Cream of Mushroom Soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jennyema

Chef Extraordinaire
At this point in my life, i almost never use a recipe for soup.
This is what I did. It came out very tasty! It rained with thunder and lightening all day yesterday, so it was perfect.

2 pounds of white mushrooms
1/2 pound of creminis (you can use a variety of mushrooms but plain white ones work great)
a handful of dry porcinis, rehydrated in a cup of very hot water
1 large shallot or 2 smaller ones
3T butter
3 cups of broth (I used a mix of BtB mushroom and chicken)
1 cup half and half or cream
salt and pepper
Brandy or sherry to taste

Get the porcinis in the hot water

Finely mince the shallot and start cooking in butter in a dutch oven on low/med heat

Wash mushrooms thoroughly and slice (I hardly ever use pre-sliced because they are often dry/slimy/smelly)

Dump the sliced mushrooms into the dutch oven, season with salt and pepper. Stir to coat with butter and raise heat to med-high

Once the mushrooms have thrown off some liquid, drop the heat to med-low again, add the broth, stir and cover.

Drain the porcinis through a coffee filter, reserving the liquid. Chop them and add both the chopped porcinis and liquid to the pot.

Add brandy/sherry to taste. Or, simply add a T or so to your bowl when serving.

Keep pot covered and simmer for 30-45 min, stirring and tasting occasionally ( I think longer cooking adds depth of flavor)

When done (it should taste quite mushroomy) take off heat and let sit for 15-20 to cool slightly

Now, you need to blend about half the contents of the pot. Or all of it if you dont like mushroom pieces.

I used an immersion blender because Im lazy and didnt want to drag out my real blender and wash it after.

BUT I couldnt get a smooth texture with the immersion blender. So next time I'll use my real blender. The taste was great but it had a course texture. If you use a real blender put a folded dishtowel on top of the lid and hold it down with your hand, as hot liquids can blow the top off.

After blending add the blended liquid back into the pot

Add the half and half or cream. Combine thoroughly

Taste and add salt if needed. The cream will dilute it a bit.

Keep heat gentle after adding the cream.

That's funny you should post this today - I looked up my favorite cream of mushroom soup recipe yesterday (something in my "Blue Book" - a handwritten notebook, with my absolute favorite recipes, to make them easy to find), to see if that was one of the things I used cognac in! Turns out it wasn't, even though it's an old Julia Child recipe, from one of her books. And one of the things I noticed in that, that I sometimes use in other mushroom recipes because I liked it so much, was some fresh tarragon - only a small amount in the beginning, then about a tb stirred in at the end. This recipe was the one that made me try a smaller amount of Thai basil in similar recipes, for that similar locoricey flavor, and I always have that, while I don't always have tarragon.

And I saw the brandy added at the end - this made me think that it was probably some other cream of mushroom soup recipe that I tried (I can't tell you how many I've made through the years!) that had cognac in it, that made me think to look in that Blue Book. I do remember putting it in at least one of them.

I like to add alcohol, especially higher ABV spirits, early in the cooking. It evaporates enough of the alcohol to get rid of that harsh flavor you can get when cooking with alcohol. It is not hat big of a deal with wine, and certainly not beer, but with cognac/brandy, it makes a noticeable difference, at least to me.

Jennyema, what do you think about adding the cognac/brandy to the shrooms before the broth, sort of like deglazing?

CD

Back
Top Bottom