Sciatica?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A friend of mine had a back pain for months which shifted to right thigh after he had a long bus journey of 8/9 hours. Could it be sciatica?
More than likely. The sciatic nerves run from your spine down through your buttocks, and into your legs. Pressure on the sciatic nerve (like a herniated disk or sitting on the nerve for an extended time or from a baby while pregnant) causes irritation of the nerve, leading to sciatica. Walking and gentle stretching exercises generally help sciatica in the long term.

Last edited:
It could be sciatica, but doesn't sound like it by this description. Generally the symptoms will get worse while standing and walking pretty much. Sounds more like a herniated disk, imo.
This is true for me. When I'm sitting, the pain isn't too bad. But when I get up and try to walk, especially if I turn my body a certain way, the pain hits me like a punch in the gut. Hurts like a mother.

For priyadogra

I found this using the symptoms you described.

Meralgia paresthetica is a condition that occurs when the lateral femoral cutaneous nerve is compressed or pinched. This nerve is in charge of sensation along the front and side of the thigh. Those who suffer from the condition report symptoms of pain, throbbing, burning, or numbness in their thighs when they sit down.

And this...

A person may experience upper thigh muscle pain due to impact trauma, sprains, or strains. Pain in the upper thigh may also occur due to nerve damage, blood clots, or arthritis. This kind of pain may often be due to minor muscle injuries that are treatable at home.

If I were your friend, I'd see my doctor to make sure nothing more serious is going on. Could be sciatica or could be one of the conditions above. Could be anything, I suppose. The body is a strange thing :unsure:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom