Monday, August 12th, cooking something interesting, or LOL (living on leftovers)?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pepperhead212

Master Chef
Not that I was out of leftovers, but I had to use up a BUNCH of those cherry tomatoes (and maybe a few of those others, as well).

I made another batch pasta salad with over 3 lbs of halved cherry tomatoes, mostly those Negro Aztekas, which are great in this. It is basically a double recipe, with a cup of lentils and half cup of whole oats, that I cooked in the IP slow cooker medium, for just under 2 hrs, and used in place of one pound of pasta. I used about a half of one of those small jars of black olive paste I get from lidl, and a spoonful of the green olive paste, about 10 anchovy filets, minced up and about a cup of chopped up basil leaves, along with 8 minced cloves of garlic, and about a half cup of olive oil - another thing from lidl, on their "Greek Days", when I stock up on those items. I got just over 4 qts of this salad, so a generous amount of leftovers, as usual!
Over 3 lbs of halved tomatoes, with the garlic, basil, anchovies, and olive pastes, for the pasta and lentil salad. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

A cup of chana dal and half cup of whole oats, cooked 110 minutes on slowcook in Instant Pot, for salad, with pasta. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Finished pasta/lentil/whole oats salad, with tomatoes, garlic, basil, olive and anchovy pastes, and black pepper. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

BTW, all those Negro Azteka tomatoes I cut up using the "sandwich" method, putting a bunch of them in between two lids of a Chinese restaurant container, and slicing through them. With larger cherries, and those longer ones, I can cut those faster, individually, but with those small ones, they take a lot longer.

Last edited:
WW tomato sandwiches, mine with avocado and dijon, his with avocado and slivered marinated olives. Home canned vegetable bean soup. Brownies, canteloupe

I had the rest of the bachelor suprise I made yesterday. I hadn't intended to cook so much of this. It doesn't reheat well. The flavour just fades quickly. So, I wanted to eat it today, while it still tastes interesting.

Last edited:
Roasted some cut up potatoes. Later threw in some green and yellow slices of zucchini. Fried up the last of the smoked pork chop. Spiced up the vegies with a good sprinkle of Shichimi Togarashi. Very tongue tingling and I loved it. The chop was huge, almost too much for me to finish - but I 'took one for the gipper'.

(and yes, I know that is a mis-quote - taking poetic license here)

@pepperhead212 that looks SO GOOD and thank you for sharing how you made it too! LOL Living on Leftovers, a way of life here. We call them planned overs.

Back
Top Bottom