I guess it's true that we shrink during the day

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I can see why you get smaller as you age, but you shouldn't be able to gain your height back the next day.

If I were to guess, the space between the discs in your spine probably becomes smaller at the end of the day, for some reason. And then as you relax over the night, the space becomes big again. This is the only thing that can explain this yo-yo effect Bethat you see.
Better posture when well rested would go a long way to explaining it.

I can see why you get smaller as you age, but you shouldn't be able to gain your height back the next day.

If I were to guess, the space between the discs in your spine probably becomes smaller at the end of the day, for some reason. And then as you relax over the night, the space becomes big again. This is the only thing that can explain this yo-yo effect that you see.
See the above explanations that we found online.

I think it is similar to your feet (but opposite)
That's why they say not to buy shoes early in the morning ;)

I think it is similar to your feet (but opposite)
That's why they say not to buy shoes early in the morning ;)
Now that makes total sense. Because, at the end of a busy day, your feet are probably flatter and maybe even slightly swollen from putting pressure on them all day.

Shoes... yeah, I have whole closet full of them and can't wear any of them anymore. I not only have both arthritis and neuropathy in my feet (I'm diabetic) but I have a bunion on my right foot that causes even more problems. I literally live in slides (or sandals, whatever you want to call them) year round, even in winter. In winter I just wear 2 pairs of socks and it's enough to keep my feet warm.

I really miss my shoes. But my feet hurt pretty much 24/7 as it is. If I wear actual shoes, I'm in severe pain and can barely walk. :(

You have a kindred soul here Linda. I used to have a pair of shoes for every outfit, Payless Shoes were wonderful in the day. Not so much now but hey, what can yuh say.
None of them fit, most have actually disintegrated with the faux leather, LOL - couldn't even give them away.
Yep - with my neuropathy if the soles are not cushioned enough I can't walk either, barefoot is not in my vocabulary anymore.
Between bunions, hammertoes (horses can do a number on your feet when they step on you) and nerve pain - not too many type of shoes can be worn. I have the most luck with CROCS.

You have a kindred soul here Linda. I used to have a pair of shoes for every outfit, Payless Shoes were wonderful in the day. Not so much now but hey, what can yuh say.
None of them fit, most have actually disintegrated with the faux leather, LOL - couldn't even give them away.
Yep - with my neuropathy if the soles are not cushioned enough I can't walk either, barefoot is not in my vocabulary anymore.
Between bunions, hammertoes (horses can do a number on your feet when they step on you) and nerve pain - not too many type of shoes can be worn. I have the most luck with CROCS.
Same here with going barefoot. That's a no-no for me. It just feels too weird. That and I would have to be careful not to step on something sharp or stub my toes. I could cause damage that I wouldn't even be aware of. And if I get a bad cut and end up with an infection in my foot, I'm in trouble.

I bought a pair of CROCS hoping I could have actual shoes that were comfortable, but they bother my feet too (maybe I just bought the wrong ones, but they're not wide enough). Mostly my right foot because of the bunion. Over the years I've talked to my podiatrist a few times about bunion surgery to get rid of the damn thing, but now he says that, because of the nerve damage in my feet, surgery could do more harm than good. So I guess I'm stuck with this stupid thing. We call it the "family curse" because many people in our family (on my dad's side) have bunions. My grandma, good grief, I remember how mangled her poor feet looked because her bunions were bad and she had them on both feet. Her feet were literally deformed.

Couple that with the fact that my mom lost both of her legs from the knee down due to diabetes, I'm scared to death for the future of my feet.

Which CROCS did you buy?

. . . If I were to guess, the space between the discs in your spine probably becomes smaller at the end of the day, for some reason. And then as you relax over the night, the space becomes big again. This is the only thing that can explain this yo-yo effect that you see.
This is what happens. Your discs get squashed by the weight put on them by your body mass. When you lie down, they recover.

Linda, about the CROCS. They keep changing them - drives me nuts. The only way you will know is to try them. I've always had a rather wide food and a very narrow heel.
As my feet became more and more sensitive I took a utility knife and cut out the area around the little toe on one foot. This year I've discovered the top of my foot is now becoming super sensitive and ... yup... CROCS ride high. I'll put up with it for as long as I possibly can. Mainly as I have no other choice.

LOL, as to my discs, when I sit up in the morning, I just sit on the side of the bed and I can feel each of my discs going, bump, bump, bump.. and down they go. My morning mantra is "Good Morning World ... and so the pain begins."

Linda, about the CROCS. They keep changing them - drives me nuts. The only way you will know is to try them. I've always had a rather wide food and a very narrow heel.
As my feet became more and more sensitive I took a utility knife and cut out the area around the little toe on one foot. This year I've discovered the top of my foot is now becoming super sensitive and ... yup... CROCS ride high. I'll put up with it for as long as I possibly can. Mainly as I have no other choice.

LOL, as to my discs, when I sit up in the morning, I just sit on the side of the bed and I can feel each of my discs going, bump, bump, bump.. and down they go. My morning mantra is "Good Morning World ... and so the pain begins."
Yep. I'm right there with ya. If it's not my back, it's my hips. If it's not my hips, it's my legs. If it's not my legs, it's my shoulders. And it's always my feet. That pain is pretty much 24/7/365.

Getting old sucks.

The Crocs I bought, if I remember correctly, are called Crocs Light? Or something like that. They're super lightweight, but the area of the shoe that surrounds the sides of your feet is narrower than where you toes go. So because of the bunion, it's difficult wiggling my foot down into them. Why can't the whole dang shoe be wide instead of just where your toes go???

Recently, I found UIN shoes. I have a couple of pairs. One needs to be mindful of the particular "cut" of shoe, so to speak...but they are super comfy. I keep these in the RV: UIN Travel Shoes - they are wider in the toe box and slip-on for easy on and off. NOTE: They are the "Travel Shoe" model, but I've noticed not ALL of the Travel shoes have the same toe box.

For the house, I like the "Wide Toe Clog" - a Slip-On Mule. Lightweight and super comfy.

Yes, they have lots of colorful options and a reasonable price. There are some that are a little less colorful, but what fun is that? Then they are "just shoes"...LOL... :ROFLMAO:

Those are neat Ginny, thanks. Think they are just border-line as to whether or not they would be wide enough in the toe for me. I'll check them out just a bit more.

Linda, do you have a CROCS outlet near you? That would be best, as online with them you'd have to pay return shipping.

AIN'T IT JUST TRUE!!!

1710371912666.png

The first house I lived in, for the first 10 years of my life...we had a neighbor that suffered from Muscular Dystonia. Her back and feet were quite affected. I used to help her with the household chores. I remember the only shoes that she could use were those folding travel shoes. Nothing else worked. A very sweet lady. A horrible disease. Boy, she could talk and talk and talk. They had to take the phone out of the house, or she would never get anything done.

Those are neat Ginny, thanks. Think they are just border-line as to whether or not they would be wide enough in the toe for me. I'll check them out just a bit more.

Linda, do you have a CROCS outlet near you? That would be best, as online with them you'd have to pay return shipping.
I really don't know, as I haven't looked into that. I'm sure I could probably find a store that sells them. Next time I'd like to try them on before I buy.

I really don't know, as I haven't looked into that. I'm sure I could probably find a store that sells them. Next time I'd like to try them on before I buy.
When you have foot problems, it is the only way to go.

I've learned to buy nothing that is not free to return. When you are in a store you don't buy something after you've touched it, felt it, inspected it, tried it on - and don't like it... you just walk on to the next.
Buy something on line without any of the above and then have to PAY to say No, Thank You? Nope.

When you have foot problems, it is the only way to go.

I've learned to buy nothing that is not free to return. When you are in a store you don't buy something after you've touched it, felt it, inspected it, tried it on - and don't like it... you just walk on to the next.
Buy something on line without any of the above and then have to PAY to say No, Thank You? Nope.
I buy most of my stuff from Amazon and, luckily, it doesn't cost me anything to send something back. But it's still a pain in the arse because I have to drive to Whole Foods and walk inside and stand in line (if there is one) which completely wastes my time, not to mention kills my feet. So I agree.

Amazon gives me a choice, pick-up by original courier (you have to be home), UPS or Canada Post. I always choose UPS or Canda Post. I just walk in - hand them the parcel, they give me a receipt, I walk out. Ea;y Peasy!

I've been purchasing from Temu lately - same-same as Amazon. Free delivery, free returns - but takes several days for delivery. Depending on item, sometimes I don't mind waiting.
BUT - I always double check the delivery and returns policy for each and every item I contemplate purchasing.

Amazon gives me a choice, pick-up by original courier (you have to be home), UPS or Canada Post. I always choose UPS or Canda Post. I just walk in - hand them the parcel, they give me a receipt, I walk out. Ea;y Peasy!

I've been purchasing from Temu lately - same-same as Amazon. Free delivery, free returns - but takes several days for delivery. Depending on item, sometimes I don't mind waiting.
BUT - I always double check the delivery and returns policy for each and every item I contemplate purchasing.
I've never bought anything from Temu, although I've contemplated it. They seem to have a lot of good deals.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom