Fudge in vacuum container?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SlowCook66

Senior Cook
Hi,

If my fudge is kept in a vacuum packed container in the fridge and I take it out and leave it on the counter, will the fudge warm up slower since it’s in a vacuum packed container? Or there’s no difference and it’s temperature will rise at the same rate regardless if it’s vacuum packed or not?

Vacuum sealing definitely helps with fudge storage by preventing it from drying out or absorbing fridge odors. However, it won't significantly impact how fast the fudge warms up. That's mainly because thermal conductivity is dominated by the fudge itself, not the container. So, if you leave your fudge out on the counter, it'll warm up at about the same rate regardless of the vacuum seal. The fudge will come to room temperature pretty quickly, so if you prefer it softer, you might only want to take it out for a few minutes before enjoying it.

Vacuum sealing definitely helps with fudge storage by preventing it from drying out or absorbing fridge odors. However, it won't significantly impact how fast the fudge warms up. That's mainly because thermal conductivity is dominated by the fudge itself, not the container. So, if you leave your fudge out on the counter, it'll warm up at about the same rate regardless of the vacuum seal. The fudge will come to room temperature pretty quickly, so if you prefer it softer, you might only want to take it out for a few minutes before enjoying it.
Thanks for your reply. The more think about it the more I am actually thinking of commercializing it. The problem is if I send it to a grocery store, when stocked on the shelf it’s ok because the store’s temperature is approximately 18-20 C. But if a customer buys it and brings it in the car on a hot day it softens up but doesn’t completely melt. I’m just wondering what else I can do to preserve its hardness and make the fudge a little more stable? It’s just to preserve it for the car ride home until the customer can put it back in the fridge in which it will harden again. Would you have any ideas ?

What is it lately with so many folks showing up here with questions about starting a food or beverage business? And the questions are nearly always about packaging and labeling. Is there something in out title that says we are either a branch of the FDA or professional marketers?

I'm sure there are legitimate sources for that kind of information on the internet. I certainly hope none of them are actually relying on our top of the head answers.

What is it lately with so many folks showing up here with questions about starting a food or beverage business? And the questions are nearly always about packaging and labeling. Is there something in out title that says we are either a branch of the FDA or professional marketers?

I'm sure there are legitimate sources for that kind of information on the internet. I certainly hope none of them are actually relying on our top of the head answers.
Yes of course there is legitimates sources for this. But it’s more complicated than just coming up with a recipe and hiring someone about packaging. Unfortunately things aren’t always as simple as you may think when it comes to timing. Also you should not be discouraging anyone who is asking questions about safety and packaging when commercializing a product, cause you know, it could be you buying and consuming my product one day, and I’m sure you would like the manufacturer to be as most informed as possible. In any case, cooking processes along with storage of desert is all part of recipes. If my question bothers you I simply invite you to go to the next one! Or maybe have yourself start your own desert and commercializing it 😀😉

✌️

My point, which you seem to have missed, is that WE ARE NOT EXPERTS ON FOOD SAFETY AND PACKAGING! (Yes, I'm yelling). If you and others want correct information, you should be looking to professional sources. If anyone replies with "I think....", you should NOT listen to them. If someone comes along with a link to a proper governmental agency publication (I'm looking at you, GG), follow that link and get the facts. There is way too much misinformation on foodie forums to put any trust in what any of of say for a commercial enterprise.

Also no "reputable" grocery store is going to carry your product unless you can provide licenses and certificates from government food agencies. Plus liability insurance incase someone chokes on a fingernail found imbedded in the fudge or whatever.

and yes, I believe in fact, Silversage is a professional chef, so I'm therefore pretty sure cognizant of the commercial, legal, health, issues involved.

Far from being discouraging Silversage is in fact encouraging you to look in the best correct areas for the info needed.

Thanks for your reply. The more think about it the more I am actually thinking of commercializing it. The problem is if I send it to a grocery store, when stocked on the shelf it’s ok because the store’s temperature is approximately 18-20 C. But if a customer buys it and brings it in the car on a hot day it softens up but doesn’t completely melt. I’m just wondering what else I can do to preserve its hardness and make the fudge a little more stable? It’s just to preserve it for the car ride home until the customer can put it back in the fridge in which it will harden again. Would you have any ideas ?

As a consumer, and one living in Texas, I assume it is my responsibility to get something cold home the best way I can. I pack all my cold groceries in an insulated shopping bag, and I drive straight home from the store. When I know I'm buying something that can melt, and can't get it home very quickly, I bring a cooler with a few blocks of Blue Ice.

I'm sure there are chemicals you can add that will make it stay firm at higher temps, but what's the point of selling "homemade" fudge if is is just as full of chemicals as big corporation factory fudge?

There is only so much you can do if you want to sell delicious, wholesome foods to people.

CD

Also no "reputable" grocery store is going to carry your product unless you can provide licenses and certificates from government food agencies. Plus liability insurance incase someone chokes on a fingernail found imbedded in the fudge or whatever.

and yes, I believe in fact, Silversage is a professional chef, so I'm therefore pretty sure cognizant of the commercial, legal, health, issues involved.

Far from being discouraging Silversage is in fact encouraging you to look in the best correct areas for the info needed.
All of that is taken care of and your reply went nowhere lol…. And that’s not the scope of this post. Just like the other guy can’t stand that this post may be off topic to the forum, well your post is off topic to mine…. So your advice hasn’t advanced me . Thanks anyways

Last edited:
My point, which you seem to have missed, is that WE ARE NOT EXPERTS ON FOOD SAFETY AND PACKAGING! (Yes, I'm yelling). If you and others want correct information, you should be looking to professional sources. If anyone replies with "I think....", you should NOT listen to them. If someone comes along with a link to a proper governmental agency publication (I'm looking at you, GG), follow that link and get the facts. There is way too much misinformation on foodie forums to put any trust in what any of of say for a commercial enterprise.
Sometimes although one speaks about packaging there’s nothing wrong in getting an alternate point of view. For example such a problem can be solved by saying keep it out for a few more hours which may solve the issue. But you can’t think that far and you should stop being agressive and screaming for nothing. I told you, you could just skip this post.

And by the way, many people talk about cling wrapping food so it stays fresh longer, isn’t that part of packaging 🤷🏻‍♂️. Or even putting contents in plastic Tupperware and then freezing it making it usable for months, isn’t that a form of packaging, because honestly, with that kind of information, I could simply use it and make an adequate packaging and freeze my recipe and make it part of my commercialization process simply by listening to advice. Simple advocated storing practices discussed all over this forum can be tweaked and used as a packaging ideas and then be discussed with agents. Being informed is best. I think you’re pissed off that I’m looking for informations for selling something! Shane on you, That’s a poor man’s mentality!

As a consumer, and one living in Texas, I assume it is my responsibility to get something cold home the best way I can. I pack all my cold groceries in an insulated shopping bag, and I drive straight home from the store. When I know I'm buying something that can melt, and can't get it home very quickly, I bring a cooler with a few blocks of Blue Ice.

I'm sure there are chemicals you can add that will make it stay firm at higher temps, but what's the point of selling "homemade" fudge if is is just as full of chemicals as big corporation factory fudge?

There is only so much you can do if you want to sell delicious, wholesome foods to people.

CD
Thanks for replying, yes you’re right, it is the customers responsibility to make sure foods that are sensitive to heat are stored correctly while taking them home. But I don’t know if everyone does this. When I shop for ice cream for example, meh even on a hot day I just put it in the car and what happens happens. But yes, there’s also the fact that most people now a days have AC in their vehicles. The thing is, when it’s stored in fridge/freezer or at 22C ambient temperatures or less, It is still hard. But if it’s above that, especially above 24C it still holds its shape but it’s soft to the touch. That’s what I am a little worried about. Maybe, just maybe, after my fudge is made I leave it out for 2-3 days and let it dry up at room temperature so it hardens by its self, and then store in fridge making it overall a harder product,IDK!!! but I’m scared the dryness will alter the overall freshness.

My agent last I met her, (we don’t always speak because I’m waiting for machinery to come in, so I’ll call when everything is set) told me about the possibility of adding some additive to make it harder, but this might change the taste and I want to keep it natural.

If someone has an idea on how to harden the fudge after it’s set, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks

How about telling stores that the fudge needs to be kept in the refrigerated section. Just because some fudge doesn't need refrigeration doesn't mean that some wouldn't be better refrigerated. Supermarkets sell pickles that are made with vinegar on regular shelves. The pickles that are fermented and not pasteurized are in the refrigerated section. Yeah, maybe people won't find your fudge as easily in the refrigerated section, but they will get a superior product and it should be obvious to them that it needs to be chilled. If I find a food item on the regular shelves, I assume that it's fine to store them at room temperature unless they say to refrigerate after opening.

How about telling stores that the fudge needs to be kept in the refrigerated section. Just because some fudge doesn't need refrigeration doesn't mean that some wouldn't be better refrigerated. Supermarkets sell pickles that are made with vinegar on regular shelves. The pickles that are fermented and not pasteurized are in the refrigerated section. Yeah, maybe people won't find your fudge as easily in the refrigerated section, but they will get a superior product and it should be obvious to them that it needs to be chilled. If I find a food item on the regular shelves, I assume that it's fine to store them at room temperature unless they say to refrigerate after opening.
I will take all your advice and compile a solution for sure!

Thanks for your valuable input !

Back
Top Bottom