August 2nd - Anyone cook anything tonight?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pepperhead212

Master Chef
...or is it too hot everywhere?! :LOL:

I did cook a little, but not much - I made another batch of that lentil salad today, since I got my first ripe habanero, and more of those tomatoes than I can use! And it's another thing to eat in this horrible weather. Only cooked in the slow cook Instant Pot 2 hrs.
Everything put together for the lentil salad, while the lentils and freekeh are cooking. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Chana dal and freekeh drained, for salad. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Finished lentil salad, using that first habanero of the season (plus a few other things from the garden). by pepperhead212, on Flickr

I also made a batch of guacamole, another thing for this weather, plus something I just harvested some more of those peppers for (the Hanoi Market is my favorite in this).

Too hot (105F today with heat index of 118F), and I need to finish off some leftovers before I cook something new. Tuna Salad sandwich, again. I'm snacking on some popcorn now -- the real stuff, popped in a pan, not a microwave. Does that qualify as "cooking?"

Munching on popcorn and drinking sweet tea on the couch under the ceiling fan in my underwear. That mental image should give you some unpleasant dreams tonight.

CD

Last edited:
In spite of the heat, I had some lentil soup and a ham sandwich. This lentil soup was a new to me flavour,

Organic Coconut, Curry & Sweet Potato Soup

a699938f-5b58-4727-bb29-16cdcbfa210a.jpg

It tasted good, except it was too sweet. I put lemon juice, from about 3/4 of a lemon and lime juice from 1/4 lime. I also added some Tabasco, Chipotle Sriracha hot sauce. That pretty much took care of the sweet, but why did they have to add sugar, when there are already carrots, sweet potatoes, and creamed coconut listed in the ingredients? That would have been plenty sweet for me. It might still have been too sweet. That gave me a wee bit of heartburn. I almost never get heartburn. Well, I noticed the heartburn and then forgot about it. The next time I thought about it, it was gone, so not serious. I won't be buying that flavour again for me.

Last edited:
Too hot (105F today with heat index of 118F), and I need to finish off some leftovers before I cook something new. Tuna Salad sandwich, again. I'm snacking on some popcorn now -- the real stuff, popped in a pan, not a microwave. Does that qualify as "cooking?"

CD
I'm pretty sure that popping corn in a pan, on a stove, counts as cooking.

I'm pretty sure that popping corn in a pan, on a stove, counts as cooking.

After years of eating microwave popcorn, I bought a jar of Orville Redenbacher's popcorn, and popped it in a big saucepan. OMG, it is soooooo much better than nuked popcorn.

CD

We had bruschetta and sangria.

Homemade sangria? I've been in search for a good recipe. I got hooked on the sangria in this little bar in Salamancha, Spain, but have never found a recipe that could match that.

CD

Half a can of cold baked beans - straight out of the can. Worked for me!
Probably have the other half with my eggs for breakfast.

Homemade sangria? I've been in search for a good recipe. I got hooked on the sangria in this little bar in Salamancha, Spain, but have never found a recipe that could match that.

CD
Not homemade. We have made sangria in the past. SO is the one who drinks it with any regularity in the summer and she's OK with bottled sangria that she doctors up a bit.

Back
Top Bottom