Have several apples I don't know what to do with

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Linda0818

Head Chef
While I like apples on occasion (usually peeled and sliced and dipped in peanut butter for snacking) I have several that I'd really like to find something yummy, maybe something different, to use them for/in. I don't know what type of apples these are. They were some weird name of apple that I've never heard of before. So I have no idea what type of dish or recipe they would be best used in, i.e. I don't know if they're tart or sweet or somewhere in between, as I haven't eaten any of them yet. Maybe one of you can identify them?

So... what do you do with apples when you don't even know what type you're using???

Attachments

• Apples.jpg
    Apples.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 9
The ones in the photo kinda' look like Fuji apples, which are good just for eating. That maple apple glaze I put in another thread a day or two ago is good, on pork or on something like waffles.

CD

Last edited:
I sometimes use apples - with pork. I also put an apple or two in my "chicken in curry". So, it doesn't have to be pork. But, I think apple would be good in a variety of recipes that have "curry flavours".

I haven't tried it yet, but might be trying it soon - Andy's apple walnut cake.

I’m getting too lazy to cook so I would probably just eat one every day until they are gone. 🤭

Applesauce is easy.

Peel, core and slice the apples, put them into a heavy pot with a tight fitting lid, add a tablespoon or two of water and bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes stirring every so often until the apples begin to break down. Season with sugar, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, to taste. Serve warm or chill.

while supper was being dished out, my sister would pop a peeled and rough chopped apple into the microwave - season it, zap it, dish out supper, mash with a fork and serve.
First time I saw her do it, you probably would have won an award for a picture of my face. Don't know why but I was in total awe! It was done so matter of fact-ly - Reaching for the salt and pepper, setting the table, chatting about nothing at all the entire time. LOL.

Thanks for the suggestions so far. They are good ones.

I think the applesauce idea is nice. Maybe I could make a slightly chunky version. And I do enjoy apples with pork.

I've never put apples in the microwave before. Interesting.

Had someone asked me to make some applesauce I would have gotten out a pot. I'd never have thought of the microwave.
It was chunky, just a tiny bit of sugar and I don't remember if she used anything else (like cinnamon) but I do remember it was good!

Had someone asked me to make some applesauce I would have gotten out a pot. I'd never have thought of the microwave.
It was chunky, just a tiny bit of sugar and I don't remember if she used anything else (like cinnamon) but I do remember it was good!
I love cinnamon applesauce. And I'd have never though of the microwave either.

I watched a video once where someone baked a whole apple in the oven. I can't recall what all they did to it, though. I think they added butter and cinnamon-sugar. It looked okay, but not real appetizing. And then I saw another video where someone baked whole apples in the oven and they shriveled up and looked disgusting and the juice that flowed out of the apples during baking burned onto the sheet pan and was black as night. You know, like slabs of flat, charcoal looking stuff. So those videos kind of put me off of trying to do that myself.

So maybe the microwave is the way to go. Do you recall how long she microwaved the apples?

Have no idea. But... supper was about ready when she started it. It made me curious as to why she peeled an apple just before we ate.

Back
Top Bottom