Eyes and Cataracts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dragnlaw

Site Team
Staff member
Well, sign of the times! Seems I'm going to have cataract surgery. No date yet, gotta wait for the phone calls.
Not an emergency nor particularly urgent. Still recommended to do it now rather than wait.

My complaint was EVERY thing was foggy/hazy and I was cleaning my glassed constantly, not to mention I was squinting at everything. The computer screen, the TV, my phone, I was living in a world were nothing was really in focus. Don't know why it took me so long to complain about it.

I play a hidden object game on my computer. There are, of course, many challenges, but the one I'm working on now is completing 5000 'pictures' without a loss. I'm at 4309 - the higher you get the more difficult to find the objects - it has taken me ages so wish me luck! Just a little under 700 to go! :LOL: fuzzy sight and all!
Asked the doc if I should stop ...
he told me keep going -
won't make your eyesight worse nor make it better,
and hopefully it might help your screwy brain a little, (but don't count on it)

WHA!! :LOL:

Dragnlaw, my husband had his second cataract surgery last month. All went well, he followed the doctor's follow-up instructions, and his vision is so much better.
I had cataract surgery on one eye in early August, and again, it went well, and I have better vision. I need the surgery in the other eye, but I'm waiting for a while.
You may need to have your glasses changed. The opthamologist should be able to give you a prescription for new glasses.
You'll enjoy being able to see without blurry vision. I wish you well!

Funny, I know so many people who've had it done but it was never a subject I pursued nor inquired about. I've always enjoyed perfect vision other than in recent years a need for reading glasses.

One of my sisters and one of my daughters have macular degeneration. I've never heard of anyone else in the family, either mother's or father's side) ever having any eye problems. So needless to say I'm a little surprised.

Certainly not worried about it, it's really rather interesting when you look at how they do it.
Surgeon doing my hand stopped so I could sit up to see what she was doing - but somehow I don't think this surgeon can stop to show me what's going on in my eye! :LOL: But I'd love to watch! maybe they'll have a camera and screen off to one side.

Oops, started this post to say Thank You for the wishes, then got carried away... ahhh, hopefully - they should soon have a solution for "distraction by shiny objects".

Last edited:
I will send warm wishes and hope it goes smoothly! I am sure it will. After enjoying years of perfect vision, my eyesight is changing fast. I have one pair of glasses for the computer, another to use to read, and really need nothing for distance but cannot see with either of the other pair of glasses to do things like watch tv.

I am impressed that you want to watch the surgeries. I'd love to watch a surgery - just not mine! 😟

I want to watch because for sure they wouldn't just let in in to watch other peoples surgery. Always been fascinated with things like that.
Problem would arise in that I would probably be asking too many distracting questions - why this? What's that? and what's this one? What about that one? does it do the same thing? ....blah blah blah... they'd boot me out, I'm sure.

I want to watch because for sure they wouldn't just let in in to watch other peoples surgery. Always been fascinated with things like that.
Problem would arise in that I would probably be asking too many distracting questions - why this? What's that? and what's this one? What about that one? does it do the same thing? ....blah blah blah... they'd boot me out, I'm sure.
Don't some university medical schools have surgery that you can watch? I know that med students watch surgeries in special surgical theatres. I think the public is sometimes allowed to attend. I also think they usually explain what is going on as the surgery proceeds.

I had cataract surgery a couple of years ago. I was awake for it - lightly sedated with numbing drops and painkillers - so technically I could "watch," but you can't see anything but shadows when they're working on your eyes.

I need cataract surgery, but my emploter insurance is so bad that I would have to pay a few thousand dollars myself. I'm waiting until January, when my Medicare starts.

To watch your own eyes being worked on would be a bit difficult I imagine. LOL -
Haven't even spoken/ nor met with the surgeon yet. So don't know if I'm under or just sedated. Told it is about 3 hours so hopefully my son will find something to occupy himself. Guess he could probably even go home as it is only about 15 minutes away (I think).

Thanks taxy, I'm fascinated but not to that extent. If an opportunity comes up in front of my nose, I would take it. But I am not going to go out of my way.

...Told it is about 3 hours so hopefully my son will find something to occupy himself...
Himself had both eyes fixed summer of '21, roughly a month apart. The "3 hours" probably includes pre-op and post-op time, too. The first time I dropped him off I went home. Barely had a chance to do much besides have breakfast and a cup of tea (he had to be at the hospital at 6 AM) and you all know how we don't "do" mornings. :sleep: The second time, after I dropped him off, I did a shopping run to two stores, returned to the hospital parking lot, and called in to find out his status. After all, the hospital was between the stores and our house. Why drive home if he was ready? As luck would have it, the nurse was about to call me to let me know I could get him.

The doctor puts a little shield over the eye so that you don't poke (or shoot) yer eye out, kid. It looked like a mini Jason hockey mask. That night he went out onto our porch, looked up at the sky, and said "wow! I can see the stars again!". Little did I know that he had been conducting his astronomy seminars down at the corn maze going only by where people were pointing and his knowledge of the skies and star charts. Needless to say, I was impressed!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom