What did you eat Sunday, August 11, 2024?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

msmofet

Chef Extraordinaire
A repeat of last night. Prosciutto di Parma, fresh mozzarella, tomato, and fresh basil leaves dressed with oil, vinegar, and spices on seeded semolina Italian bread.

prosciutto_sub_081124_1_IMG_2870.jpg

I wanted easy and I wanted warm. So, it was an old standby, bachelor surprise. I had some ground pork that was already fried up with some chopped onion. I used that, some veg from the freezer: diced carrot, peas, green beans, and corn kernels, some fresh mushrooms, sesame seeds, and leftover brown basmati rice. That all got stir fried. I really enjoyed that. I did accidentally make enough for two meals. Oops.

2024-08-11 Bachelor surprise 1.jpg

Piadina Romagnola (flat bread), folded - with prosciutto and mozzarella - not Parma ham but our regional one).
I have tried putting prosciutto crudo on a sandwich. But, I find the meat doesn't get easily cut by teeth, so one ends up pulling long pieces of meat out of the sandwich while trying to eat it. I have occasionally cut up the prosciutto into small pieces and that works, but it's annoying. Any other tips?

I have tried putting prosciutto crudo on a sandwich. But, I find the meat doesn't get easily cut by teeth, so one ends up pulling long pieces of meat out of the sandwich while trying to eat it. I have occasionally cut up the prosciutto into small pieces and that works, but it's annoying. Any other tips?

In a sandwich, prosciutto must be very thinly sliced. We used to buy whole prosciuttos and my husband would divide them into 5/6 big chunks/pieces, then we'd vaccumm - pack each one. We have an electric slicer so we could choose how thin we wanted it.
Now I buy sliced prosciutto from the delicatessen counter at our local supermarket and they automatically slice it extremely thinly for me, so I've never really experienced that problem. Maybe over here, it's commonly used as panini/sandwich fillers. 😀So it's automatically sliced that way.
We can also ask how thin we want it sliced.
If it's good quality and thinly sliced, you shouldn't have that problem of "tugging with your teeth" 😀.

I get my prosciutto sliced very thin. I can ask for meats to be sliced thin or "shaved".

I also purchase very thinly sliced. But I also agree with taxy in that there are times you can't bite cleanly and
completely thru.
On the other hand - I don't often buy it to make into sandwiches. More likely to get it for wrapping something, ex. asparagus, or on a platter, twisted into an hor d'oeuvre of some sort. I once quickly fried slices into a wafer.

Also should say I don't think I've seen it any other way than thinly sliced. And also cut into lardons.

Ask them to slice it extremely thin to the point where they have to use deli paper in between layers so the slices don't stick to each other. Just make sure they give you some credit if it's heavy paper. Our deli uses extremely thin sheets of a plastic.

BTW, prosciutto crudo is NOT Prosciutto di Parma. It's regular ham.

Last edited:
I also purchase very thinly sliced. But I also agree with taxy in that there are times you can't bite cleanly and
completely thru.
On the other hand - I don't often buy it to make into sandwiches. More likely to get it for wrapping something, ex. asparagus, or on a platter, twisted into an hor d'oeuvre of some sort. I once quickly fried slices into a wafer.

Also should say I don't think I've seen it any other way than thinly sliced. And also cut into lardons.
I use about 1/4 inch cubes in Pasta Primavera and in a casserole I sometimes make with prosciutto and porcini.

Ask them to slice it extremely thin to the point where they have to use deli paper in between layers so the slices don't stick to each other. Just make sure they give you some credit if it's heavy paper. Our deli uses extremely thin sheets of a plastic.

Are you sure? Crudo means raw in Italian. I thought it was the word "prosciutto" that meant ham. There are other places in Italy than just Parma, that make raw, aged prosciutto.

The prosciutto that I get is very thinly sliced, but not shaved. I have bought it at a deli counter where they sliced it thin and put butcher paper between each piece, but it still didn't cut easily with teeth.

The prosciutto that I get is very thinly sliced, but not shaved. I have bought it at a deli counter where they sliced it thin and put butcher paper between each piece, but it still didn't cut easily with teeth.
Is it like translucent thin? If it is, I'd have to wonder how long it's been open. I happened to need some once and they had recently finished one, so they opened a new one right in front of me. That was the best prosciutto we'd ever had outside if Italy.

Our deli counters use very thin translucent deli paper to separate the very thin slices otherwise it would be impossible to separate them😀.
Unless we need it for cooking, in this case we ask for thick slices.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom