Anyone use broth for soup?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I only use broth for soup with bread when I'm sick with the cold or flu.
I use broth in making soups with more vegetables/grains/legumes.
Do you like any specific kind of broth?
Pho is a broth soup.

Soup​

• Two 3-inch cinnamon sticks
  • 3 whole cloves
  • 2 star anise
  • 1 large white onion*, peeled and quartered
  • 4-inch piece of fresh ginger*, peeled and halved lengthwise
  • 4 cups (32 ounces) vegetable stock or broth
  • 4 cups water
  • 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium tamari or soy sauce
  • 6 ounces (one large handful) rice noodles
  • 1 tablespoon avocado oil, mild extra-virgin olive oil or your neutral-flavored oil of choice
  • 5 ounces thinly sliced shiitake mushrooms
  • Salt

Garnishes​

• Mung bean sprouts
  • Sprigs of fresh basil (use Thai basil if you can find it) or cilantro
  • Sprigs of fresh mint
  • Thinly sliced green onions (mostly green parts)
  • Very thinly sliced fresh jalapeño (omit if sensitive to spice)
  • Small wedges of lime
vegetarian-pho-recipe-1.jpg

Soups that I make with a ' Broth base" would be chicken - like soup/ matzoh ball type of soup.

Also I make an Asian Vegetable soup with a broth, white pepper, sesame oil as the base with Asian veggies added in, included but not limited too : Nappa cabbage, scallions, various mushrooms, snow peas, celery leaves ....I also toss in Tofu cubes, Yuba sticks, sometimes dumplings. Its kind of a get rid of everything in the produce bin/ freezer kinda soup, different every time.

I also make a very simple broth - type soup which include some garlic fried up in oil, 2 cans of broth, one can of chickpeas and a bag of baby spinach. White pepper and salt to taste. Can squeeze some lemon in it and even put some orzo in it too. I prefer it plain and brothy. Literally takes 5 - 10 minutes to make.

Id even consider miso soup a broth type soup. Broth + miso paste + tofu cubes + tree ear mushroom and sea weed if you like it ( I hate it).

I only use broth for soup with bread when I'm sick with the cold or flu.
I use broth in making soups with more vegetables/grains/legumes.
Do you like any specific kind of broth?
Pho is a broth soup.

Soup​

• Two 3-inch cinnamon sticks
  • 3 whole cloves
  • 2 star anise
  • 1 large white onion*, peeled and quartered
  • 4-inch piece of fresh ginger*, peeled and halved lengthwise
  • 4 cups (32 ounces) vegetable stock or broth
  • 4 cups water
  • 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium tamari or soy sauce
  • 6 ounces (one large handful) rice noodles
  • 1 tablespoon avocado oil, mild extra-virgin olive oil or your neutral-flavored oil of choice
  • 5 ounces thinly sliced shiitake mushrooms
  • Salt

Garnishes​

• Mung bean sprouts
  • Sprigs of fresh basil (use Thai basil if you can find it) or cilantro
  • Sprigs of fresh mint
  • Thinly sliced green onions (mostly green parts)
  • Very thinly sliced fresh jalapeño (omit if sensitive to spice)
  • Small wedges of lime
vegetarian-pho-recipe-1.jpg
Thanks for the recipe but what do I do after everything is in the bowl? Boil it? How long?⁰

If the question is "Do you use a ready-to-use broth from the supermarket?" I personally use Better Than Bouillon for most soups.

CD

Bone broth soup is one of my go to's and make a large batch then freeze in 1 cup portions, it's for health benefits. If I'm making a soup I'll use stock which generally is homemade.

Well, I've come to the conclusion I much prefer Bovril's or Knorr's liquids for ease of use. BTB's I find are too thick and take too long to incorporate into something.

Whether it is a clear consomme type soup/broth/drink I want or a last minute extra flavour boost into a stew/stir-fry/etc. Discovered pastes don't always dissolve as quick as I'd like. They do have a mushroom and a garlic one which I will use but probably not buy again. Gave the others to my DIL to use up as she seems to like them.

Don't mind the cubes in foil wrappings - always have those to hand. (small, no fridge necessary) Will not be replacing the powders nor pastes.

I save chicken bones, both raw and cooked. I toss them in the freezer and when the time comes I dump them all into a 20-quart stockpot with flavor enhancers like mire poix, garlic, peppercorns, etc. I end up with about 4-5 quarts which I use mostly for soup. Except for Thanksgiving where I make turkey stock for gravy, stuffing, and pilaf.

If I don't have homemade stock, I use Swansons and BTB.

Well, I've come to the conclusion I much prefer Bovril's or Knorr's liquids for ease of use. BTB's I find are too thick and take too long to incorporate into something.

Whether it is a clear consomme type soup/broth/drink I want or a last minute extra flavour boost into a stew/stir-fry/etc. Discovered pastes don't always dissolve as quick as I'd like. They do have a mushroom and a garlic one which I will use but probably not buy again. Gave the others to my DIL to use up as she seems to like them.

Don't mind the cubes in foil wrappings - always have those to hand. (small, no fridge necessary) Will not be replacing the powders nor pastes.

BTB needs boiling water to dissolve. Hot tap water won't work. But, if I use boiling water, it dissolves just fine. I haven't found an alternative that tastes as good a BTB, so that's what I use.

CD

I save my shrimp shells up in the freezer, to make a quick broth for various Thai soups, like the hot and sour shrimp soup (Tom Yum Kung), which can be delicious, just made with water, but definitely better with the broth.

What BTB?

Better Than Bouillon. It is a paste that you dissolve in boiling water, or add to a simmering liquid.

CD

Goodness, who would use hot tap water to cook with? That's a bit disturbing. Hot water is for washing dishes and washing hands.

I don't know if one tastes better than another. I've never done a side by side comparison, probably because unless the difference is so dramatic you could tell just by walking in the house, well then, maybe.
But once it is in a soup/stew/stir-fry there are so many other flavours going on I personally would not be able to tell the difference. Or actually even if I could does not mean one is better - just a difference taste, eh?

Goodness, who would use hot tap water to cook with? That's a bit disturbing. Hot water is for washing dishes and washing hands.

No, no, no. I've tried to dissolve BTB in less than boiling water to make stock to then add to something I'm cooking, like one would with broth from a can or carton. I don't cook with hot tap water. Do you really think I'm that stupid?

Don't answer that.

CD

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom