Wooden/bamboo versus metal skewers?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BAPyessir6

Senior Cook
I always figured metal skewers for chicken skewers, homemade corn dogs, etc. are better, but I'm curious as to why everywhere uses bamboo. I know you soak it, but do you discard the skewers after use? Wouldn't metal be more stable? And you don't need to soak metal before baking/grilling? (The skewers I have are VERY thin, so maybe that's why.). I'm just wondering why, say aside from cost, people would choose bamboo skewers over metal. (Skewers I'm soaking for Korean/gamja corn dogs)
1000001819.jpg

Off the top of my head my quick answer...
I have and use both. (large & small in metal & bamboo) It really depends on the menu and how many are eating.
Most of all, I think the decision is on my frame of mind at the time. :sneaky: But I think I'd have to say usually bamboo. Even not soaked they work, just cover the ends in foil.
Although if it is just meat, on the grill, probably metal.
Vegies, usually bamboo as I often use 2 sticks in order to prevent them from rolling around. Shrimp and scallops are included with that.
Searing/grilling in a pan, again usually bamboo as I can cut off the ends to fit the pan.
Threading meat is easier on a thin skewer - so usually bamboo but my small metal ones work well there too.

I know you soak it, but do you discard the skewers after use?
Yes
Wouldn't metal be more stable?
Yes
And you don't need to soak metal before baking/grilling?
Correct
I'm just wondering why, say aside from cost, people would choose bamboo skewers over metal.
I don't barbecue much anymore, so I use bamboo. Threading veggie chunks on a skewer can be a nice presentation. I use them to start a gas burner like a long match when the electric power is out. I use them for art.

I've used bamboo skewers, properly soaking them before use. The ends often burn off. I switched to flat stainless steel skewers and won't go back.

Under certain circumstances where the skewered food is served on the skewer, bamboo is preferred.

I just feel like even if bamboo looks better, it feels kind of wasteful to use something once then throw it away. Though toothpicks and plastic utensils are the same idea and I use those tons. So hypocritical! 😁

I use both, but only when grilling over charcoal.
Metal is easy, but gets hot
Bamboo/wood can burn. It goes in the fire after use.

Metal conducts heat much better, so theoretically your meat also cooks from the inside.
Great for chicken satay/kebabs, not so for rare/med rare beef kebabs (although I haven't reallty noticed this in real life :) )

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom