, in Latin. My least favorite is Walking in a Winter Wonderland. Having lived in upstate New York for years, I know for certain winter is not a wonderland!

Our two radio stations that we listen to started playing carols continuously on Thanksgiving day and are still playing them, over and over. One gets sick of same, same, same.
My favorite is Adeste Fideles, in Latin. My least favorite is Walking in a Winter Wonderland. Having lived in upstate New York for years, I know for certain winter is not a wonderland!
Years ago I lived in Niagara Falls and they piped Christmas music in the streets around the convention center for the tourists from Thanksgiving to New Years. I got so I hated the sound of Johnny Mathis!!! 🤭

I’m glad I’m not the one paying you for your time at work!😤😤😤. I would think that surfing would be a leisure time activity!😇😇😇
I work as an overnight dispatcher for a courier service in Chicagoland. We don't expect a whole lot of business; we're only open 24/7 because there are certain accounts we can't keep unless we're open 24/7. The real challenge is staying awake most of the time, although it does sometimes happen that we're busy. I suspect the reason YouTube is prohibited is that all those videos are created by different users, and the lady in charge of IT is leery of dangers inherent in unknown sources of content. I can and do watch Disney Plus and Amazon Prime Video and Tubi, from time to time. When I'm too bored to do anything else.

My superiors know I spend time on the internet. The job gets done. There is no quota. It's about making sure our clients are taken care of. I've been doing this overnight shift for about ten years now.

I work as an overnight dispatcher for a courier service in Chicagoland. We don't expect a whole lot of business; we're only open 24/7 because there are certain accounts we can't keep unless we're open 24/7. The real challenge is staying awake most of the time, although it does sometimes happen that we're busy. I suspect the reason YouTube is prohibited is that all those videos are created by different users, and the lady in charge of IT is leery of dangers inherent in unknown sources of content. I can and do watch Disney Plus and Amazon Prime Video and Tubi, from time to time. When I'm too bored to do anything else.

My superiors know I spend time on the internet. The job gets done. There is no quota. It's about making sure our clients are taken care of. I've been doing this overnight shift for about ten years now.
I have worked night shift in hospitals and a nursing home. Doing what you can to stay awake can be a large part of the job. Often you are mostly there for the occasional patient / client who needs to be dealt with now.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom