Coney Sauces straight from Childhood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Everyone beat me to the response of steam them with beer if grilling or griddle=ing them is not feasible! :)

I bought root beer and plan to make the Pop's Spanish sauce tonight. Am so excited. Does anyone know how to frost a glass or mug??

Here is a picture of Pop's Rootbeer Stand Spanish Sauce on a hotdog. I could not find Hunt's ketchup, so the flavor was a tiny bit off but still very tasty. Also, I used frozen ground beef....and perhaps that is why the ground beef ended up rather lumpy. Other times, the ground beef cooked down to tiny, even particles. We had our Spanish dogs with chips and A&W (diet) root beers.

Attachments

• 2020-06-13 18.22.59.jpg
    2020-06-13 18.22.59.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 123
Everyone beat me to the response of steam them with beer if grilling or griddle=ing them is not feasible! :)

I bought root beer and plan to make the Pop's Spanish sauce tonight. Am so excited. Does anyone know how to frost a glass or mug??

You frost a mug by rinsing it with water but DON’T dry it. Place in freezer till water freezes on mug. When you take it out the warm air will turn the mug frosty white.

Here is a picture of Pop's Rootbeer Stand Spanish Sauce on a hotdog. I could not find Hunt's ketchup, so the flavor was a tiny bit off but still very tasty. Also, I used frozen ground beef....and perhaps that is why the ground beef ended up rather lumpy. Other times, the ground beef cooked down to tiny, even particles. We had our Spanish dogs with chips and A&W (diet) root beers.

Yum!

Thanks for the links and suggestions Sir_loin.

Katleen....do you have one of those inexpensive hand held immersion blenders?

I use mine for hot dog sauce and spaghetti sauce. (makes a nice fine textured
sauce)

hPw-A6j3BXcddqWKEELMI8rdVWRyhypmK_gqTZW2oMaT0JaVn39JdmZjayNPYfKSF0gVXA_2z84-D2CljUexFKxELM2DvtN5-gPIl8KQD2DCC9YiRneSJkG5uNy7kGg7uDczTQ

Last edited:

Ohhh boy.......that looks just delicious Kathleen!! :yum:

If you are having a BBQ get-together with friends, then this recipe will serve you well, as it makes a lot of hot dog topping. It can also be used to make a delicious Sloppy Joe sandwich. and change up the ground beef with pulled pork, and it works fort that too. Here's my entry into the hot doge topping list.

Ingredients:
12 oz. can tomato paste
18 oz can Tomato Sauce
3‑12 oz. can nay beans (optional)
1 1/2 cloves minced garlic
2 medium yellow onion, diced
3/4 cup chopped green pepper
1 ½ cup dark brown sugar
3 tsp. Chili Powder
1 ½ tsp. Salt
3 tbs. Worcestershire Sauce
3 bay leaf, crumbled
6 tbs. olive oil
3 lb. ground beef
Place ground beef into a 12 inch covered frying pan and place over medium heat. While the pan is warming, add the olive oil to a 1 quart sauce pan and apply medium heat. Add the garlic,
onion, and bay leaf to the oil and saute until the onion turns
translucent. Add the remaining ingredients, stir until well
blended, cover and turn down heat to simmer.
Lift the lid from the ground beef and break up the meat into
a fine crumble, or little chunks, as you prefer. Lightly salt the meat, stir, and cover.
Check the meat and stir the sauce every five minutes until the
meat is cooked through. Drain the meat into a suitable bowl and place the juice in the refrigerator for later use. Combine the meat and sauce and serve on top of the hot dogs, or over hamburger buns.. Serves 12, or 6 hearty appetites.

This sauce works great over grilled Kielbasas, or even on Brats. Enjoy.
The Wife's Sloppy Joe Filling
Now you get my wife's recipe. When you see it, you might just say “why bother”. But let me assure you that on a cold day,
when time is at a premium, this tasty and quick meal is sure
to please. I would not have ever thought to make this on my
own.
It just goes to show that there are some pretty basic recipes around that taste great. feel free to add liquid smoke, or your favorite BBQ sauce to the recipe. Me, I like it just the way it is. Sometimes I use dark red kidney beans in place of the navy beans. I love that flavor addition.

Ingredients:
2 - 12 oz. cans Tomato Soup
2 lbs. Ground Beef
½ tsp. Salt

brown the ground beef. drain. Add the remaining ingredients. Stir and heat over medium heat for 5 minutes. Serve as a topping, or on top of brats, or hot dogs.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I know you don't like beer, but hot dogs steamed in beer are delicious! They really aren't wet, more like juicy. Lum's was a very popular restaurant chain for decades when I was growing up and during my young adulthood in Ohio and Florida, and other places; they were known for their hot dogs steamed in beer.
1978 I worked at Lum's in Wisconsin. I have a menu from back then.
lums-005.jpg

lums-006.jpg

One topping I really enjoy on top of hot dogs is what I call a "Chinese" hot dog (though very little Chinese in it). It's basically a cheap hot dog with just a dash of concentrated soy sauce, some fresh pineapple slices, and caramelized onions. Wow. As long as you only add like a drop of the salty soy, the savory/sweet/salty pair so WELL together.

Can't say they were within my haunts, perhaps my 1st ex and friends.
What about you?
Yup, both of them. Décarie Hot Dog is very close to Côte Vertu Metro. That's where I used to catch the bus to the West Island, back in the 1990s. Outside of rush hour, there could be a 45 minute wait. Good place to have a snack during a long wait for the bus.

Yup, both of them. Décarie Hot Dog is very close to Côte Vertu Metro. That's where I used to catch the bus to the West Island, back in the 1990s. Outside of rush hour, there could be a 45 minute wait. Good place to have a snack during a long wait for the bus.
LOL - especially in winter!

Didn't realize you meant the bench was inside. No - for sure would have been out on the street - even Decarie!,
The benches are across the street, in a sort of park. Inside the resto, there is a counter with stools. I don't remember for sure, but I think there is a long table on the wall across from the stools, the kind that's about a foot deep and you stand up to use it. It gets too warm in that resto in the summer. I haven't been there since before the pandemic, so I don't know if they have gotten air conditioning, since then.

Back
Top Bottom