What temp do you guys cook your pork to?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BAPyessir6

Senior Cook
I usually go for 150F / 65C (give or take a few degrees either way) at least when doing chops, loin, tenderloin. My friend says she cooks all her pork to 140F / 60C (chops, loin/tenderloin, shoulder, except ham which is like 160F / 71C). As I think trichinosis does at 137F / 58C, I feel I would only cook my pork that low if it were doing sous vide and I know all the pork is a getting to the same temp.

Granted the potential of trichinosis is probably very very VERY low in commercial pork products (way more common if not exclusive to game meat/deer/boar etc.) but hey! I'm still paranoid. :)

What do you all cook your pork to? Any pink, or straight 160? What do you think of either mine or my friend's cooking temps/styles?

Last edited:
You are correct that pork is safe to eat above 137ºF. I like it at 140ºF but SO doesn't like it so pink. So I cook it to 145ºF. That's for tenderloin, chops and loin roast. When I cook a whole shoulder for pulled pork, I smoke it and cook it to a lot higher temperature.

I'm with Andy - oven temp to 140'F - then rest.

there hasn't been a case of human trichinosis from commercial pork in decades.
which is .... finally . . . why the government recommendations of cook to 165'F bone dry and terrible were revised....

DW also has a "OMG! it's pink!!!" affliction, otherwise I'd go a bit lower.

I usually cook pork sous vide, so I can cook to a lower temperature for a longer time**. I want my serving temperature to be 145F, so I pull it at 140F, then quickly sear it. There is no carry-over cooking with sous vide on its own, but the searing finishes the job.

CD

** Cooking safety is a combination of temperature and time.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom