Garlic for 2024, one new variety this year

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I still have about 8 More hanging in the garage waiting to be used. If they last through June, then I will have successfully planted harvested enough for a full year, which was my goal. One of my issues is at about 10 months storage , they start to sprout. I dont mind the sprouts, but the bigger they get, the quality of the clove goes down. This year only a few sprouted, I try to use the ones that are sprouting first.

Of the garlic we don't use for seed, or give away or share, 90% of it gets peeled by the quart (quick blanch, slip off the peel), then minced in the food processor, and packed into zip lock bags and flattened, or jars and frozen.
wpackagedforfreezergarlic.jpg

freezerjars-003.jpg

Last year I grew 400 bulbs with the intent to dehydrate slices and make, what I hope, is a life time supply of garlic powder. Boy, was that a long project! 400 bulbs was way too many to cure and process. Plus, I am at the point that I have begun to hire help to continue to garden. I am not as agile as I used to be and weeding has gotten to be beyond my capabilities. I have a woman who works between 4 and 8 hours a week to help keep my garden in shape. Anyway, here are photos of my garlic making powder project. There are 2 and a half pounds of powder in the mylar bags and I estimate 5 quarts of powder once the dehydrated slices in the jars are processed. Plus what I have used over the winter.

Attachments

• garlic powder_IMG_0390.jpg
    garlic powder_IMG_0390.jpg
    171 KB · Views: 11
I still have about 8 More hanging in the garage waiting to be used. If they last through June, then I will have successfully planted harvested enough for a full year, which was my goal. One of my issues is at about 10 months storage , they start to sprout. I dont mind the sprouts, but the bigger they get, the quality of the clove goes down. This year only a few sprouted, I try to use the ones that are sprouting first.
I can't know for sure but it seems to me that if we have a less humid fall and let the garlic cure (hanging under protection from rain) in the wind for a month, then it lasts the longest. A 2 week cure and they won't last all winter.
We have little to no sprouting after last fall with a long cure time. I don't remember if we had a lot of humidity or rain last year.
I'm guessing you had a long cure time to make them last so long.

samplegarlic1.jpg

Last edited:
The Music stores very well, and is one of the larger ones, as well. The Estoninan Red, while the largest I have grown, is also the worst one for storing, which is why I grow only 40-45 every season, and use it first (and plant the largest in Oct.). The Georgian Fire stores a little better, and is almost as large, so I use that second. Metechi, while one of the smaller ones I grow, lasts until the next harvest! It never made sense that the smallest would store the longest!

I have never been a fan of dried garlic, even when I did it myself. I think it has something to do with the oxidation of the sulfur compounds - like what happens with the fresh if it sits around too long minced up. When I was first starting out cooking, and fresh garlic was not always available where I was, there was dry "minced" garlic, which was better, IMO, and those pieces, before dehydrating, must have been ¼" or so, which is probably the reason - much less surface area, and less of the "juice" to oxidize. But now, I'll stick with the fresh. Back then all we had was dried basil, too, and I can't remember the last time I even saw that! :LOL:
How times change...

After picking my garlic, I let it dry a few days out in the sun, then I put them on a wire screen, tops hanging off and blow a fan on it for a week or two. Finally, I have a bunch of screws in my garage wall so I put them in bunches oof 4 -6 (depending on bulb size) and hang the bunches on my garage wall. usually 4 -6 bulbs last a month my house, so I=I can tell how many months left just by looking at the wall. ( I have 1 1/2 bunches left, it's going to be close). I also bunch them by the look of their outer skins. The ones that are paper white and dry, I know will last longer. The ones that are slightly yellow and feel a little tacky, need to be eaten first. A small percent do dry out and are inedible,

Back
Top Bottom