Friday (not Thursday) evening eats 2024 October 25th, (not the 24th)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

taxlady

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
Did you enjoy your evening meal? What did you have?

I had a strip loin steak, potatoes out of their jackets, and beets with lemon and butter. I really enjoyed that. I didn't bake the potatoes, I nuked them. The beets were small ones from a jar, so that dish got nuked too. It's one of my favourite ways to serve beets. Beet haters usually like that dish. It's the first time I made it with caned beets, but it worked fine.

2024-10-25 Striploin steak, potatoes out of their jackets, and beets with lemon and butter1.jpg
2024-10-25 Striploin steak, potatoes out of their jackets, and beets with lemon and butter4.jpg

I used the "cold sear" method to cook that steak. It should have been thicker, which is probably why there is a grey ring around the outside, but it tasted great.

Last edited:
taxy, I may be very wrong, but understand something, - food photography is very specific and difficult (on that I'm not wrong, said my bro and I'll bet casey would back me up - brownies are on the way casey). So although your steak may be cooked a slight more thicker into the surface, with a professional photographer I doubt you would see a "grey" ring at all.

Your supper looks great!

Pulled a Beef stew I had made from the freezer. Hit the spot.

am marinating the chicken thighs... seeing as I didn't get around to marinating them earlier, so I'll have them tomorrow.

EDIT:
OK, this should be in Friday night menu - this thread is too mixed up to change LOL

Last edited:
taxy, I may be very wrong, but understand something, - food photography is very specific and difficult (on that I'm not wrong, said my bro and I'll bet casey would back me up - brownies are on the way casey). So although your steak may be cooked a slight more thicker into the surface, with a professional photographer I doubt you would see a "grey" ring at all.

Your supper looks great!
Are you saying that the steak that Lan Lam cooked probably had a grey ring? I think that would be harder to hide in a video as compared with still photography.

In any case, I enjoyed the steak and would do it that way again. I like this method. It seems lower stress than other methods I have tried.

Last edited:

Your supper looks great!

Okay, as a professional car photographer, may I say that although I am a top level car photographer, as for food, what I have learned as a photographer is that professional food stylists make pro photographers like me look good, when we are actually idiots. Seriously, they do the all of the hard work, and overpaid guys like me make a pretty picture. I am honestly in awe of what professional food stylists do.

My food photos on this forum may sometimes look nice to you, but in my mind, they rate somewhere between reasonably okay and completely iPhone crap. Definitely not my best work.

As for the forum members reading this, post your food photos. Who cares how good they look... post them. I love seeing your food, and don't care if it is a little off color or not perfectly in focus. This is a food forum, not photography forum. I love seeing your pictures!

CD

As for the forum members reading this, post your food photos. Who cares how good they look... post them. I love seeing your food, and don't care if it is a little off color or not perfectly in focus. This is a food forum, not photography forum. I love seeing your pictures!
I absolutely agree. Photo's of food, no matter the color or focus, is what inspires me to drag my fanny to the stove.

No taxy, I am not saying that there is a ring in their meat. I'm saying there is a possibility that it is not as we see it. Purposely or not.
Were you aware that in food magazines some of the ingredients are not even cooked - perhaps the green beans, or carrots or potatoes? It's done solely to enhance the picture. Perhaps it has been spritzed with water or something to give it a shine, etc. Things like that. I am also not saying they did! I'm just saying that some things are not as we see them.
It is an excellent video, America's Test Kitchen groups are one of my go-to cooking food and research sites.
And . . your steak looks absolutely scrumptious - 99.9% better than any I've ever cooked!

I absolutely agree. Photo's of food, no matter the color or focus, is what inspires me to drag my fanny to the stove.

No taxy, I am not saying that there is a ring in their meat. I'm saying there is a possibility that it is not as we see it. Purposely or not.
Were you aware that in food magazines some of the ingredients are not even cooked - perhaps the green beans, or carrots or potatoes? It's done solely to enhance the picture. Perhaps it has been spritzed with water or something to give it a shine, etc. Things like that. I am also not saying they did! I'm just saying that some things are not as we see them.
It is an excellent video, America's Test Kitchen groups are one of my go-to cooking food and research sites.
And . . your steak looks absolutely scrumptious - 99.9% better than any I've ever cooked!

I also get inspired to cook by looking at pictures of good food, even if the photos are blurry and a bit off color. When I am hungry, but feeling lazy, I can watch a food video on YouTube, and I'm ready to trash my kitchen to make something good to eat. Of course, there is no YouTube video that can inspire me to enthusiastically clean my kitchen after I trash it. :ROFLMAO:

And yes, the few times I have worked with professional food stylists, the actual food was not edible. Seriously, it could not be eaten. Also some of the easiest money I ever made. The food stylist spent a whole lot of time preparing the "food" for the photos, then I stepped in with my camera and lights, and in ten minutes, I had beautiful photos.

CD

BTW, there are now two threads for October 25. This one for Thursday October 25, and I started another one for Friday October 25. October 25 gets 48 hours, instead of the usual 24 hours. It is special.

BTW, very nice looking steak, Taxy. (y)

CD

Accidental 2nd Thread for Thursday's menu - 1st Thread is here
More like accidental misnaming the day of the week. I had a look at the title of the notification email for this thread and asked myself, "Did you really put the wrong day of the week with that date?" Sheesh. I was a bit surprised when today was Saturday. But, I put the date in the file names of lots of things, so I had that right. *Sigh*

Dragn', do you mind changing the day of the week in the title from Thursday to Friday, please?

And yes, I know that food for magazines, etc., where a food stylist has done their magic, probably isn't edible any longer. I've seen a video of a stylist working on food for a photo shoot. :ohmy:

OK folks, am not merging as I don't really think it matters which day it is and the fact that many will want their individual post changed from one to another thinking they had the other post and blah, blah, blah...

I have changed the thread name only.

Back
Top Bottom