What size meatballs do you like for spaghetti?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Texmex

Senior Cook
I have never really mastered meatballs. I've only had one recipe that turned out kind of okay but wouldn't be on my favorite list compared to stuff at restaurants that I've had.

An inexpensive Italian restaurant near me used to make tiny meatballs and I just loved them. They stopped doing that some years ago no matter how much I beg. But those were my favorite.

The other ones I used to like or at another kind of chain Italian restaurant and they were huge but I just liked the texture and taste of them. There are so many methods to making meatballs and I've tried just maybe three. Hard to keep them from falling apart sometimes.

I make a basic meatloaf and shape it into meatballs using a #20 yellow handled 1.625 ounce Volrath disher.

I have them in several sizes and find them handy for all sorts of things.

1690132523644.jpeg

Sometimes I bake them on a cookie sheet at 375f for 30 minutes and sometimes I add them to the sauce raw.

When cooking them in the sauce you have to give them some time to ‘set’ before stirring them. I sort of jiggle the pot a few times during the first 15 minutes. The first few times, you may find it easier to make them in a shallow skillet with a cover.

Also, when cooking them in the sauce I make them the day before and refrigerate them so I can remove any congealed fat.

Last edited:
My meatball mix consists of 1lb ground beef, 1/2lb Italian sausage sans skin, and 1/2lb veal. I mix in 1 cup of shredded bread (not bread crumbs) and one egg and I use a 1/3 meausing cup in order to form my meatballs with some consistency, and I braise them in tomato sauce, on simmer, for 45 minutes. As they braise, the bread absorbs some of the sauce and makes the meatbals swell.

This recipe from the folks at Campbell’s appeared in many church cookbooks from the 60s and 70s.

1690135851224.jpeg

The folks at Campbell’s came up with various recipes for Swedish style meatballs, sweet and sour meatballs, etc…

Not gourmet food but still good ideas for budget and weeknight family meals.

One of my favourite bloggers is Seasons and Suppers. (She's Canadian of course)
She has several meatball recipes which I love. I think the best one is the first one I tried. Goes in a soup which is a double win for me. You can use them however you wish, of course. Also goes great with just Buttered Noodles and Parm.
Pork and Ricotta Meatball Soup

I also use a one - two tablespoon disher/scoop depending on how I’m feeling.

We haven't come up with a meatball recipe that would work with our lifestyle. We just started using a tofu/walnut crumble, small pieces cooked in tomato, seasonings, until mostly dry, for a hamburger texture to use on things like spaghetti w/sauce.

I prefer a loose meat sauce over meatballs. Meatballs are better on the side for my preferences. And then size is immaterial.

Mine are 1.75 to 2 inches. They could be smaller, just adjust cooking times downward. They get cooked in the oven and then into the pot for about 15 minutes. We use them for spaghetti and subs.

20230109_173812.jpg

Makes 40ish with the larger amount of ground meat, I forgot to count

This recipe makes very tender and soft meatballs.

INGREDIENTS
1 to 1-1/2 pounds ground beef chuck
2.5 ounces fresh bread crumbs
3 large eggs, beaten
4 ounce mix of half water/half whole milk
3.5 ounces grated Pecorino Romano
3 ounces grated onion
1 ounce microplaned fresh garlic
1 ounce finely chopped fresh basil leaves
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp dried basil
Salt and pepper to taste

DIRECTIONS
In a large bowl, mix bread crumbs with just enough of the milk/water mixture to moisten nicely. Add remainder of ingredients and gently mix. I use my hands.

Prepare a 15x11 inch sheet pan by lining with foil and place a large rack over the pan.

Make about 1-3/4 to 2 inch inch balls. I use a 1-1/2 diameter scoop, size 40 U.S., and overfill slightly. I scoop them all, then with damp hands go back and make neat little balls. Be gentle and try not to compact the meatballs.

Bake at 350 F for 25 minutes. Finish by placing in your favorite red sauce and gently simmering for about 15 minutes.

I prefer a loose meat sauce over meatballs. Meatballs are better on the side for my preferences. And then size is immaterial.
I usually prefer the loose meat in meat sauce too. A friend was cooking a meat sauce and I noticed that she didn't break up the ground beef nearly as well as I did. She noticed me noticing and she explained. She likes having a few bigger pieces, sort of mini-meatballs, that she gets that way. I like that too, but DH, not so much. I like having a bit of the meat having a bit of chew.

thymeless, taxy, now that you've mentioned it. Back when I was making spaghetti for the family, I too made the loose meat way. Two reasons, speed (no chopping, mixing, shaping, frying) just fry and do your sauce. 2nd reason, 3/4 lb (or even less) could still qualify as a loose meat sauce. Made into meatballs, it would not have fed 4 people satisfactorily, all would have been looking for more.
Even now, I would rather do loose meat in a sauce. Save the meatballs for other types of dishes, which is what I generally do. Like a soup or a stew, as in swedish meatballs (it's a pasta but I don't call that a spaghetti.

I have never really understood what North Americans mean by Swedish meatballs. My dad was from Sweden and my mother cooked Swedish meatballs. But, they were never served with pasta or in a stew.

Well, if/when you look up recipes for Swedish Meatballs they are almost always served over Broad Egg Noodles. I don't know about now but back in the day Ikea was famous for their Swedish Meatballs. Basically Meatballs with a bit of nutmeg and (quick way) Cream of Mushroom Soup. Very yummy!
A Scandinavian woman and her sisters, in a small town near where my mom used to live in Uxbridge, prepared meals for take out and pick-up (only I think) and her Swedish Meatballs were wonderful! I actually don't even remember what other things they had, but every visit home included one and sometimes 2 of those meals.

I have never really understood what North Americans mean by Swedish meatballs. My dad was from Sweden and my mother cooked Swedish meatballs. But, they were never served with pasta or in a stew.
Like spaghetti and meatballs, which don't exist in Italy, Swedish meatballs are an American adaptation of a dish from the "old country." Here's a good example.

Swedish meatballs

It's like 'French Fries' - that's not what they are called 'over the pond'. I'm under the impression they got that name from soldiers coming home from the war had seen them made that way in France and Belgium, ergo 'fried like the French do'...

viola! French Fries!

I make a basic meatloaf and shape it into meatballs using a #20 yellow handled 1.625 ounce Volrath disher.

I have them in several sizes and find them handy for all sorts of things.

View attachment 65300

Sometimes I bake them on a cookie sheet at 375f for 30 minutes and sometimes I add them to the sauce raw.

When cooking them in the sauce you have to give them some time to ‘set’ before stirring them. I sort of jiggle the pot a few times during the first 15 minutes. The first few times, you may find it easier to make them in a shallow skillet with a cover.

Also, when cooking them in the sauce I make them the day before and refrigerate them so I can remove any congealed fat.
Good tips!

Yeah, I understand that "Swedish meatballs" are almost never authentic. What I don't understand is what it is about some meatballs that makes them "Swedish meatballs" as opposed to some other sort of meatballs.

'Other' meatballs are created to enhance or go along with other parts of a meal, in that the are a part of but not the star of said meal.
Swedish meatballs, with their nutmeg/cloves warm spices in a mushroom sauce are the star of the show.

-When someone says "Spaghetti and Meatballs" they think Spaghetti and meatballs, oh yum!
-When you add meatballs to a soup - it is part of the soup. "Oh Great! love those meatballs in this soup!"

BUT - when you say "Swedish Meatballs for supper!" THAT is the star of the show. Doesn't matter if served with noodles (well, it is the best) or with rice or potatoes... doesn't matter! The star of the show are the Swedish Meatballs in a Mushroom Cream Sauce.

Just my humble opinion.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom