Do you enjoy shopping online?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I envy the people who can buy shoes online. I absolutely have to try shoes on and walk around in them to know if I can wear them.[/QUOTEI doubt I could buy any other shoes (footwear) on line other than Birks or Addias flip-flops. I too have to walk around, but since these are my go-tos, I can order these on line.

I envy the people who can buy shoes online. I absolutely have to try shoes on and walk around in them to know if I can wear them.

I go into the shoe stores and try on shoes, then most of the time order online, if I can find them cheaper. My work shoes are the same brand, style for the last 18 years.

I guess the real question is, do you prefer browsing in a brick and mortar store, to looking online for a speific item?

For example, when I'm at Target, I look at the clothes and if I like something, I get it. I would not look online specifically for sweaters, etc.

Hi Sara. I prefer clothes shopping in a brick and mortar store, where I can try things on.
Other things such as home goods, books, etc., I like to buy online. I'm in a remote area.

Last edited:
I guess the real question is, do you prefer browsing in a brick and mortar store, to looking online for a speific item?

I hate going to stores, especially shopping malls.... (it’s a guy thing)
So, I do a lot of online shopping, Amazon being the primary site, and I do compare prices with other online retailers on pricier items.

I hate going to stores, especially shopping malls.... (it’s a guy thing)
So, I do a lot of online shopping, Amazon being the primary site, and I do compare prices with other online retailers on pricier items.

+1!

I have always shopped at home. First in catalogs then online. Once I have a list of things to buy, I go to a mall or online and buy. I make a distinction between shopping and buying. Shopping is when you go to the store and walk around looking. If you see something you want, you buy it. To avoid walking around idly looking in stores, I shop at home. Then I go and buy. SO shops. She enjoys that and that's great for her.

I avoid online retailers as much as possible. I support my local businesses. Haven't set foot in Walmart in 20 years and never will. I used to like Sur La Table until I found out they were owned by a company in Bahrain, so I pay a little more at a locally owned non-chain kitchen store. Try to support your neighbors, do you think Amazon and Walmart will keep the cheap prices when they are the only ones left?

Most of my online shopping is from local merchants. In fact, one place I get some of my groceries from, has not other way for anyone to purchase. They grow vegis and herbs in a rooftop green house and source lots of other stuff fairly locally. They deliver their baskets to pickup points or deliver (by electric vehicle) to your home for an additional $5. I'm working on my weekly order from them now.

I shop as local as I can, then head for online. I live in a town of 468 people, there is an antique shop and the convenience store. In the nearest large town (10 miles away) there are no clothing stores, what stores there are charge $2-4 more than what I can get 35 miles away (in another state with their high sales tax). At least through Amazon, the sales tax comes to my state.

When my mobility was pretty compromised a couple of years ago, I thought grocery deliveries might be the answer. Turned out not so in my neck of the woods. Tried Shipt, Instacart, Prime Pantry, Walmart, Jetdotcom, and more that don't come quickly to mind. None were satisfactory.

I would happily pay a premium for the kind of options taxlady describes.

Edited to add: I live in a city where Food Deserts are real problems. Many have it much worse than I do.

Last edited:
I'm another that used to do a lot of catalog purchases, before the internet. Something I could rarely find locally, though there is more demand now, is shoes in my size - 16EEEE! Clothes were not available locally for 'big and tall', and, while they are more available now, I still buy most of my clothes online. I used to buy other things from catalogs, that simply were not available locally - the reason I now buy most things online. Tools and hardware, for my workshop, and seeds and other things for the garden, were things I got the most catalogs for. A company that originally just sold through catalogs, but now has stores, is Harbor Freight. I used to get 3 or 4 catalogs in a week, and if I looked closely, I could find the identical item cheaper in one of the catalogs! Many just stopped putting out paper catalogs, but seed catalogs are still coming in, as any gardener here knows!

I got Amazon Prime when it was first out, and it saved me a lot, because I frequently (before I had it) would have to find several things I didn't need, to get up to the free shipping amount! No telling how much that has saved me!

As for food, there are countless things that you simply can not find locally. I try to buy what I can locally, and I have a number of good ethnic grocers for things I used to have to take long trips for, but there are still things I have to order.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom