How do you cut your potatoes for mash?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
one of the 'challenges' to making nice smooth mashed potatoes . . . is avoiding any lumps.

now, lumps are usually the result of 'insufficient mashing' - could be short-cutting the hand mixer time, could be marginally cooked chunks . . .

my own personal approach is to - boil the chunks - rice the chunks - this ensures there's no lumps . .
then use a hand mixer to convert the riced potatoes into mashed potatoes - using the usual butter&milk.

for company, the potatoes get peeled. for just us chickens, not peeled - as mentioned the skins bunch up in the ricer - I use a fork to 'clean up the grate' before inserting more chunks/cubes/quarters/whatever. it is not uncommon that some bits of skin get thru the ricing operation.... which... dang! don't we all old geezers seek "more fiber?"

doing Dutchess/etc - that requires piping the mashed out to a "form" then doing a second oven bake to brown. a different 'thing' than plain ole' 'mashed potatoes'

one thing I "discovered" - totally by accident . . . - make the mashed, put in serving dish and put in a hot oven for 20-30 minutes. that "post mash bake" produces heaps and piles of ooohs and aaahs . . . it changes the consistency a big - and is major 'technique' demand in our house.
I actually like lumpy mashed potatoes, especially if they're made with red potatoes and partial skin is left on.

Otherwise, I'll eat them either way. Mashed potatoes is one of my favorite things in the world.

I actually like lumpy mashed potatoes, especially if they're made with red potatoes and partial skin is left on.

Otherwise, I'll eat them either way. Mashed potatoes is one of my favorite things in the world.
I like mine with pork gravy the best (or any other flavor as a second choice) and spinach on the side. That’s one of my favorite easy, easy on my tummy, and meatless meal.

I use a waffle masher. We do have a good size ricer, but I generally only use that when making gnocchi.

For those of you that like mash really smooth, you could always use a tamis and a scraper. Some come with different size mesh inserts, and they also double as a sifter.

Don't know that I've ever seen a tamis here, albeit I've never looked for one. Have only seen them on some cooking shows, mainly British.

Don't know that I've ever seen a tamis here, albeit I've never looked for one. Have only seen them on some cooking shows, mainly British.
I've only seen them on TV and once in a very high end cooking stuff store.

Don't know why it stuck in my head, but a long time ago saw one of Robert Irvine's shows where he said he only wanted silky smooth mashed potatoes and used a tamis to get them that way.

Back
Top Bottom