Do you like canned seitan and a request for seitan recipe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SEEING-TO-BELIEVE

Head Chef
we dont have it in israel. we have frozen ones..

i want to make the tastiest parve seitan with good sauce that me and a religious friend will eat alondside mashed potatoes that are chessy.

i mean, today im eating the mashed potatoes with meat. but another friend wants to try too but he will not mix meats with dairy..

what do you say? do you know of an amazing recipe for seitan to try soon?

toda (thanks) ….!

ive found this recipe but it looks too fatty for cheesy mashed potatoes
i dont know if i can find the ingredients too..

I've made some seitan 'meats' like turkey, pepperoni, and pizza sausage.
But with my recipes being oil-free, they are not great tasting to people that need to have them more meat like with the fats that are in meat.
So the turkey seitan would be dry-ish to average taste buds, we use gravy, and the way I make it is so-so. We might have it once a year.
Last week I made pizza sausage because I know we like that on pizza. Pizza has a moxerella (vegan cheese) that has some fat (from cashews) and we don't notice the lack of fat-taste.
Maybe you can take the middle way, or middle ground and make the seitan with some oil or fat, not too little, not too much. That sounds like what you are looking for.

yes, interesting..
my latest attempt with vital wheat gluten ended by finding a lot of bugs in the package i've ordered [shipped from israel to my location in israel..]. i think today it is easier to find it and more fresh and probably not in a paper package but nylon one..

anyway. i don't know if i can find other ingredients..
and i will serve it along rice because the mashed potatoes that i've made didn't came well at all. there was too much cheese in the hebrew recipe. i don't want to try it again.. it was gross..

i like plant based foods sometimes and my nutritionist urges to eat more of these veggie "meats"..

one of the reasons i visited north america 15 years ago is to taste all the veggie meats that available..
too bad many of them weren't imported to israel..

Not sure if you can find all the ingredients there, but this site has good plant based / vegan seitan recipes, mashed potato recipe will be coming out in a day or two.

He also has an Online Seitan making class along with a bunch of recipes on what do to with seitan.

I buy some canned Asian seitan which is good. I use to for Asian recipes

Attachments

• Seitan.png
    Seitan.png
    673.5 KB · Views: 9
looks nice..
is it you who wrote the recipes?

is this canned seitan the best brand from your experience?

Last edited:
some recipes for seitan with gluten flour ask for mashed beans for the mixture while other recipes ask for tofu or chickpeas flour.
there are some recipes that will not ask for any of these..

which additive is the best? beans? tofu? chickpeas flour or without an 'additive'?

of course there are other ingredients too..

i think i will go with the one you have mentioned with the beans..

A friend of mine wrote the recipe. Ive made it ( or similar versions many times . You can also freeze it for using in the future. The canned seitan is the only canned seitan I know of. it's not bad for asian recipes . A little soft, but it tastes good ( to me anyway)

Not sure if you can find all the ingredients there, but this site has good plant based / vegan seitan recipes, mashed potato recipe will be coming out in a day or two.

He also has an Online Seitan making class along with a bunch of recipes on what do to with seitan.

I buy some canned Asian seitan which is good. I use to for Asian recipes
i hope that soon my gluten flour will arrive. it is delayed because of the holidays.

i've questions..
at cinnamonsnail he says to braid and knot and stretch etc.. will it really make such a difference in your opinion?

2. can i replace japanese soy sauce for the tamari?

3. do i need to heat the vegetable stock before adding the miso?, if not, how would the miso dissolve?

4. what can i replace the mirin for?

5. can i use granulated garlic instead of the onion powder? i don't know where to get onion powder..

6. about salt amount. i know there is no salt and i'm intenting to use bullion paste.. but if you convert the salt in the recipe to regular table salt. how much salt is total?

7. if i want the 'beef' style that is described there by using beet powder,
which of these products will fit the most?

can't wait to try when i get the gluten flour..

thank you for any answers..

Last edited:
1)Braiding and Knotting makes the textured more " Meaty " but not necessary
2) Any soy sauce will do
3) All liquids should be room temperature. You can heat the vegetable stock a little just to dissolve the miso, then let it cool down.
4) I dont think leaving the mirin out will make a difference. Just add the same amount of broth, water .... for consistency purposes. I sometimes just add any white wine I have laying around.
5) Garlic powder will be fine
6) Not sure about the salt conversion. Most of the saltiness in the recipe comes from the tamari and the bouillon paste.
7) All the beet powder does is change the color ( more reddish/ pinkish ) so it looks a little more like red meat. Not necessary for the flavor. You can even very finely grate a beet and add it to achieve the same thing. Or us can substitute the beet juice for the mirin. That will solve that problem.

The majority of the flavor of the seitan is what you marinate it in, not necessarily the seitan itself. I like to marinade it over night in a broth consisting of veggie broth, garlic, soy sauce and liquid smoke . I dont have a specific recipe for that.

Hear are a few ways I use the seitan. Kebab, "Chicken" noodle soup, Roasted with hoisin sauce and veggies , example of how I braided it.

Attachments

• Kebab.png
    Kebab.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 3
  • Chicken noodle .png
    Chicken noodle .png
    1.3 MB · Views: 4
  • Seitan Hoisin.png
    Seitan Hoisin.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 3
  • braided .png
    braided .png
    1.3 MB · Views: 3
i see
and nice, very nice i think
do you know other people who published this method of breading seitan?
The recipe that @larry_stewart posted was also posted by the jewishveg.org group.

I've seen a bunch of different videos/ recipes. Some people braid it, some just tie in a knot, other just leave as a loaf. I've tried just about every version you can imagine. If Im going for chicken - like texture, I braid it. If Im going more like chunks, or slicing thinly, I just leave as a loaf. The taste doesnt change, just the consistency a bit.

I recently did a seitan log, for slicing like pepperoni, it doesn't show any fibers like you have in chicken.
When you let the braided seitan get cold after cooking, then peel off pieces of it, it will be more stringy or showing fibers when you pull it apart. More like chicken.

it was very hard to shape into a braid and knot because the seitan was in crumbles and not one piece.
the end result was nice....
i've a lot to say but let's keep it short for now..

Attachments

• 0b8e98c0-7223-4378-ace8-f6fd0f6b06ba.jpeg
    0b8e98c0-7223-4378-ace8-f6fd0f6b06ba.jpeg
    110.7 KB · Views: 3
  • 6abc98f4-ffe7-4a47-977f-23915793d6bc.jpeg
    6abc98f4-ffe7-4a47-977f-23915793d6bc.jpeg
    137 KB · Views: 3
  • c0f7a5f7-5b1e-47bf-99bb-1ac84372aca9.jpeg
    c0f7a5f7-5b1e-47bf-99bb-1ac84372aca9.jpeg
    112 KB · Views: 3
The picture with the frying pan in the middle, the seitan looks like pieces of chicken. It turned out good. How did you like the taste?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom