How do you cut your potatoes for mash?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

medtran49

Master Chef
I've always chunked them, placed in cold water (see kitchen pet peeves thread), salted, then cooked until soft.

Was watching ATK this morning and they made a Duchess potato casserole dish. They halved lengthwise, then sliced the Yukon Gold potatoes they used for the dish about 1/2 inch thick, cold water, salt, etc. I think I'll try their recipe for a holiday dinner because it looked really good, plus was a lot easier than traditional Duchess potatoes.

Anyway, they are right that slices will cook more even and faster than chunks.

Last edited:
If they are small and medium red potatoes I'll boil them whole and mash them with the peel. If they are russet potatoes I'll boil them whole, stick them in faucet cold water until I can handle them, peel them with the back of a knife, then cut them and mash them.

It depends on the type of potato, and the size. I have found that if you boil red or white potatoes, or other potatoes of that general size, whole, without peeling them, for 15 to 20 minutes and then squeeze them through a potato ricer, the potato comes out through the holes and the skins stay behind. I don't even own a potato masher.

Last edited:
I cut them into big chunks.

For a holiday meal I peel and cut them in the morning, cover them with water, refrigerate. At cooking time I drain and recover before putting on to cook.

I’ve read that some folks add baking soda to the initial soaking water and I have done that with fresh cut French fries but never for mashed.

I can’t remember the last time I made mashed potatoes. I’ve had to become more careful about choosing the carbs on my plate. 😢

I've seen several "recipes for 1 or 2" of mashed potatoes. sometimes I get a craving and have discovered it is now obviously simple!

Mashed Potato for 1 (or 2)
One potato, I cube fairly small to cook quicker. Fairly large, 6 - 8 oz if you have a scale. Peeled or not, up to you.
Pat of butter, glug of milk, s & p.
Boil your potato and use a fork to mash it, no need to get fancy with a masher for such a small amount. How well you mash, smooth or lumpy is up to you.
Add your extras, mix up with your fork - done - eat.

I've always chunked them, placed in cold water (see kitchen pet peeves thread), salted, then cooked until soft.

Was watching ATK this morning and they made a Duchess potato casserole dish. They halved lengthwise, then sliced the Yukon Gold potatoes they used for the dish about 1/2 inch thick, cold water, salt, etc. I think I'll try their recipe for a holiday dinner because it looked really good, plus was a lot easier than traditional Duchess potatoes.

Anyway, they are right that slices will cook more even and faster than chunks.
I'll just ditto this because that's how I do mine, peeling them before chunking them.

one of the 'challenges' to making nice smooth mashed potatoes . . . is avoiding any lumps.

now, lumps are usually the result of 'insufficient mashing' - could be short-cutting the hand mixer time, could be marginally cooked chunks . . .

my own personal approach is to - boil the chunks - rice the chunks - this ensures there's no lumps . .
then use a hand mixer to convert the riced potatoes into mashed potatoes - using the usual butter&milk.

for company, the potatoes get peeled. for just us chickens, not peeled - as mentioned the skins bunch up in the ricer - I use a fork to 'clean up the grate' before inserting more chunks/cubes/quarters/whatever. it is not uncommon that some bits of skin get thru the ricing operation.... which... dang! don't we all old geezers seek "more fiber?"

doing Dutchess/etc - that requires piping the mashed out to a "form" then doing a second oven bake to brown. a different 'thing' than plain ole' 'mashed potatoes'

one thing I "discovered" - totally by accident . . . - make the mashed, put in serving dish and put in a hot oven for 20-30 minutes. that "post mash bake" produces heaps and piles of ooohs and aaahs . . . it changes the consistency a big - and is major 'technique' demand in our house.

I don't normally make my mashers with egg yolks, which is a defining ingredient in Duchess Potatoes. Although I know some add an egg but generally speaking mashed potatoes do not.

But I do agree totally that using a ricer can really help with the smooth!

Last edited:
LOL, Aunt Bea, we've all heard about mashed potatoes that suddenly turn to glue. Praise the powers it has never happened to me although a friend once told me it happened to her. I'd rather have lumps. :LOL:

Surprisingly, my bro buys powdered from Cosco. They are quite passable! I am impressed.

He has never cared for cooking but since his wife had both a stroke and heart attack within days of each other, and is now confined to a wheelchair with limited use of her hands, he is now the chief cook and bottle washer. He does an amazing job and so does she!

doing Dutchess/etc - that requires piping the mashed out to a "form" then doing a second oven bake to brown. a different 'thing' than plain ole' 'mashed potatoes'

one thing I "discovered" - totally by accident . . . - make the mashed, put in serving dish and put in a hot oven for 20-30 minutes. that "post mash bake" produces heaps and piles of ooohs and aaahs . . . it changes the consistency a big - and is major 'technique' demand in our house.
ATK had a show making a casserole Duchess potato. Looked and sounds good enough to try.

I would never use a mixer for mash, makes them gluey.

Back in the mid 1970s, I got my first blender. I had never used a blender before. One of the things I tried making in it was mashed potatoes. Oh dear me, that got gluey. It was so gluey that it was hard to clean. You should be able to use that as a gluten substitute. I have not used anything like that for making mashed potatoes since then. I have used a potato masher, a whisk, and food mill.

To answer the question, I cut the potatoes into largish chunks. I keep reading, on Danish cooking websites, that one shouldn't salt the water when boiling potatoes to mash. I haven't made mashed potatoes often in the past few years, so it is taking me a while to decide if it makes a difference and if that difference is an improvement.

Back
Top Bottom