Clam Chowder:

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Roxy15

Cook
Clam Chowder:

4 Slices Bacon, Diced
1-1/2 Cups Chopped Onion
1-1/2 Cups Water Or Chicken Stock
4 Cups Peeled And Cubed Potatoes
1-1/2 Tsp. Salt
Ground Black Pepper, To Taste
3 Cups Half-And-Half
3 T. Butter
2-(10-oz.) Cans Minced Clams

Place diced bacon in large stock pot over medium-high heat. Cook until almost crisp; add onions, and cook 5 minutes. Stir in water and potatoes, and season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, and cook uncovered for 15 minutes, or until potatoes are fork tender.

Pour in half-and-half, and add butter. Drain clams, reserving clam liquid; stir clams and 1/2 of the clam liquid into the soup. Cook for about 5 minutes, or until heated through. Do not allow to boil.

Attachments

• IMG_4618.jpeg
    IMG_4618.jpeg
    47.4 KB · Views: 27
The best clam chowder I've ever had is Legal Seafood's.

I do usually 1/4 inch dice a carrot and put them in the simmering broth about 5 minutes before I add the potatoes.

I love New England clam chowder. Just had some today. Went out to a nice restaurant with my son and my sister, who is in town from San Diego, and, it being Friday, their soup of the day was clam chowder. It was phenomenal.

I've never actually made my own clam chowder and this recipe looks to be easy enough. I'm saving this one.

Clam Chowder:

4 Slices Bacon, Diced
1-1/2 Cups Chopped Onion
1-1/2 Cups Water Or Chicken Stock
4 Cups Peeled And Cubed Potatoes
1-1/2 Tsp. Salt
Ground Black Pepper, To Taste
3 Cups Half-And-Half
3 T. Butter
2-(10-oz.) Cans Minced Clams

Place diced bacon in large stock pot over medium-high heat. Cook until almost crisp; add onions, and cook 5 minutes. Stir in water and potatoes, and season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, and cook uncovered for 15 minutes, or until potatoes are fork tender.

Pour in half-and-half, and add butter. Drain clams, reserving clam liquid; stir clams and 1/2 of the clam liquid into the soup. Cook for about 5 minutes, or until heated through. Do not allow to boil.
Another stolen picture. It's been cropped a bit, but same exact picture. First picture under clam chowder section. Second picture in article.

Legal Seafood has suffered a precipitous decline since the family fights. Their chowder has suffered.

Jasper White’s recipe is the best one I know of.

The one I posted is an old recipe.

Besides that, I prefer fresh/live clams.

I normally use the 51 ounce cans and freeze in containers and then make potato a la minute.

I use my own bacon and normally for 1 can I dice up about 10 ounces and cook that along with one very large onion or 2 medium until the bacon is nicely rendered and taking on some color and this is where my chowder does a departure.

I add about a tbsp of coriander seed and a tbsp of smoked paprika and continue to cook until well incorporated and then add about 1/2 cup of water to prevent this mass from sticking any further and it also deglazes the pan. I now take a silicon scraper and remove to a bowl and put the pot back on the burner and add 50g's of AP flour with 50g's of butter and make a roux then add the liqueur from the can of clams which is generally 3 cups or so and when that is well incorporated and thickened I add a liter of heavy cream and then add back the onion mixture and then the clams and simmer over low heat for about 15 minutes or so. :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom