Virtual Holiday Cookie Swap!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I probably should delete the ingredients list and update it according to my grandma's recipe book and the recipe I made today. We'll see if the cookies turn out (provided I don't eat all the dough....).

I'm soooo glad this was a stickie. I needed a quick cookie recipe and found it fast. Making maple cookies a la Loprraine tonight.

What a great thread!

My hoped-for contribution is more of a candy I suppose than a cookie, but...I'm thinking of making chocolate bark this year. Does anyone have any recipe tips or brilliant ideas for toppings?

The recipe is super-easy, Jing - no tips needed, really ;) I like to top it with chopped apricots, pecans and dried cherries. Or candy sprinkles in holiday colors or shapes.

Last edited:
Cookie Swap

Can I contribute too?

chocolate chocolate cookies.jpg

Hershey's Very Chocolate Chocolate Cookies
I add chopped Macadamia nuts, splurge, it's a holiday.

These are called Peppernuts in my family. I don't know where my Swedish grandmother got the recipe, but she would always make these and send glass jars filled with them to anyone who couldn't make it home for Christmas. I'm sending some to my parents.

1 c water
1/2 c Karo dark syrup (I tried using the Golden Corn Syrup one finds in Canada--they weren't the same)
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground cardamon
1 tsp freshly ground pepper
1 T baking soda
1 lb butter
2-1/2 c brown sugar
7-8 c flour

1.Cream butter, sugar, and syrup.
2. Add water.
3. Mix spices and baking soda with about 1 c of the flour--add to creamed mixture.
4. Add remaining flour. Divide into two pieces. Form a log about 2" x 2" x 8" and wrap in waxed paper. Freeze until firm.
5. To slice cut 1/8 inch thick slices. Cut these into 12-16 pieces (about the size of a square dime, if there were such a thing!).
6. Bake on an ungreased cookie sheet for 5-7 minutes at 400.

Watch carefully, they burn! These are crisp little cookies (and yes, I like to slice the dough and eat that too!).

This is WRONG. The recipe should be:

1/2 c (2 sticks) softened butter
1/2 c brown sugar
1/2 c Karo dark syrup
1/2 tsp soda dissolved in 2 tsp warm water
1/2 - 1 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp ground cardamon
1/4 tsp ground black pepper.
2-1/2 c flour, sifted

1. Cream butter and sugar, add Karo syrup and soda.
2. Sift flour and spices.
From Step 4 on it is right. Don't know where I came up with the measurements in that recipe. I have my grandma's original handwritten card here.

PS I add the grated zest of one orange to the creamed mixture. My twist on her recipe. I have Ginger extract, so added that. There is no reason why one could not use this as a base and play with the flavours--lemon instead of orange, etc.

I love the dough frozen. I could see adding it to homemade ice cream...

Last edited:

1/2 c brown sugar
1/2 c Karo dark syrup
1/2 - 1 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp ground cardamon
2-1/2 c flour, sifted

From Step 4 on it is right. Don't know where I came up with the measurements in that recipe. I have my grandma's original handwritten card here.

PS I add the grated zest of one orange to the creamed mixture. My twist on her recipe. I have Ginger extract, so added that. There is no reason why one could not use this as a base and play with the flavours--lemon instead of orange, etc.

Since we were recently speaking of being able to follow a recipe, I hope nobody tried to follow your previous wrong recipe in the last 5 years! I'd suggest you ask a mod to remove the wrong one and start over. :ermm:

Last edited:
I don't have a favorite cookie recipe yet. My favorite has always been good ol' Tollhouse chocolate chip, I'm not much of a baker. But I'm trying out a bunch of recipes this week and I'll report back with my favorite.

1/2 c brown sugar
1/2 c Karo dark syrup
1/2 - 1 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp ground cardamon
2-1/2 c flour, sifted

These Peppernuts, as you call them, are a popular German Christmas cookie, aka Pfeffernüsse.

Yes, that's what my MIL's recipe says. Interesting - her recipe is very different from CWS's. No corn syrup or brown sugar - it uses granulated sugar and molasses instead.

I made them once years ago. I can't remember the recipe. I made them before I had a computer. And not sure where I got the recipe.

No, they are not anything like German Pfeffernüsse. They look like these:

http://imgarcade.com/1/peppernuts/

These are cut into tiny squares/rectangles, baked for about 8 minutes, and eaten by the handful--literally. I have to hide the mason jars.

I will dig out the family recipe for Pfeffernüsse. I made them a few times and they were popular with the family, but now I am paring things down to only our favourites.

No, they are not anything like German Pfeffernüsse. They look like these:

http://imgarcade.com/1/peppernuts/

These are cut into tiny squares/rectangles, baked for about 8 minutes, and eaten by the handful--literally. I have to hide the mason jars.

I will dig out the family recipe for Pfeffernüsse. I made them a few times and they were popular with the family, but now I am paring things down to only our favourites.

You know that Pfeffernüsse is German for pepper nuts, right? I imagine there might be some regional differences, but the recipes are basically the same.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom