Stuffed Red Peppers Recipe Without Veg or Meat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

arvanlaar

Assistant Cook
Hey All,

I am on a quest to recreate my grandmother's recipes after she passed away a couple of weeks ago as a tribute to her and a way to remember her by. One of her most famous recipes was a stuffed red pepper that was filled with breadcrumbs, herbs and spices and chilli pepper flakes. I have looked online all over for a recipe that resembles this but everything either has vegetables or meat or both in them. My mom knows the recipe but is being particularly annoying saying she will not share what the recipe is and will not even tell me what ingredients are in there. It has been so long since I have seen them made, that I cannot remember what is in them other than bread crumbs, parsley, chilli flakes, garlic and oil.

Would anyone happen to have a recipe like this that they know of? I would be immensely grateful if I can use that as a base to start off on and see if I can recreate these. Thanks so much in advance!

Any other family members that might have the recipe? I cannot imagine a recipe that includes just what you mention. Most stuffing recipes have at least onions in them. Is it an ethnic type dish or just something your grandmother came up with?

My condolences for your loss.

Due to my families situation, I don't have contact information for anyone (nor can I find them). Sadly I am on my own.

However! I tweaked my Google search and may have some good recipes that can start me off. Here is an example: https://www.sipandfeast.com/italian-roasted-peppers-breadcrumbs/#wprm-recipe-container-789
Mine would stay stuffed (the cut theirs in half) but it seems about right. I don't recall egg but maybe I can make a couple of batches and tweak them with and without and see how it goes.

Yes my Grandmother is Italian from Monteleone. She did make rice with beef versions as well but the breadcrumb ones were to die for. It was a literally family fight that my brother in law got her last stuffed pepper and not a member of the family XD

She stuffed a whole bell pepper with that kind of stuffing? Seems like it would be kind of dry tasting in a whole pepper. I definitely can see it working as per the recipe you linked or maybe in those little hot cherry peppers that you often find stuffed with cheese.

BTW, I don't see egg in the recipe?

Yep! Just looking at the list of ingredients, I would say this is pretty much bang on. I would have to see it in the bowl mixing it up but I think this is basically it with maybe some tweaks. Don't forget, you are cooking the pepper for about 20-30 minutes so the steam and liquid from the pepper gets added. It get very soft and delicious. In my opinion, the best way to eat it is cooked and them opened up and put between two soft slices of Italian bread or bun. Mmmmm. Bellissimo!

Hey All,

I am on a quest to recreate my grandmother's recipes after she passed away a couple of weeks ago as a tribute to her and a way to remember her by. One of her most famous recipes was a stuffed red pepper that was filled with breadcrumbs, herbs and spices and chilli pepper flakes. I have looked online all over for a recipe that resembles this but everything either has vegetables or meat or both in them. My mom knows the recipe but is being particularly annoying saying she will not share what the recipe is and will not even tell me what ingredients are in there. It has been so long since I have seen them made, that I cannot remember what is in them other than bread crumbs, parsley, chilli flakes, garlic and oil.

Would anyone happen to have a recipe like this that they know of? I would be immensely grateful if I can use that as a base to start off on and see if I can recreate these. Thanks so much in advance!
Hello, I just wanted to share two different stuffed pepper recipes we usually make here in South Italy.

For smaller "corno" peppers (deep fried or oven baked) :breadcrumbs, finely chopped garlic, parsley, egg, grated parmesan oil, extra virgin olive oil (just a dash), chopped anchovies(optional), chopped black olives(optional),oregano.

For larger bell peppers, cut in half (oven cooked) : stuffed with a risotto made with peas, onion, mince meat, mushrooms.
Topped with chopped mozzarella, parmesan, a little olive oil, before cooking for about 50mins in oven. (cooking time depends on yr oven!)

Hope these help.

P. S. Forgot to add that you can use chopped sautéed spinach (or other veg) instead of the mincemeat.

Made a big batch (23 cups of breadcrumbs haha!) of the base recipe. Dry, it tasted pretty close to what I remember. Oddly, less oily considering I put 6 cups of olive oil in it! I stuffed one pepper and cooking it now and seeing if adjustments need to be made. I will report back in an hour :)

Ok so my first test was actually pretty bang on. I took out half the salt and 1/3 the parm and taste wise, i would say its 85-90% there. I cooked it ina. Small pan in the oven, pepper standing up with about 0.75 cup of water at the bottom covered for 35 minutes and uncovered for another 10. I tweaked my recipe further for the final batch:
  • Added 3 cups water, 1 cup at a time. Mixture was to dry. I dont recall my mom doing this but im using sheppards peppers which have less moisture and I should have cooked then 45 minutes covered
  • Added 3 tbsp oregano. Recipe above calls for that but i know its the wrong flavor profile. We used parsley at home. I felt the flavor could use that sharpness so I added some in.
In total this batch i made 30 peppers. I will try one of my revised recipe batches and if it worked, ill share the recipe :) Stay tuned!

I forgot to add some pics

PXL_20230916_191550247.MP.jpg
PXL_20230916_191509007.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom