Flat Dumplings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Roll_Bones

Master Chef
I asked about a recipe from years ago called Popeye. My first wife made these dumplings and I loved them.
I remember lots of eggs and of course flour. They were rectangle shaped.
But I remember the amount of eggs that went in it. Several eggs but I do not have this recipe.
I want a dumpling that is between a fluffy dumpling and a pasta noodle. That has a solid texture and they are not light by any means.
Anyone have an idea. I have copied a few recipes from the internet, but since this forum is my go to food question outlet I am asking here.
I will cook these in my chicken stock I plan to make today.

Thanks John

My mom used to make those and I wish I had her recipe I could give you, but I'm not sure she even had one. My mom was a fantastic cook/baker and many of her 'recipes' were in her head.

But those were the best dumplings ever. Instead of poofy and fluffy, they were flat (well, almost flat) and dense and square or rectangular-shaped. So delicious. And they would be in this creamy, savory gravy with tons of shredded chicken.

Outstanding. Comfort food at its finest.

This is a fortified noodle using flour, eggs, milk, and butter. They can be seasoned with salt, or chicken soup base, garlic/onion powder, and herbs if you like.

Ingredients:
3 eggs,
3 tbs. soft butter
1 tsp salt, or 2 tbs. chicken soup base
2 cup strong flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 cup milk
Optional: garlic powder, onion powder, rubbed sage, rosemary

Whisk together the eggs, and butter until smooth. Add the water, salt, or soup base, and whisk until well combined. Add seasonings. Knead until you have formed a smooth ball. Place ball onto a floured surface and roll into a square, about 1/8th inch thick. Cut dough into diamonds. Cook for 7 minutes in soup broth.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Tip: roll thinner to make Chinese style filled dumplings.

My mom used to make those and I wish I had her recipe I could give you, but I'm not sure she even had one. My mom was a fantastic cook/baker and many of her 'recipes' were in her head.

But those were the best dumplings ever. Instead of poofy and fluffy, they were flat (well, almost flat) and dense and square or rectangular-shaped. So delicious. And they would be in this creamy, savory gravy with tons of shredded chicken.

Outstanding. Comfort food at its finest.
Thanks Linda. Yes the recipe I remember was an old family favorite dumpling. They called it Popeye. I have no way of asking for this recipe and I'm certain my ex wife would not even consider making them as she is a low fat subscriber.
And most likely has not enjoyed full fat anything for 40 years.
But back then she made them and ate them.

This is a fortified noodle using flour, eggs, milk, and butter. They can be seasoned with salt, or chicken soup base, garlic/onion powder, and herbs if you like.

Ingredients:
3 eggs,
3 tbs. soft butter
1 tsp salt, or 2 tbs. chicken soup base
2 cup strong flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 cup milk
Optional: garlic powder, onion powder, rubbed sage, rosemary

Whisk together the eggs, and butter until smooth. Add the water, salt, or soup base, and whisk until well combined. Add seasonings. Knead until you have formed a smooth ball. Place ball onto a floured surface and roll into a square, about 1/8th inch thick. Cut dough into diamonds. Cook for 7 minutes in soup broth.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Tip: roll thinner to make Chinese style filled dumplings.

Thanks Chief. Sure sounds like its worth a shot. The 3 eggs make it sound like you may have hit it.

Hi, I have a recipe for Czec. dumplings that you scoop out with your hands and drop into boiling water. Makes 3 large or 4 smaller, then you slice them. The recipe calls for diced bread in them. Is this anything like you are looking for? I will post recipe if it is.

Last edited:
Could they have been saying Pot Pie instead of Popeye?

Some people refer to them as slicks.

https://sortedfood.com/recipe/10450

https://www.bellandevans.com/recipe/pennsylvania-dutch-chicken-pot-pie/

If you don't care to make them check the noodle aisle in your local market.

https://www.pennsylvaniadutchnoodles.com/our-products/square-pot-pie-egg-noodles/

That's what I was thinking. More than likely it's Pot Pie because there's a traditional Dutch pot pie that's made with the square noodles/dumplings. I make it now and then. It's delicious.

IMG_20231126_140629723.jpg

This is my Mom's recipe, she called it either Popeye or Pot Pie. I never saw the name of it written down, only spoken. My girlfriend calls them noodles, and my best friend calls them dumplings. We traditionally had it after Thanksgiving with the leftover meat tossed in a broth that was made with the turkey carcass. To make it healthier I tend to use coconut oil instead of Crisco, but any fat that is solid at room temperature works. If you add spices I recommend onion, garlic, paprika, and pepper. I have made a scaled up batch with 16 cups of flour and it turned out fine. I cut it into about 1cm squares, 0.5cm thick. It freezes well, when you want soup just toss the frozen squares into your boiling broth. The longer it simmers the better it gets.

I love our family's recipe for dumplings. Other's I've seen are more complicated recipes and this one is simple. I don't know whether it is because these are what I grew up eating or not, but others do not compare.

For the Thanksgiving side dish, it is this:
AP flour - make a well
Add an egg, some salt and 15 "bomps" of pepper. (A bomp is a squeeze on the old metal cans of pepper.)
Mix it with your hand.
Add a scant cup of warm broth.
Knead until smooth. Ball it up and let it rest while you scrap dumpling dregs from your hands.

Flour a spot and roll them out as thin as you can. Cut them into rectangles, squares or some other four-sided shape. Drop them one at a time into boiling broth (8 cups or so.) Stir when you feel you are needing new spots to place them. Cook 15 minutes at a simmer. (It will look like you cannot fit them all in. You can.)

The recipe is easy to adjust. I add celery and carrot when making chicken and dumplings. One can add spices if they want. At Thanksgiving, we use turkey broth.

Those look very, very scrumptious, Kathleen!

I'm wracking my brain trying to remember if I've ever heard/seen/eaten these and I cannot.

How very interesting. Do you think I could just reduce everything for a single serving?

Wouldn't you call this pasta rather than dumplings?

Or are they called dumplings because they're simmered on top of a stew/potpie/soup?

If you use 8 cups of broth, I'm guessing there would be about 6 cups left when finished, maybe less. What do you do with it? Soup? Gravy?

Kathleen, you mention you sometimes add carrots, celery. How? Diced? Grated? Incorporated right into the dough?

I'm wracking my brain trying to remember if I've ever heard/seen/eaten these and I cannot.

How very interesting. Do you think I could just reduce everything for a single serving?

Or are they called dumplings because they're simmered on top of a stew/potpie/soup?

If you use 8 cups of broth, I'm guessing there would be about 6 cups left when finished, maybe less. What do you do with it? Soup? Gravy?

Kathleen, you mention you sometimes add carrots, celery. How? Diced? Grated? Incorporated right into the dough?
They are served with chicken and dumplings, or the like. Depending on where you are, you'll be served slicks, like RB is asking about, which are basically egg noodles, or the puffy type of dumplings.

I cook my chicken in chicken broth plus a mirepoix and some thyme or poultry seasoning, take the chicken out to cool then shred, use the immersion blender to pulverize the vegetables, add some thick carrot slices or chunks, cook until done, then use cornstarch if needed to thicken, add the shredded chicken back, and then add dough for puffy dumplings, cover so the dumplings cook.

If I use slicks, which I rarely do anymore as my dad didn't like the puffy dumplings and he passed several years ago, I'd cook in the broth after I pulverized the vegetables, adding some broth if needed to thin so they would cook correctly.

Last edited:
Could they have been saying Pot Pie instead of Popeye?

Some people refer to them as slicks.

https://sortedfood.com/recipe/10450

https://www.bellandevans.com/recipe/pennsylvania-dutch-chicken-pot-pie/

If you don't care to make them check the noodle aisle in your local market.

https://www.pennsylvaniadutchnoodles.com/our-products/square-pot-pie-egg-noodles/
Very well could be Aunt Bea. I can see how easily that could be the case. Thanks.
Welcome to DC, @inscribson!

I missed this thread completely. @Roll_Bones, do you mean dumplings such as these?

View attachment 66995
They look much thinner than I remember. But the dough could be the same. The 5 eggs makes me think it is.
Update:
I found a recipe for Pennsylvania Dutch dumplings and have started making them. I may have shared that here? Not sure?
As close as I can remember but lighter.
Thanks all.

They are served with chicken and dumplings, or the like. Depending on where you are, you'll be served slicks, like RB is asking about, which are basically egg noodles, or the puffy type of dumplings.

I cook my chicken in chicken broth plus a mirepoix and some thyme or poultry seasoning, take the chicken out to cool then shred, use the immersion blender to pulverize the vegetables, add some thick carrot slices or chunks, cook until done, then use cornstarch if needed to thicken, add the shredded chicken back, and then add dough for puffy dumplings, cover so the dumplings cook.

If I use slicks, which I rarely do anymore as my dad didn't like the puffy dumplings and he passed several years ago, I'd cook in the broth after I pulverized the vegetables, adding some broth if needed to thin so they would cook correctly.
I grew up with the puffy, biscuit style, dumplings.

Those can be cooked in simmering fruit sauce, maple syrup, milk, or a flavored corn starch thickened sauce for a sweet dessert version. 🐷🐷🐷

Last edited:

I doubt it, but you could freeze the extras prior to cooking them and use them later.
Only if you want Granny to burst from her grave and smack you silly. ;) Some did call them "slicks."
The dumplings pretty much fill the pot. Stir to keep them from sticking. Add liquid if they get too dry.
At Thanksgiving, they are served as is like a side dish. The liquid is a bit like a gravy and goes oh so well with dressing. :yum:
It depends on who I'm serving. If they are veggie-haters, I will dice them rather small. Otherwise, sliced or coarsely diced. I cook the veggies until they are nearly done and then add the dumplings. Then add the cooked chicken during the last five minutes. Sometimes, I will thicken with a bit of cornstarch.
I grew up with the puffy, biscuit style, dumplings.

Those can be cooked in simmering fruit sauce, maple syrup, milk, or a flavored corn starch thickened sauce for a sweet dessert version. 🐷🐷🐷
Memaw called the puffy, biscuit-style dumplings "drop dumplings." Also very yummy with the right broth or sauce!

Back
Top Bottom