Chicken skins

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh yes! I've seen that video. Thanks for the reminder, I had forgotten all about that.

Dangit, now I can't find the video. Did he use raw or cooked chicken skin?
I think he used raw, but it works with raw or cooked skin. It's just a bit quicker if it starts out cooked.

I looooooooooooooove poultry skin. And I've seen shorty videos on how to prepare the skins to turn them into 'chips', but I haven't done it yet. I'd probably eat the whole batch in one sitting. I love chicken skin baked, broiled, fried, grilled and I'll even eat it just boiled (used to boil chicken legs and thighs for my dog before he passed and I'd munch on some of the skin).

rodentraiser, that's a very good question. What DO they do with all that skin??? I'm guessing they toss it. And that's a shame. Do you know how many dogs would give their souls to have all of that? :chicken:

Heck, I'll take it and turn it into chips!
I imagine that most of it goes into pet food.

1723207076132.jpeg

Oh my gosh, I completely forgot to 'report back' that, over the weekend, I made chicken skins for the first time ever. I had 3 chicken thighs that I was cooking for a pot of chicken & noodles (not a huge pot, obviously, it was just for my son and I). So I peeled the skins off of them and dried each one with a paper towel. Lined a small sheet pan with foil and spritzed with some oil, then laid the chicken skins out onto the oil, then seasoned with flake salt and a little pepper.

Baked them in the oven at 450, checking after 10 minutes. Lookin good, but still needed a few extra minutes for browning. After a few more minutes, took them out of the oven and moved them onto paper towels to soak up the excess fat and oil. As soon as they were cool enough to handle, I dug in.

Can I just use the cliched Oh.My.Gawd. for a moment to basically say it's one of the best things I've ever eaten? I literally could eat these things every single day. I need these in my life on a regular basis. I don't have a whole lot going on these days that makes me happy, but those chicken skins did it.

:in_love:

Oh my gosh, I completely forgot to 'report back' that, over the weekend, I made chicken skins for the first time ever. I had 3 chicken thighs that I was cooking for a pot of chicken & noodles (not a huge pot, obviously, it was just for my son and I). So I peeled the skins off of them and dried each one with a paper towel. Lined a small sheet pan with foil and spritzed with some oil, then laid the chicken skins out onto the oil, then seasoned with flake salt and a little pepper.

Baked them in the oven at 450, checking after 10 minutes. Lookin good, but still needed a few extra minutes for browning. After a few more minutes, took them out of the oven and moved them onto paper towels to soak up the excess fat and oil. As soon as they were cool enough to handle, I dug in.

Can I just use the cliched Oh.My.Gawd. for a moment to basically say it's one of the best things I've ever eaten? I literally could eat these things every single day. I need these in my life on a regular basis. I don't have a whole lot going on these days that makes me happy, but those chicken skins did it.

If you have the chance and don't have a phobia for animal fat then the skin of a duck breast where the skin is nice and crispy and the fat lusciously rendered with a nice thin layer of attached fat is almost as good as the duck confit after it's been crisped up in a sauce pan. Also duck fat rules, but wait, so is the fat on a brisket or in pork belly, or shoulder or a braised lamb leg, I digress and admit chicken skin can be a gateway influencer....you are officially warned. :brows:

Last edited:
If you have the chance and don't have a phobia for animal fat then the skin of a duck breast where the skin is nice and crispy and the fat lusciously rendered with a nice thin layer of attached fat is almost as good as the duck confit after it's been crisped up in a sauce pan. Also duck fat rules, but wait, so is the fat on a brisket or in pork belly, or shoulder or a braised lamb leg, I digress and admit chicken skin can be a gateway influencer....you are officially warned. :brows:
Haha, thanks for the warning ;)

I've had duck fat before and it is definitely delicious. There's a Cantonese restaurant we've been going to for many years (my parents used to take us there when we were kids) that makes a dish called Pineapple Duck. Absolutely amazing dish and it comes skin-on and the skin is nice and crispy. My cousin and I like to get that dish and split it, because it is a LOT of food. But the skin is our favorite part.

Pork belly is amazing as well. I love pork fat. Fatty bacon, the fat from a ham and don't anyone dare trim the fat from the edges of my pork chop! :ROFLMAO:

I try not to eat that kind of stuff too often, but I have to indulge now and then.

My hypothesis on eating fat is that it only tastes good when your body wants it. Have you ever had the experience of eating a pork chop or bit of pork roast or a steak with some nice, well cooked fat on it? I certainly have and have enjoyed that well cooked fat. But, when I have had enough, it no longer tastes appealing. My tastebuds immediately tell me when I have had too much. It has certainly also happened with a bag of pork rinds. But, it might only work if you pay attention to what your body is trying to tell you.

My hypothesis on eating fat is that it only tastes good when your body wants it. Have you ever had the experience of eating a pork chop or bit of pork roast or a steak with some nice, well cooked fat on it? I certainly have and have enjoyed that well cooked fat. But, when I have had enough, it no longer tastes appealing. My tastebuds immediately tell me when I have had too much. It has certainly also happened with a bag of pork rinds. But, it might only work if you pay attention to what your body is trying to tell you.
I know exactly what you're talking about. I can only eat so much at one time before I'll stop because I've simply had enough. But then, thinking about it, that happens with pretty much everything I eat. Now that I'm older, I can't eat as much as I used to be able to and the taste of whatever I'm eating just becomes unappealing at some point and I have to stop, sometimes before I'm actually full.

Maybe an age thing? Because I used to be able to stuff myself and the food would taste good all the way to the end. Now it starts losing its appeal altogether.

That I believe is satiety your experiencing which has to do with hormonal signaling between the gut and brain. People on carnivore for example eat animal protein and their fat until they're completely full and literally couldn't eat anymore food even if they wanted to and lose weight if they're overweight or obese by default and without actually counting calories, which I find this all quite fascinating. I can go into the mechanisms if you like but suspect it's not neccessary. One of the hormones is GLP-1 which isn't actually the most powerful one and suspect people might be aware of that one which has been in the news with really catchy jingles and happy people losing weight.

I know exactly what you're talking about. I can only eat so much at one time before I'll stop because I've simply had enough. But then, thinking about it, that happens with pretty much everything I eat. Now that I'm older, I can't eat as much as I used to be able to and the taste of whatever I'm eating just becomes unappealing at some point and I have to stop, sometimes before I'm actually full.

Maybe an age thing? Because I used to be able to stuff myself and the food would taste good all the way to the end. Now it starts losing its appeal altogether.
My appetite has certainly decreased with age. I think most of that is due to less activity. BTW, I have had that reaction with fat for decades, from way before I was old or even middle aged. But, I have been paying attention to what my body is trying to tell me since I was about 20. It was the single most useful thing I learned from trying out the macrobiotic diet.

That I believe is satiety your experiencing which has to do with hormonal signaling between the gut and brain. People on carnivore for example eat animal protein and their fat until they're completely full and literally couldn't eat anymore food even if they wanted to and lose weight if they're overweight or obese by default and without actually counting calories, which I find this all quite fascinating. I can go into the mechanisms if you like but suspect it's not neccessary. One of the hormones is GLP-1 and suspect people might be aware of that one which has been in the news with really catchy jingles and happy people losing weight.
It might be satiety in part. But, at the point that fat no longer tastes good, I'm usually still happy and comfortable continuing to eat other food on my plate.

That does it. Going to the store today and definitely getting some chicken skins.

That I believe is satiety your experiencing which has to do with hormonal signaling between the gut and brain.
And when, pray tell, exactly does this happen? I'm almost 70 and still waiting for my gut to tell my brain it's had enough. Personally, I think my switch is broken.

So what do you do when your gut constantly keeps lying to your brain?
And when, pray tell, exactly does this happen? I'm almost 70 and still waiting for my gut to tell my brain it's had enough. Personally, I think my switch is broken.
Ahhh, thank you RR . So maybe my gut is not lying after all. It's just a broken switch.

Back
Top Bottom