Taco or Pizza

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Addie

Chef Extraordinaire
The section of Eastie I live in was originally one of three islands. This island was for pig farms during the days of John Adams, Hancock, etc. Eventually all three islands were connected by filling in between the islands and farms sprang up. My grandparents owned a farm where Spike now lives. So when civilization arrived it was English. Then came the Jewish, Irish, and Italians due to WWII and its aftermath. Now it is the S.A. Spanish. Our neighborhood food stores and celebrations are also changing. As a child, there were stores where if you didn't Italian, you couldn't get waited on.

Yesterday I received in the mail, two separate pieces of mail. One for Italian pizza and the other for Spanish related foods on the menu. Both located in Eastie.

I find Spanish foods a little bit too highly seasoned for me. So I kept the pizza menu and tossed the one with all kinds of taco fillings. Riding through the different parts of Eastie, I can find nothing left of my childhood.

Pizza for you or a taco?

Pizza for me, now and forever!

Addie, did you mean Mexican food? Tacos aren’t Spanish, as far as I know...

I love pizza (good pizza), and I love tacos (good tacos). So, I can't really give you an answer, if it requires me to pick "either-or."

Living in Dallas, I can get pretty much any kind of food. There is a killer NY Style Pizza joint a couple miles from me. I can also get amazing tacos at about a dozen places near me.

BTW, real Tacos are not all "spicy." Good tacos are seasoned, but not hot. You add the heat with sauces served on the side. It is like good pizza joints, where they put the red pepper flakes on the table to use or not use. In a good taqueria, the hot sauces are on the tables. Use them or don't.

CD

No, they are not. And, order a "tortilla" in Madrid, and you will get a potato and egg omelet kind of thing. :huh:

CD

Ordered just now. Dominos large piZZa. $7.99 carryout. Ham and pineapple. Picking up car keys now.
No hurry as I bet they are flooded with orders. 10 minutes away.

Last edited:

Probably. Even when I lived in South Texas, I just couldn't cotton to the traditional Spanish flavored foods. (Hated their beans.) And I even worked in a restaurant owned by Mama Lupe (as she was known). Both she and her husband came from Mexico. I once tasted a BBQ rib. Dang near burnt out the inside of my mouth.

I grew up with Italian food. All my friends were Italian. Every morning before school, there was Noni standing over the stove already, making the "gravy." They always insisted I have just a little taste while I waited for my girlfriend. And that consisted of a meatball with gravy. Made for a great breakfast. Sure beat my mother's toast and hot scratch cocoa. Between the two, it kept me going until lunch time. But I always had a traditional New England supper. Even in Texas.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ordered just now. Dominos large piZZa. $7.99 carryout. Ham and pineapple. Picking up car keys now.
No hurry as I bet they are flooded with orders. 10 minutes away.

I wish you would have left the "ham and pineapple" out of that post. :sick:

Sorry. :angel:

CD

Probably. Even when I lived in South Texas, I just couldn't cotton to the traditional Spanish flavored foods. (Hated their beans.) And I even worked in a restaurant owned by Mama Lupe (as she was known). Both she and her husband came from Mexico. I once tasted a BBQ rib. Dang near burnt out the inside of my mouth.

Why do you keep saying Spanish when people keep telling you it's Mexican? They're not the same.

I grew up with Italian food. All my friends were Italian. Every morning before school, there was Noni standing over the stove already, making the "gravy." They always insisted I have just a little taste while I waited for my girlfriend. And that consisted of a meatball with gravy. Made for a great breakfast. Sure beat my mother's toast and hot scratch cocoa. Between the two, it kept me going until lunch time. But I always had a traditional New England supper. Even in Texas.

Tex-Mex beans are noting like Boston baked beans, that is for sure. :LOL:

But, as a third generation Italian, I can't say I love the way Italians cook beans, either. In both traditions, beans make a good filler-upper. A cheap way to get a full belly when you can't afford a lot of meat.

Now Cajuns... they know how to cook beans. Dayum, do they know how to cook beans. :yum:

CD

Why do you keep saying Spanish when people keep telling you it's Mexican? They're not the same.

Why? Because they both speak Spanish. The both of them are of Spanish origin. Just like being from Sicily and Italy. They both speak Italian. Both are of Italian origin. Just different dialects. Next Question?

Last edited:
There is a huge Spanish influence on Mexican cooking. The Spanish ruled over Mexico for more than 300 years. I've spent a lot of time in Spain, and live in Texas. There are many similarities, but just like Italian-American food was altered to fit what was available (and cheap) here, Spanish food was altered to work with the ingredients available, and naturally was blended with what was cooked by the people native to the land.

CD

I wish you would have left the "ham and pineapple" out of that post. :sick:

Sorry. :angel:

CD

One countries president says no way to pineapple on a pizza. Doesn't belong.

Meh!

There was more buzz outside the pizza door last year when the Eagles were about to win the Super Bowl and did.

Last edited:
A "trip" to the "library" taught in my 10th grade Spanish class got me speaking survival Spanish, barely.

La biblileoteca = library. I, as a worker once needed an area inside covered. Mexican housekeeper.

I remembered back to that Spanish class and the trip to the library and just naturally asked..."tiene unos periodicos por aqui'? "Do you have some newspapers for here?" My god, 10th grade actually paid off.

Last edited:
A "trip" to the "library" taught in my 10th grade Spanish class got me speaking survival Spanish, barely.

La biblileoteca = library. I, as a worker once needed an area inside covered. Mexican housekeeper.

I remembered back to that Spanish class and the trip to the library and just naturally asked..."tiene unos periodicos por aqui'? "Do you have some newspapers for here?" Or something real close. My god, 10th grade actually paid off.

That is more Spanish than I know. I took two years of Latin. Latin provides a lot of root words for many other languages. As a "Professional Temporary" worker, Latin came in handy for working in the legal, medical, manufacturing, sales, marketing, etc. fields for spelling. Very seldom had to look up a word.

Okay, time to have fun. Drinks are on Buckytom's tab. I'll even buy GG a drink... on Buckytom's tab. :punk:

I got what I needed to get out of my system. Only took a few minutes. Please, get what you want out of yours. You can call me any name you want, feel free to trash me -- you won't be the first. I have a pretty thick skin.

If anyone is angry with me for more than five minutes... Stop it now. I am not worth it.

CD

Last edited:
I kinda lost the topic for a minute..

Oh... Taco or Pizza....

While I do enjoy pizza, when given the choice, I pick tacos every time..
I don't know if its because of living in Mexican food influenced areas so long but, I like pizza but love tacos.. I make them with frequency at home.. :yum:

Oh... I have always felt that a bully is a person who lacks personal confidence.. Much like those who insist they aren't rude but are just "painfully honest".. Makes my BS alarm go off.. ;)

Ross

Moderation Hat on: Thread cleaned up of petty rudeness and piling on. If you, and you know who you are, insist on acting like children you will be put in "Time out".

Thanks go out to those who tried to defuse.

Back
Top Bottom