Tuesday, October 1, 2024, what's for dinner?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

medtran49

Master Chef
Today is our anniversary so we went to dinner at Runyon's, a local landmark steakhouse. Our meal was quite good, though also quite expensive. I think we've only had 1 other meal for just the 2 of us that cost that much. Started with the ubiquitous crusty warm bread with whipped butter, then a crab-wasabi dip with pita points. Craig had a 22 oz rib eye with garlic-truffled mashed potatoes and chef's vegetables, which were green beans and carrots. I had their boneless prime rib, with a loaded baked potato and chef's vegetables. I also had 2 splits of prosecco. Craig had iced tea. We normally have sparkling water, but they only had the Saratoga brand and we don't like that. It has a really strong peppery/minerally taste, much, much stronger than San Pellegrino. We ordered double espressos for after dinner and they also brought us a freebie cheesecake with a raspberry drizzle for our anniversary. Service was great.

I forgot to take a picture of the crab dip until it was over half gone, so no picture.

We both ended up bringing about half our beef home.
20241001_183726.jpg

20241001_183739.jpg

Last edited:
Today is our anniversary so we went to dinner at Runyon's, a local landmark steakhouse. Our meal was quite good, though also quite expensive. I think we've only had 1 other meal for just the 2 of us that cost that much. Started with the ubiquitous crusty warm bread with whipped butter, then a crab-wasabi dip with pita points. Craig had a 22 oz rib eye with garlic-truffled mashed potatoes and chef's vegetables, which were green beans and carrots. I had their boneless prime rib, with a loaded baked potato and chef's vegetables. I also had 2 splits of prosecco. Craig had iced tea. We normally have sparkling water, but they only had the Saratoga brand and we don't like that. It has a really strong peppery/minerally taste, much, much stronger than San Pellegrino. We ordered double espressos for after dinner and they also brought us a freebie cheesecake with a raspberry drizzle for our anniversary. Service was great.

I forgot to take a picture of the crab dip until it was over half gone, so no picture.

We both ended up bringing about half our beef home.
View attachment 70911

View attachment 70912
Happy anniversary!!!

Happy happy anniversary medtran and Craig! Congratulations!

I had big plans but, of course, according to tradition, when the time came - I did nothing. Feeling glum (and hungry) about my lack of ambition it suddenly occurred to me that YES... I do have an easy, no sweat meal!
1727842112383.png

frozen french fries, frozen 'salt 'n pepper calamari sticks'. Delish, perfect, hit the spot!

Actually didn't even use the fork, it was finger food. :yum:

I finally made my potato soup. One pound of chopped potatoes, 5 cups of chicken broth, half an onion grated into the soup, 3 tablespoons of garlic (I like garlic), 1 cup of milk, a cup of sour cream, 3 cups of shredded cheese, and a cup and a half of chopped bacon. Looks like I'll be eating this for a while unless I freeze it. I also made garlic butter biscuits and had a large glass of iced tea to drink, and a slice of pumpkin cheesecake I picked up at the store for dessert.

I forgot to add that I went out and got a handful of parsley that was growing. I washed it and used a scissors to cut it up and added that to the soup. I thought I'd really like fresh herbs, but it had a flavor I really didn't like and in addition, I felt like I was chewing pieces of straw. Should I only add the leaves if I do this again? It was a little disconcerting to feel like I had something like a giant hair in my mouth when it was just a parsley stem.

Last edited:
I finally made my potato soup. One pound of chopped potatoes, 5 cups of chicken broth, half an onion grated into the soup, 3 tablespoons of garlic (I like garlic), 1 cup of milk, a cup of sour cream, 3 cups of shredded cheese, and a cup and a half of chopped bacon. Looks like I'll be eating this for a while unless I freeze it. I also made garlic butter biscuits and had a large glass of iced tea to drink, and a slice of pumpkin cheesecake I picked up at the store for dessert.

I forgot to add that I went out and got a handful of parsley that was growing. I washed it and used a scissors to cut it up and added that to the soup. I thought I'd really like fresh herbs, but it had a flavor I really didn't like and in addition, I felt like I was chewing pieces of straw. Should I only add the leaves if I do this again? It was a little disconcerting to feel like I had something like a giant hair in my mouth when it was just a parsley stem.
Save the stems parsley for stock. They are not a nice texture for eating unless it's in something that gets chopped extremely finely, like in a food processor.

Happy Anniversary @medtran49 and @CraigC.

I made @caseydog's cheese and broccoli soup. I really liked that. It was very moreish. I made 2/3 of the recipe. I only 300 grams of broccoli. I used frozen broccoli and that worked fine. So, I only used 8 US fluid ounces of beer out of a 500 ml can - a bit less than half. I had the rest of that beer with supper.

2024-10-01 Broccoli and cheese soup.jpg

Back
Top Bottom