Cajun Style Tuna Salad

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
On the other hand it is not completely inaccurate either. Just read that link of yours - it's very interesting. Cajun's originally went south to New Orleans, but not being "city people" went to rural areas...

On the other hand it is not completely inaccurate either. Just read that link of yours - it's very interesting. Cajun's originally went south to New Orleans, but not being "city people" went to rural areas...

Cajuns settled in SW Louisiana, and into SE Texas -- West of New Orleans. East of NOLA, is more Creole.

Blackened cajun cooking wasn't invented until 1980, so it is relatively new. I was in college when Chef Paul invented it. Saying that all you have to do to make something cajun is blacken it is misleading. A lot of Cajun restaurants don't even have blackened anything on the menu.

BTW, I intentionally called my recipe "Cajun Style," because it would not really be accurate for me to call it "Cajun."

CD

come on Casey! A Cajun would call that, My Home Special Recipe!

and I wonder if one could Blacken canned tuna?

And for most Cajun season mix, Why so much salt? Tony's is the worst. though they do make a salt free that is good.

Eric, Austin Tx.

and I wonder if one could Blacken canned tuna?

And for most Cajun season mix, Why so much salt? Tony's is the worst. though they do make a salt free that is good.

I'm thinking blackened canned tuna would be rather messy, and not good.

And yes, Tony C's is a salt bomb. Seems like a lot of commercial BBQ rubs are salt heavy, too.

CD

One of the things I DON'T like about BBQ sauces are that the ones I've had are all sickly sweet. gag...
I hear you. Did you ever get a chance to go to Bofinger's in DDO or NDG? They let you choose the sauce and at least one of them was hardly sweet at all.

Last edited:
hmmm, never heard of them taxy. That would be great, but I just prefer my ribs dry anyhow. Won't make a mistake of ordering them in a restaurant ever again!

hmmm, never heard of them taxy. That would be great, but I just prefer my ribs dry anyhow. Won't make a mistake of ordering them in a restaurant ever again!

Texas BBQ traditionally had no sauce, but most places now offer it, but on the side. A few famous places still don't offer sauce.

Dry rubs for beef are generally just salt pepper. I use more pepper than salt, myself. For pork, most places seem to use a more complex rub, and some even sauce (mop) toward the end of cooking, which is what other, more pork-centric regions do with their BBQ.

I make my own BBQ rubs for pork. I found a good recipe, and dialed back on the salt. For sauce, my favorite commercial sauce is Stubb's Sweet Heat. It is a Texas brand, so it is not too sweet for me, and I like to mix sweet and heat.

I also do my own cajun seasonings as I cook. In this tuna salad recipe, the main seasoning is the fresh cayenne peppers, sliced very thin. I use powdered cayenne for other dishes. The aromatics are always onion, celery and bell pepper, AKA the Trinity. I use garlic (the Pope) in most of my cajun cooking, but didn't think it would be good idea for this tuna salad.

CD

Don't say that if you get a chance to go to Bofinger. They do their own smoking and the stuff is great. The one in DDO closed, so I haven't been to Bofinger in a number of years. But, I seem to remember that the sauce was on the side. I was pleasantly surprised the first time I went.

Don't say that if you get a chance to go to Bofinger. They do their own smoking and the stuff is great. The one in DDO closed, so I haven't been to Bofinger in a number of years. But, I seem to remember that the sauce was on the side. I was pleasantly surprised the first time I went.

Are places that don't do their own smoking considered BBQ restaurants in Canada? :shock:

CD

Are places that don't do their own smoking considered BBQ restaurants in Canada? :shock:

CD
I can't say. I haven't actually come across other BBQ restos. There are other restos that serve smoked ribs and stuff, but not as their main specialty.

There are some restaurants that "smoke" their own meats, but it's not a "thing" as in the southern States.
Baton Rouge is a chain Grill House and Bar in Canada whose specialty are baby back ribs, steaks and seafood. Do they do thier own smoke? don't know.

There are some restaurants that "smoke" their own meats, but it's not a "thing" as in the southern States.
The only restos in Montreal that come to mind that smoke their own meat are Schwarzs and the now shuttered Montreal Steak House AKA "La Main", though Anglos called it The Main. Those are definitely known for their smoked meat, but that's Montreal smoked meat and it's not BBQ. Who else smokes their own meats? Okay, maybe Smoked Meat Pete does, but that's not on the Island.

Last edited:
SirLOB, taxy and many of us here have been using the acronym "CMT" for quite some time now. Matter of fact I do believe there was a thread about the different ways to save recipes. Sorry you must have missed all of those posts. Several (again, including myself) have posted links to our recipes we have saved onto CMT.
I didn't know what it meant either :ermm:

(nevermind me, I'm just reading the salad threads to get some new ideas, lol)

@Sir_Loin_of_Beef. according to you, does the "writer's rule" apply to the first time the abbreviation is used on the forum? The first time it is used in a thread? Or the first time it is used in one post?
The first tie it is used in a thread OR in a post if the thread is only one post or you don't beleive everyone has read all the preceeding posts. I was a technical writer in the Military/Industrial complex for 40 years. Do you have any idea how many acronyms the military has? The DoD dictionary of Abbreviations, Acronyms, and Initialisms is 132 pages, 10 point type, single spaced.

I parked in a space in front of a mess hall one time that was marked SNTRA ONLY. Some guy ran out and said I copuldn't park there. I told him that I had it on good authority that Frank wasn't going to be joining us for lunch.

Back
Top Bottom