Pan Fried Chicken Thighs tastes a lot lot better than electric grilled

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

salilsurendran

Assistant Cook
I pan fry (without any oil) chicken thighs in a skillet and they taste awesome and remain juicy as long as I have heat at medium-low. I do have to flip them over however on an electric grill it gets cooked on both sides fast but it doesn't taste very good because all the oil is drained. I was wondering how to have the same taste on the grill?

I don't think you can, but I'm not sure. The ideal temperature for pan-frying bone-in thighs is 175 F, or thereabouts. Can you set your electric griddle at that setting? Perhaps, but I bet it would stick. Cooking food too quickly often yields poor results. I would say use that electric griddle for making pancakes and grilled cheese sandwiches, and hang on to a skillet for chicken thighs and steaks.

What kind of grill do you have that cooks both sides at the same time? Do you mean an electric griddle with a lid?

It does sound as if it is an griddle with lid. These were not designed to cook chicken legs with bone in - at least not with the lid down.
Some gadgets, utensils, appliances are designed for specific purposes. sometime it is possible to multi-task them - but not always. I think this is one of those 'not always'.

salilsurendran, Is this what you got from your inquiry on chicken sticking in your previous post?
You can not compare a frying pan, which has sides and retains the fat run off from the chicken, with a grill/griddle pan, which has no sides and does not retain the fat run off.
It just happens to be one of the functions of the appliance.

I don't use an electric grill, but the most important thing is to not over cook them. Use your rub of choice, with olive oil to bind. then cook them to 145, check with an instant read thermometer in a few spots, pull, let rest and eat. I've done fast and hot and low and slow, either seems to work for me on a gas grill.

Most folks over cook them, and when you aren't using a pan, they dry out. They also go from 145 to 165-175 really quick.

I don't use an electric grill, but the most important thing is to not over cook them. Use your rub of choice, with olive oil to bind. then cook them to 145, check with an instant read thermometer in a few spots, pull, let rest and eat. I've done fast and hot and low and slow, either seems to work for me on a gas grill.

Most folks over cook them, and when you aren't using a pan, they dry out. They also go from 145 to 165-175 really quick.
First of all, a single chicken thigh cooked on a George Foreman is not going to have 20 degrees of carry over. Probably not a whole chicken either. 10 degrees is a generous estimate.

But, more importantly, the OP is cooking thighs. Thighs have dense meat and a lot of connective tissue. They need to be cooked to at least 175 to be palatable and preferably to 185.

So, pull when they hit 175.

I've had pretty good luck at 145. I'll check next time I do thigh's, usually one or two times a week.

It is most likely, I check at 145, then go grab a tray and start pulling them. They go from 145 to 175 within a few minutes. So finished temp may be higher than 145 for sure.

Main thing is relation to the OP, is don't over cook them. My sister likes them grilled to a crisp. It hurts me inside to massively over cook them, but I will if requested.

I've had pretty good luck at 145. I'll check next time I do thigh's, usually one or two times a week.

It is most likely, I check at 145, then go grab a tray and start pulling them. They go from 145 to 175 within a few minutes. So finished temp may be higher than 145 for sure.

Main thing is relation to the OP, is don't over cook them. My sister likes them grilled to a crisp. It hurts me inside to massively over cook them, but I will if requested.
I don't think you can overcook chicken thighs. I've cooked them for 15 minutes in my Instant Pot on pressure cooking mode and they come out fall-apart tender and full of flavor.

Sure, you can overcook thighs, but it's a lot harder to ruin them than it is with breasts.

Thighs are safe to eat at an internal temperature of 165ºF but texture continues to improve as the internal temp reaches 175ºF and 185ºF. IT will remain moist throughout.

So, now you are claiming 30 degrees of carry over ? Ai yi yi.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom