How to cook dried figs and prunes.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BML

Assistant Cook
Many years ago I remember my mother serving us stewed figs and prunes with custard and I would like to try some now. The problem is that I looked in a Health food outlet and there were so many different types of prunes I had no idea which ones to go for so could anyone suggest which ones I buy, where I buy them and how I should cook them.
Many thanks in anticipation.

The only stewed prunes that I have any experience with were made from dried Sunsweet breakfast prunes with pits from the grocery store. I used to take a quart jar with a tight fitting lid, fill it halfway with prunes, fill the jar with boiling water and pop on the lid. When the prunes cooled I put the jar in the refrigerator and they were ready to use the next day.

Image.aspx

Last edited:
Many thanks, your reply makes sense to me.

I also use Sunsweet prunes. But I place the prunes in a pot with lemon slices (rind and all just wash lemon well and slice into rounds, remove pits). Cover with water by 2”, bring to boil and simmer for 5 minutes. Cover pot and allow to cool. Place in covered container and refrigerate. I like to drink the lemon and prune juice.

My mom used to make a combination of prunes, dried apricots, raisins simmered in water and maybe sugar.

I also use Sunsweet prunes. But I place the prunes in a pot with lemon slices (rind and all just wash lemon well and slice into rounds, remove pits). Cover with water by 2”, bring to boil and simmer for 5 minutes. Cover pot and allow to cool. Place in covered container and refrigerate. I like to drink the lemon and prune juice.

+1 ^
I do the same, as my Mom did. There's something special about the lemon slices and love to drink the juice also.

I also use Sunbsweet and I'm in Sweden. We take prunes, cook them in water, sugar and then add potato starch to make a thick soup and serve cold with cream.

Many years ago I remember my mother serving us stewed figs and prunes with custard and I would like to try some now. The problem is that I looked in a Health food outlet and there were so many different types of prunes I had no idea which ones to go for so could anyone suggest which ones I buy, where I buy them and how I should cook them.
Many thanks in anticipation.

I'm curious about your memory of the stewed fruit with custard. I've not heard of that but it sounds interesting. Can you further expand?

I love custards with dried fruit! Those with figs are my favorite.

Plump the dried fruit before adding to the custard.

As others posted, I like to use hot liquid. So I usually slightly warm a bit of cognac (for prunes and figs), Grand Marnier (for currants), or dry white wine (for golden raisins) and put both fruit and liquid in a baggie for at least 30 minutes, turning several times.

Placing in a baggie exposes more of the fruit to the liquid than placing both on a plate or in a bowl.

My current favorite custard is made with cognac, dried chopped figs, vanilla, toasted blanched almonds, cardamom, and a touch of sugar. Served warm - yum!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom