Happy New Year!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I also wish everyone here and all the extended family, a very very Happy and Better New Year.

I also want to thank everyone here, just for being here, loves yuhs all! hugs to everyone! virtual, of course.

HAPPY HAPPY NEW YEAR, EVERYONE!

Attachments

• giveurselfahug.GIF
    giveurselfahug.GIF
    27.2 KB · Views: 80
NEW YEAR'S RESOLUTION
I resolve to stop calling Chicken Pies "Chicken Pot Pie"
They are NOT the same thing !

new year a.jpg

Last edited:
NEW YEAR'S RESOLUTION
I resolve to stop calling Chicken Pies "Chicken Pot Pie"
They are NOT the same thing !

View attachment 44754

Erm, what is the difference? Inquiring minds need to know!

Happy New Year, everyone!!!

In 2019, I made Hoppin' John soup to take to a New Year's Eve party. About half of the revelers ate it. Those that ate it, like me, had a fairly okay year during 2020. Yes, the closures and headaches, but all-in-all, I really cannot complain compared to many. In retrospect, I felt pretty lucky as my health held out, etc.

Skipping to this year, I made it again hoping that luck holds out. Despite all of my "higher education," I continue to be strangely superstitious. I do wonder whether anyone else has lucky traditions?

Attachments

• 2021-01-01.jpg
    2021-01-01.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 56
LT, that might be Bell & Evans definition, but I have to say it is not universal. Back home in OH, my only experience with pot pies, chicken or otherwise, was Banquet or Swanson's. When we moved to MA, I needed to pick up something for a quick supper on a day of much errand running. I grabbed a "chicken pie" made by a local company. Imagine my surprise when we broke the crust...it was just crust, chicken, and sauce. NO veggies. I have since learned that IF I want to buy one at the store, I make sure the label calls it a "chicken pot pie". That one will get me the veggies, too. Better yet, though, I just make them myself now.

...Despite all of my "higher education," I continue to be strangely superstitious. I do wonder whether anyone else has lucky traditions?
Not so much lucky traditions, but I do have a serious superstition during baseball games. When I was little, my Mom's brothers had a tendency to drop by on Saturday evenings - maybe one, maybe both, maybe not at all. But when they did, they would play cards. Whoever was winning made sure they didn't take a bathroom break because it would "change their luck". This morphed into a superstition my Mom had - if the Cleveland Indians were winning, we did not go to the bathroom. :LOL: It's amazing how long one can go without going...:ROFLMAO:

Happy New Year! May you all stay healthy, and have a productive and enjoyable garden (or whatever your hobby is) in the year ahead!

Last edited:
"Erm, what is the difference? Inquiring minds need" to know!

Chicken pie is exactly that - Ingredients in a pie tin / dish, with a crust ........

THIS is Chicken Pot Pie........ similar ingredients, in a POT, with wide noodles........

https://www.bellandevans.com/recipe/pennsylvania-dutch-chicken-pot-pie/

I'm stuck on pot pie being with a crust. I thought a chicken pie was just with chicken and gravy but a chicken pot pie had veggies. Interesting. I wonder whether it is something regional. If you falter on your NY resolution, I won't hold it against you. ;)

Not so much lucky traditions, but I do have a serious superstition during baseball games. When I was little, my Mom's brothers had a tendency to drop by on Saturday evenings - maybe one, maybe both, maybe not at all. But when they did, they would play cards. Whoever was winning made sure they didn't take a bathroom break because it would "change their luck". This morphed into a superstition my Mom had - if the Cleveland Indians were winning, we did not go to the bathroom. :LOL: It's amazing how long one can go without going...:ROFLMAO:

Thank you for sharing that! I love rituals for luck or superstitions - no matter what they are! Your family may be grateful that I cheer for another baseball team because there is zero chance of my making it through a baseball game without a bio break! Perhaps when I was younger....but...well, not even when I was younger. :ROFLMAO:

I really like that New Year's wish by Neil Gaiman.
+1

Back
Top Bottom