Quitting Pho

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've never even attempted it, nor would I. There are some things that just can't be duplicated at home. At least not by me. I'd rather get it in a restaurant.

I've never even really looked at a recipe for pho. Just by pictures posted seems like stew ingredients arranged in sections in a clear broth. A lot of the ingredients look like they are not even cooked.

georgevan - go for a won ton soup. Make whatever broth you feel like (beef chicken vegetable). Cook won tons separately. Add to broth. Open the fridge and add 1. whatever leftovers are available. and/or 2. greens, (bok choy, spinach, lettuce, broccoli flowers, scallions). 3. Season. You can make it spicy or not (chili oil). Use some soy sauce, black vinegar, bit of sesame oil.
It's a meal.

I guess now I have to look up recipes for pho.

I've never even attempted it, nor would I. There are some things that just can't be duplicated at home. At least not by me. I'd rather get it in a restaurant.
Yup, there are things that I don't bother trying to learn. I would rather eat it at a resto that makes it well.

I make pho occassionally.
I can't get it here, so if I want it, I gotta make it

Yup, there are things that I don't bother trying to learn. I would rather eat it at a resto that makes it well.
Exactly.

I've found duplicating Asian dishes to be especially difficult. So I don't even try anymore. Like dragn said, I've never really even searched for Pho recipes.

I have found 'Woks of Life' site is great for North American Chinese foods. They often explain differences between original recipes and new versions. The whys and wherefores which is extremely helpful. I've just checked and they list at least 5 recipes for pho, including one in an instant pot and a "20 minute" version. I've not read them, those are just what are listed.
There is also 'Recipe Tin Eats' who also usually explains the whys and wherefores of a recipe. Her version is quite "from the bones on up"

I've never even really looked at a recipe for pho. Just by pictures posted seems like stew ingredients arranged in sections in a clear broth. A lot of the ingredients look like they are not even cooked.

georgevan - go for a won ton soup. Make whatever broth you feel like (beef chicken vegetable). Cook won tons separately. Add to broth. Open the fridge and add 1. whatever leftovers are available. and/or 2. greens, (bok choy, spinach, lettuce, broccoli flowers, scallions). 3. Season. You can make it spicy or not (chili oil). Use some soy sauce, black vinegar, bit of sesame oil.
It's a meal.

I guess now I have to look up recipes for pho.
Thanks for the advice. I will do that.

I have found 'Woks of Life' site is great for North American Chinese foods. They often explain differences between original recipes and new versions. The whys and wherefores which is extremely helpful. I've just checked and they list at least 5 recipes for pho, including one in an instant pot and a "20 minute" version. I've not read them, those are just what are listed.
There is also 'Recipe Tin Eats' who also usually explains the whys and wherefores of a recipe. Her version is quite "from the bones on up"
That's a great site. Many recipes there that I'd love to make.

Though I am too lazy to make it, it is really not that complicated. Main thing is making good base. The broth should practically be like making stock (is it the word?). Then you basically add all the other ingredients. As the matter of fact you can serve all the herbs raw. On the table and people can add whatever they want. Have seen this done in a restaurant. Though I prefer my herbs cooked at least for a short time.

I think it is the effort to make a really good beef broth is what bothers most.
If starting from scratch, you are looking at least a day in advance and it's pretty much an all day process. I might have tried it at one time, but not now.
Were I to make it I'd do a short cut and use broth.

Were I to make it I'd do a short cut and use broth.
I would literally walk to the corner, where I would find the Phở Ca Dao Restaurant

1727398377738.png

Back
Top Bottom