Hurricane Milton

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

medtran49

Master Chef
Florida is going to get slammed again. Hurricane Milton is going to hit the west coast with the cone of the center being anywhere from Naples, which is pretty much due west of where we are over on the east coast, up to the Tampa/St. Petersburg area, which is about mid state.

Our DD and DGDs live just a little to the south of the middle of the cone so are going to get hit with hurricane conditions regardless. They are leaving the house tomorrow to head inland to the middle of the state because they are in a red evacuation zone. Their house is only a couple of years old so...

Craig and I will get bad weather, heavy rains and winds, to super bad weather depending on where it hits. The storm has been shifting south the last few updates so that's a bad thing for us.

Prayers going up for you & Craig, and your family.

I have family in Ocala and Orlando, have you heard anything about those 2 cities?
They are more in center of state, but are still going to get weather. How bad depends on where center makes landfall and what side of the hurricane they are on.

Hurricanes are HUGE, even the smaller ones, and cover hundreds of miles with their weather. Hurricanes tend to have dry and wet sides. The wet sides are called the dirty side and will always have the worst weather of the storm.

They are more in center of state, but are still going to get weather. How bad depends on where center makes landfall and what side of the hurricane they are on.

Hurricanes are HUGE, even the smaller ones, and cover hundreds of miles with their weather. Hurricanes tend to have dry and wet sides. The wet sides are called the dirty side and will always have the worst weather of the storm.
Thanks so much, think I'm going to make some phone calls after lunch and check on people.

Do they always twist in the same direction? ie - if they are traveling south to north, twisting from west, up to north, over to east, back to south. If this is so, the west side gets the dirty?

I've never noticed if the dirty side is always in the same quadrant. But, circulation is always the same on this side of the equator, but, like water, it's the other way on the south side of the equator.

Florida is going to get slammed again. Hurricane Milton is going to hit the west coast with the cone of the center being anywhere from Naples, which is pretty much due west of where we are over on the east coast, up to the Tampa/St. Petersburg area, which is about mid state.

Our DD and DGDs live just a little to the south of the middle of the cone so are going to get hit with hurricane conditions regardless. They are leaving the house tomorrow to head inland to the middle of the state because they are in a red evacuation zone. Their house is only a couple of years old so...

Craig and I will get bad weather, heavy rains and winds, to super bad weather depending on where it hits. The storm has been shifting south the last few updates so that's a bad thing for us.
I've been watching some live coverage on Fox, it's just so shocking and heartbreaking watching everyone abandoning their homes.
I hope you and your family will be safe, and my thoughts are with you and the whole population.

Do they always twist in the same direction? ie - if they are traveling south to north, twisting from west, up to north, over to east, back to south. If this is so, the west side gets the dirty?

I've never noticed if the dirty side is always in the same quadrant. But, circulation is always the same on this side of the equator, but, like water, it's the other way on the south side of the equator.
The northeast quadrant of Milton is the dirty part. I know there have been hurricanes with 1 of the west quadrants as the dirty part, so obviously can be in different places.

Well, the good thing is that Milton as a whole has picked up the speed it's moving, from 9 to 12 to right now 16 MPH. The quicker it moves means it has less chance to strengthen and less time it will spend in an area. It's also supposed to weaken a bit shortly before it makes landfall, though it's still going to be really, really bad.

We will start getting tropical storm conditions here early this afternoon, which will continue for about 14-18 hours, as it depends on exactly where landfall is, and how fast the storm continues to move once it makes landfall. Rain obviously, sustained winds of 25-35 MPH, with gusts up to 50 MPH, possible isolated tornadoes as the storm moves through.

Well, the good thing is that Milton as a whole has picked up the speed it's moving, from 9 to 12 to right now 16 MPH. The quicker it moves means it has less chance to strengthen and less time it will spend in an area. It's also supposed to weaken a bit shortly before it makes landfall, though it's still going to be really, really bad.

We will start getting tropical storm conditions here early this afternoon, which will continue for about 14-18 hours, as it depends on exactly where landfall is, and how fast the storm continues to move once it makes landfall. Rain obviously, sustained winds of 25-35 MPH, with gusts up to 50 MPH, possible isolated tornadoes as the storm moves through.
Stay safe and keep us posted!

It's getting really breezy here. We just got back from running a quick errand and getting some lunch. Something really weird happened while we were out that has never happened before. My ears popped and I started getting a pressure feeling in my sinuses and a low level headache. Told Craig pressure couldn't possibly be falling that fast, but I still have that feeling, and the headache is getting worse.

I've been sensitive to pressure ever since I had an incident while ascending from a 100+ foot dive years ago. My ears wouldn't clear as we were coming up, even with the time we had to take for decompression stops. By the time we hit the surface, I had a pinhole and a badly bruised eardrum, with severe vertigo. Couldn't dive for months and, when I was able to again, had to always leave plenty of air for the ascent so I could take it super slow.

Anyway, I hope this isn't a harbinger for hurricanes to come.

Last edited:
Would wearing earmuffs help? I have something like this. I know they are more for sound but, well, just a thought.
Sorry you have to suffer that as well as the possibility of dangers from the storm.

Would wearing earmuffs help? I have something like this. I know they are more for sound but, well, just a thought.
Sorry you have to suffer that as well as the possibility of dangers from the storm.
No, you don't want anything obstructing your ears when there are pressure changes.

Found out since posting about pressure that Milton has had the lowest pressure level of any hurricane in the Atlantic basin since they started measuring and recording. This makes it the the strongest hurricane since recording started.

Last edited:
We got hardly any weather, way, way less than what we were supposed to get.

DD and DGDs are waiting where they evac'd to for news about their house. They know water was up to and in the lower part of their driveway and they had some construction and landscape debris before things got too bad for even their police friend to be out.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom