Dried Blackeyed peas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MoReese

Cook
I have some dried blackeyed peas that are over year old. Do they lose flavor? I have an Instantpot. Do I have to cook them longer?
Also looking for a good instant pot recipe with blackeyed peas and some kind of greens.

I would start them in the IP pot for 30 minutes on low, wait to naturally release, then check their doneness. They should mostly be whole, easily mashed between fingers. If they are not done, do not drain or anything, just cook them longer either on warm, or back to pressure cooking an additional 15 minutes at a time. Once done, drain and use. They can be frozen once drained and done.

I would start them in the IP pot for 30 minutes on low, wait to naturally release, then check their doneness. They should mostly be whole, easily mashed between fingers. If they are not done, do not drain or anything, just cook them longer either on warm, or back to pressure cooking an additional 15 minutes at a time. Once done, drain and use. They can be frozen once drained and done.
Thank you very much. I assume that they will not have lost any nutritional value.

@MoReese if they are ONLY a year old, that's not old old. I usually stock up a year's worth of my beans. I couldn't tell you if they lose nutrition from the day of buying to the year later when we make them.
There were times I had old old beans, 5 years old, and they tasted fine and we didn't die. :LOL:

I have also had dried beans many years old, and the only drawback is that some take longer to cook, but no big deal. I keep them in my pantry in vacuum sealed bags, but on the shelves in my kitchen, I have glass jars, which I re-fill, then seal the bags again, with the vacuum seal. Sometimes I just take the last half cup or so, of several types, then fill up all of the jars.

@MoReese if they are ONLY a year old, that's not old old. I usually stock up a year's worth of my beans. I couldn't tell you if they lose nutrition from the day of buying to the year later when we make them.
There were times I had old old beans, 5 years old, and they tasted fine and we didn't die. :LOL:
Thank you.

Adding a teaspoon of baking soda for every cup of dried beans will help to soften them and decrease the cooking time.

Some people add the baking soda to the soaking water while others add it to the cooking liquid.

It definitely works and is a controversial idea among cooks.

If you prefer to keep the beans firm and whole this is not a good idea but if you like the beans in a creamy broth thickened with the starch released from the ‘mushy’ beans this is a good way to go.

Good luck!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom