Virtual Holiday Cookie Swap!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ANISE COOKIES

3 Eggs
1 C Sugar
1 Oz Anise Extract
¾ C Shortening
½ C Milk
¼ tsp Salt
4 tsp Baking Powder
3 C Flour

Beat the eggs and sugar together.

Blend in the anise, shortening and milk.

Separately combine the salt, flour and baking powder together, and combine with the eggs and sugar mixture.

Drop teaspoon-sized portions of the dough onto a cookie sheet.

Bake in a 350 F oven for 8-13 minutes.

For the Frosting:

Combine the confectioner’s sugar, and milk to make a thick frosting. A dash or two of anise extract is optional.

Drizzle frosting on each cookie. Sprinkle colored sugar or sprinkles on top. Allow the frosting to harden for at least two hours before packing them.

Pack into containers for storage in the refrigerator or freezer.

Thank you. I can read Swedish, but for the others the translation would be probably appreciated. My Dad has a CD of Swedish Christmas music playing right now...I am going to Sankta Lucia on the 13th at 6:00 a.m. I will do almost anything for potato sausage!

I had a Nordic music teacher in the fourth grade. She told us about her parents Christmas with the girls wearing wreaths of candles. She taught us Santa Lucia in harmony. I still stop and listen to it whenever I hear it. It is a beautiful song.

Another great cookie. However, they look just like the Anise Cookies I posted above so be sure to decorate them differently so you can tell them apart. We learned this the hard way.

EGG NOG COOKIES

For the Cookies:
1 C Butter, softened
1 C Sugar
1 Ea Egg
1 C Egg Nog
3¼ C AP Flour
1 tsp Baking Powder
1 tsp Baking Soda
½ tsp Salt
½ tsp Nutmeg

For the Icing:
1½ C Confectioners Sugar
3 Tb Egg Nog
¼ tsp Nutmeg

Makes about 50 cookies.

Preheat the oven to 350° F.

Grease cookie sheets or use parchment paper.

Cream together the butter and sugar until smooth.

Stir in the egg and egg nog.

Separately combine the remaining cookie ingredients and stir them into the egg and sugar mixture.

Drop rounded spoonfuls onto a cookie sheet. Bake 10-12 minutes until golden.

Combine the remaining ingredients in a small bowl, adding the egg nog a tablespoon at a time until the desired consistency is achieved.

Spread onto the cooled cookies and decorate with sprinkles or colored sugar if desired.

I had a Nordic music teacher in the fourth grade. She told us about her parents Christmas with the girls wearing wreaths of candles. She taught us Santa Lucia in harmony. I still stop and listen to it whenever I hear it. It is a beautiful song.
We have a candelabra that my Dad threatens me to wear...I'm too old to be Sankta Lucia, but traditionally, it is supposed to be the daughter. Thanks, Dad. I got enough on my plate. I can't wear a wreath with candles on my head at 6 a.m. :ohmy:

CWS4322: We just turn on the tv and watch the local Lucia celebrations.
Do you have a Swedish measuring set? I only translate to milliliters because doing it in cups always make missing 1 teaspoon or more. 100 ml = 1 dl and the deciliter measurement is the standard here.

God Jul och förväntansfull Advent.

CWS4322: We just turn on the tv and watch the local Lucia celebrations.
Do you have a Swedish measuring set? I only translate to milliliters because doing it in cups always make missing 1 teaspoon or more. 100 ml = 1 dl and the deciliter measurement is the standard here.

God Jul och förväntansfull Advent.
I do and I use metric units of measure a lot, as well as a scale. Only problem, the scale I got my Dad for Christmas is wrapped! My scale, etc., are all in Ontario.

My cookie swap got canceled so I'm losing steam. :unhappy:

But I did bake up some cookies today. They're from Irvin Lin. I'm not sure of the origin, but it's a cross between a biscotti and a doughnut. They have a chocolate orange flavor. They were ok. He calls them The Best Christmas Cookies Ever.

Best Christmas Cookie | Christmas Cookie Recipe | Eat the Love

IMG_1559.JPG.fea80f8a31aa0b1b3429e3a60da673ce.JPG

I will put up the recipe, just a cranky 4 year old made sure I had no time for my self

I finally baked off the ATK Gingerbread cookie dough today. Here's a link to the recipe:

Gratuitous Recipes: Thick and Chewy Gingerbread Cookies

Because my Dad wanted Gingerbread sticks, I had to figure out how to bake them off. The Viking magazine that had the instructions for decorating them (use your favorite gingerbread recipe) had them rolled out at 1/3", freeze the dough for 2 hours, and then cut 1/2" wide x 8" long, bake at 370 for 5 min. My ATK Baking Illustrated cookbook had instructions for crisp Gingerbread cookies using this recipe, baked at 325 for 15-20 minutes. I tested 4 strips at 325 with the timer set for every 5 minutes. They were crisp at 12 minutes. When they cooled, too hard (still edible, but harder than what we wanted) and too fat--they were 1" wide. I then cut four strips 1/4" x 8" (I was wishing I had my quilt making ruler and thought-I am going to buy one for baking). I baked those at 370 for 5 minutes. They were burnt on the bottom (I did this on parchment paper sprayed with canola oil). Okay, I then did the heat defusing trick--I put one cookie sheet inside of another. I happen to have two that fit together well. I decided that cutting them was too much work, so I rolled the dough as a rope and cut them 6" long, flatten the "snakes" with my fingers and baked them for 6 mins., let them cool on the cookie sheets for 3 minutes. Perfect texture. Now I just have to decorate them tomorrow.

The tweaks I made to the recipe were that I added about 1/4 tsp ground cardamon, 1/8 tsp allspice, 1/4 tsp nutmeg, 1/2 tsp ginger extract, 1/4 c candied ginger, chopped in the food processor with 1/2 c of the flour, and 1/2 tsp black pepper. If I had had my druthers, I would have added the grated zest of 1 orange and a wee bit of cayenne pepper. I also would have sprinkled them / rolled the ropes in sugar. A tip I picked up from ATK is if you want sugar to adhere to a dough that you are rolling by hand, wet your hands first. The texture of these was exactly what we wanted--they will hold together as dunking cookies (which is what we want) yet slightly chewy. And the right amount of ginger and other spices.

I might have to pick up a Springerle rolling pin and make another batch, cooking the cookies at 325. The crispness is about the right crispness for Springerle cookies. Hmmmm....

Last edited:
Well I gotten complaints before that I am a Metric girl ... we bake here by 100 ml or as we say 1 deciliter.

Well I gotten complaints before that I am a Metric girl ... we bake here by 100 ml or as we say 1 deciliter.

Well, if they really are interested in a recipe from one of our many foreign members, then just Google Metric Charts/American measurements. I have one on my fridge held there with a magnet.

I do remember in the fourth grade we had a short class in metric. I also remember getting my papers back with a D or F. I don't do math. I am forever grateful for that chart on my fridge.

Years ago I wanted to make a special holiday bread for my Czechoslovak DIL. I got the recipe, but had to convert from metric to English, then from weight to volume. Thank you Joy of Cooking!
I put it together, and it was supposed to look like braided bread, but when I took it out of the oven, it looked like a giant Milkbone!:)
It tasted good, though

Back
Top Bottom