Neck Bones

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Roll_Bones

Master Chef
I saw some pork neck bones in the grocery store. Very meaty and the reason I got them. Normally I would not buy them unless I was making a soup or stock.
But they look and feel to be more meat than bones and I never saw them like this. I have not opened the package tray. But very obvious theres more meat than bone.

So I have the neck bones and also have some Pappaardell pasta.
What would you do?
I am thinking a braise with the neck bones and then finally toss it with the pasta. I could go tomato base or a gravy type sauce.
I can remove the meat from the bones once very tender and easily pulled off the bones.
Or just make a soup? Need some ideas. TIA

Similar, but I would throw them into a pressure cooker with quartered onion, a few cloves of garlic, 1 cup water, and seasoned simply with S&P to taste. Pressure cook for 40 minutes, and serve with smashed sweet spuds, or mashed rutabaga, or potatoes. Use the pan broth to make gravy, or sauce. Serve with your favorite green salad. I think either a cob, or Caesar's salad would be nice.

I'm sure others will come on here and give you great ideas:mrgreen:

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Male a pot of pasta (tomato) sauce with the bones. Simmer for several hours to get the goodness out of the bones.

Male a pot of pasta (tomato) sauce with the bones. Simmer for several hours to get the goodness out of the bones.

I have been leaning on this idea from the start. It just seems right.
I guess I could braise in a small amount of liquid (chicken stock) with garlic and onions and a spoonful of tomato paste. When tender pull off the meat, thicken the sauce a little and proceed?
I am thinking to cook the pasta in the same liquid as the neck bones? I'm just not sure of the ratio?
I guess i could just cook the pasta separate. Then combine.

I have been leaning on this idea from the start. It just seems right.
I guess I could braise in a small amount of liquid (chicken stock) with garlic and onions and a spoonful of tomato paste. When tender pull off the meat, thicken the sauce a little and proceed?
I am thinking to cook the pasta in the same liquid as the neck bones? I'm just not sure of the ratio?
I guess i could just cook the pasta separate. Then combine.

I was suggesting cooking the bones in the tomato sauce.That way the flavor of the meat and bones is infused into the sauce without having to deal with a separate liquid. At least, that's what I do.

I always see neck bones in Asian markets, and it never occurred to me to use them with tomato sauce. Personally, I use pork neckbones in Tonkatsu broth for ramen and other Asian dishes, especially sichuan or Korean.

I like the ideas here, sounds like they'd be great with mashed spuds or pasta!

Try roasting them on a bed of drained and rinsed sauerkraut, chopped apple, onion, caraway seeds, and plenty of coarsely ground black pepper.

You could also add some potatoes to make it a meal.

Bake low and slow until the meat is falling off of the bones.

Last edited:
I was suggesting cooking the bones in the tomato sauce.That way the flavor of the meat and bones is infused into the sauce without having to deal with a separate liquid. At least, that's what I do.

Thanks Andy. I made a tomato sauce with the neck bones. Browned up the meat and then sauteed onion and garlic in my Dutch oven with
a spoonful of tomato paste and deglazed with red wine. Added Nina tomato's, brought to a simmer and put it in a 300f oven with lid on. Braised for two hours.
Was great and my wife loved it.

Last edited:
Thanks Andy. I made a tomato sauce with the neck bones. Browned up the meat and then sauteed onion and garlic in my Dutch oven with
a spoonful of tomato paste and deglazed with red wine. Added Nina tomato's, brought to a simmer and put it in a 300f oven with lid on. Braised for two hours.
Was great and my wife loved it.

That's great!

Back
Top Bottom