Possible shortages this winter in the US

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The problem was that so many people were staying home and not going to school, workplaces, stores, etc. The manufacturing processes for home and institutional toilet paper is different. You don't buy those giant rolls they have in public bathrooms, right? There were lots of those available, but not in retail stores.
True. But it sure didn't help that people were grabbing it off the shelves until it was gone, not thinking that others may need it too. Even despite the notices stating we were all limited to one or two packages, folks would still grab as many as they could and the stores would just let them do it. They didn't enforce that rule.

I remember one time in Kroger there was a woman (who was ignoring the "limit" rule) grabbing the last 5 packages of TP off the shelf and tossing them into her cart. Another woman was standing there waiting on her to finish so she too could grab some TP. But the first woman took every last package. The other woman kindly asked her to give up just ONE of them, saying she was completely out and needed some. The first woman blew her off and scooted out of the aisle with her cart full of toilet paper. I wanted to punch her. I can't stand greed and selfishness like that.

Those are the people I'm talking about. It was quite sad to see. I'd have given her some of mine - if I had any.

well, winter's over and spring is in full swing. How did y'all fare in the shortages department? Sorry to disappoint the gloom and doomers, but I never ran out of anything that I couldn't get more of.
We weren't always able to get the specific brand of a product we wanted but could replace it with another. Some cleaning products were effected.

True. But it sure didn't help that people were grabbing it off the shelves until it was gone, not thinking that others may need it too. Even despite the notices stating we were all limited to one or two packages, folks would still grab as many as they could and the stores would just let them do it. They didn't enforce that rule.

I remember one time in Kroger there was a woman (who was ignoring the "limit" rule) grabbing the last 5 packages of TP off the shelf and tossing them into her cart. Another woman was standing there waiting on her to finish so she too could grab some TP. But the first woman took every last package. The other woman kindly asked her to give up just ONE of them, saying she was completely out and needed some. The first woman blew her off and scooted out of the aisle with her cart full of toilet paper. I wanted to punch her. I can't stand greed and selfishness like that.

Those are the people I'm talking about. It was quite sad to see. I'd have given her some of mine - if I had any.
Yes, stuff like that did happen, but it wasn't the primary cause of that particular shortage. The pandemic did show us the limitations of the just-in-time manufacturing system developed around the world over the past 35 years or so, though.

Yes, stuff like that did happen, but it wasn't the primary cause of that particular shortage. The pandemic did show us the limitations of the just-in-time manufacturing system developed around the world over the past 35 years or so, though.
Indeed it did.

This is strictly a first world whine, but since the shortages associated with the pandemic, the supply chain, and inflation I’ve been unable to find several of my favorite products.

Huy Fong Sriracha ketchup, Jimmy Dean chicken biscuit sandwiches, Stella D’oro almond cookies, etc…

It’s pitiful but I still wander around the supermarket looking for a few old favorites. 🤭

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom