Sunday Supper, what did you have on 2024 October 13?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

taxlady

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
I needed to use up a chicken leg before it went off, so I looked through my recipes for something. I found a recipe I really liked, but have only made once before, back in 2013 according to my notes. It's for a whole roast masala chicken. Well, I didn't let that stop me. I used the recipe mostly for inspiration. Instead of making the masala, I took some vindaloo curry paste (it was the one that's open in my fridge) and mixed it with a bit of EVOO (Extra Virgin Olive Oil) and some lemon juice. The curry paste was far too thick to use as is. I cut gashes in the thigh and drumstick. Then I rubbed the paste onto the chicken and into all the gashes.

I did a better job of following the recipe for the roast potatoes, which accompanied the chicken recipe. It called for raw, cut up potatoes that would be roasted for 20 minutes and then tossed with a mix of spices. So, I peeled and cut up the small, cooked potatoes that I was afraid would go off, if not eaten soon. I put them in the oven for five minutes, just to warm them up and then continued with the recipe. Oh yeah that was very good, both the chicken and the potatoes.

I tossed some asparagus in EVOO and then into the oven, since it was on anyways. The asparagus got a good drizzle of lemon juice when I took it out of the oven. There was a jar of cucumber salad in the fridge, winking at me, so I put some of that on the plate too. It didn't really go with that meal, but it was a bit of extra veg.

Very pleased with that meal, but it pooped me out. I have a cooked chicken thigh leftover.

2024-10-13 Roast chicken masala and potatoes, asparagus, and cucumber salad2.jpg

Sunday was a grazing day, and I made a couple of simple quesadillas for dinner with some Mexican cheeses, diced onions and some Mateo's salsa from right here in Frisco.

BYW, Mateo's is available nationwide at some grocery chains. Try it. Their Hatch Chili salsa is my favorite.

CD

I made a small boiled dinner with a piece of ham steak, a couple chunks of kielbasa, cabbage, onions, carrots, potatoes and a couple of dilapidated old mushrooms. Seasoned with S&P, garlic, and hot pepper flakes. Simmered, covered, with a pint of water for 30-45 minutes until the vegetables were tender.

I froze the broth for soup.

The leftovers make great hash.

Sometimes I swap out the cabbage and carrots for a sack of frozen green beans or sturdy frozen greens like collard or kale.

🐷🐷🐷

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom