Looking for advice on boiling Blue Crabs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Yankee00

Cook
Hey everybody. Last weekend, my daughter and I went crabbing here in Virginia and were fortunate enough bring home 12 keepers. I prefer to boil my crabs as opposed to the way I see most folks steam them (with a ton of seasoning on top).
My problem is the seasoning ratio to water. I have been unable to find a standard guide for this and while the crabs he caught were very good, I felt they needed more seasoning. I have since bought a large shaker bottle of Old Bay Seasoning and would appreciate any input on the water/seasoning ratio. Thank you in advance.
1000001566 (003).jpg

When I do a Cajun style seafood boil down here, I always use more seasoning than it seems like I should, because the shells keep a lot of the seasoning away from the meat. The commercial Seafood Boil I use has recommended amounts on the package, but I always add more cayenne, and it never turns out too hot for anyone.

CD

Last edited:
When I do a Cajun style seafood boil down here, I always use more seasoning than it seems like I should, because the shells keep a lot of the seasoning away from the meat. The commercial Seafood Boil I use has recommended amounts on the package, but I always add more cayenne, and it never turns out too hot for anyone.

CD
Thank you for your input. I believe I agree with you, but with a wife and 15 year old, I am concerned about over doing it. Maybe it is just a matter of trial and error?

For example, on this most recent crab "boil", I had 12 blue crabs and I followed a recipe on Google which told me to use 8 cups of water, 3/4 cup apple cider vinegar and 2/3 cup seasoning. Not sure what the vinegar was for, but fortunately, we didn't taste it in the crabs. And 2/3 cup of seasoning was not enough.

Last edited:
Thank you for your input. I believe I agree with you, but with a wife and 15 year old, I am concerned about over doing it. Maybe it is just a matter of trial and error?

For example, on this most recent crab "boil", I had 12 blue crabs and I followed a recipe on Google which told me to use 8 cups of water, 3/4 cup apple cider vinegar and 2/3 cup seasoning. Not sure what the vinegar was for, but fortunately, we didn't taste it in the crabs. And 2/3 cup of seasoning was not enough.

Yeah, I'd try upping the amount of seasoning each time until you find the flavor you are looking for.

My mom and sister can't handle much heat, and my mom grew up eating basically unseasoned food, so she is really hard to cook for. But, they also can't even watch people eat crawfish, although they love lobster.

CD

Yeah, I'd try upping the amount of seasoning each time until you find the flavor you are looking for.

My mom and sister can't handle much heat, and my mom grew up eating basically unseasoned food, so she is really hard to cook for. But, they also can't even watch people eat crawfish, although they love lobster.

CD
LOL! I am from Maine originally and love lobster, but since being down here, I have also learned to love crawfish....call me weird.

LOL! I am from Maine originally and love lobster, but since being down here, I have also learned to love crawfish....call me weird.

I was born in NJ, but grew up on the Gulf coast, right on the Texas/Louisiana border.

Here's a shot of my seafood boil rig in action down at the beach.

1725923041415.jpeg

CD

I was born in NJ, but grew up on the Gulf coast, right on the Texas/Louisiana border.

Here's a shot of my seafood boil rig in action down at the beach.

View attachment 70660

CD
ONE day, I will try live crawfish. Sadly, since I am the only one who will eat them, they simply are not economical. The live crawfish I ate in New Orleans were WAY to spicy for me.. Nice looking rig by the way!

ONE day, I will try live crawfish. Sadly, since I am the only one who will eat them, they simply are not economical. The live crawfish I ate in New Orleans were WAY to spicy for me.. Nice looking rig by the way!

A majority of the shrimp boats between NOLA and Houston are owned by Vietnamese immigrants. There are a lot of Viet-Cajun restaurants in that same area (especially Houston), and they make scorching hot crawfish.

CD

Thank you again, CD. This was many years ago and it was also my very first time eating crawfish. I was visiting family in Alabama, so it is hard to gauge my initial response. I just remember that my lips were on fire!

my family has been catching and eating blue claw crab since I was in diapers.
. . . way back when the supermarket would _give_ you chicken necks/backs . . . which were left to "season" a week in a bucket of water before becoming bait on a hand line....

bunches of relatives on the east coast, Delaware Bay, Chesapeake Bay - never ever saw a "boiled" crab - big pot, big insert, water boiled into steam, crabs went into the insert with lots of Old Bay sprinkled on top.

how does one season a crab that is in boiling water? does the "seasoning" not simply wash off?

here's a near 60 year "throwback" - she's still mine! all mine!
1726001827535.png

. . . way back when the supermarket would _give_ you chicken necks/backs . . . which were left to "season" a week in a bucket of water before becoming bait on a hand line....

bunches of relatives on the east coast, Delaware Bay, Chesapeake Bay - never ever saw a "boiled" crab - big pot, big insert, water boiled into steam, crabs went into the insert with lots of Old Bay sprinkled on top.

how does one season a crab that is in boiling water? does the "seasoning" not simply wash off?

View attachment 70673
Thank you so much for your input. The seasoning when "boiled" doesn't simply sit on top, since the crabs are boiled in the liquid, the seasoning is infused to the crab meat during the boiling process.

View attachment 70673

People who steam their crabs instead of boiling them will often sprinkle a heavy coating of their chosen seasoning right onto the damp crabs, and then let them steam.

BTW, Blue Crabs were what we had along the Gulf coast.

CD

Everyone...please know I am not trying to be difficult or question anyone's methods. I came here for advice.
Having said this, Youtube is my friend for recipes and I have seen multiple "cookoffs" between boiled and steamed.

It is simply my desire to "boil" the blue crabs as opposed to steaming them. Thank you all again for any and all advice.

Everyone...please know I am not trying to be difficult or question anyone's methods. I came here for advice.

Um, I never got the impression you were being difficult.

Some people boil, and others steam. I boil, because that's what I learned, and why I have the rig for. It's just what I've always done.

There was a place in Sabine Pass, Texas back in the day called Sartin's, that made "BBQ Blue Crabs." Those were prepped by removing the shell and undesirable innards, seasoning and frying. The Sabine Pass restaurant was wiped out by a few hurricanes. They moved North, but finally closed for good.

CD

I hear you, Yankee00. I've always boiled lobster even though quite a few of my friends have various recipes for on the grill and insist they are better.
Well, I don't agree. I mean, yes, they tasted great but it is ME cooking them and I prefer boiling.
I've never cooked crabs so can't put in my 2 pennies worth. I do remember, as a kid, having Clam Bakes on the beach in New Brunswick with family. Other than a pit and a fire and dipping them in melted butter - honestly don't remember exactly how they were cooked.
Boil Away!

Thank you, CD. It was just a general statement as I noted that dcSaute has a family tradition and I have no desire to question it.

I hear you, Yankee00. I've always boiled lobster even though quite a few of my friends have various recipes for on the grill and insist they are better.
Well, I don't agree. I mean, yes, they tasted great but it is ME cooking them and I prefer boiling.
I've never cooked crabs so can't put in my 2 pennies worth. I do remember, as a kid, having Clam Bakes on the beach in New Brunswick with family. Other than a pit and a fire and dipping them in melted butter - honestly don't remember exactly how they were cooked.
Boil Away!
Hey there. I am originally from Maine and have only ever had lobster (Maine lobster) either steamed or boiled. I have never tried them any other way which means I may be missing out, but going back to my childhood, that is Maine lobster to me.

Hey there. I am originally from Maine and have only ever had lobster (Maine lobster) either steamed or boiled. I have never tried them any other way which means I may be missing out, but going back to my childhood, that is Maine lobster to me.

I'm thinking that I shouldn't mention that I prefer Caribbean spiny lobster to Main Lobster. Oh wait, I just did. :ROFLMAO:

I won't turn down either one. I love lobster. (y)

I can only get frozen lobster in the Dallas area. I can't get them live. That seems to be only available to restaurants, as far as I can find. Kind of like your situation with live crawfish.

CD

but going back to my childhood
But what I remember most was sitting on Grandma's stoop with a bucket of clams for that night's bake. She told me I could have a nickel for every clam I caught sticking its neck (I always thought it was their heads) out. Sigh.... never made a penny. They were/are incredibly fast!

But what I remember most was sitting on Grandma's stoop with a bucket of clams for that night's bake. She told me I could have a nickel for every clam I caught sticking its neck (I always thought it was their heads) out. Sigh.... never made a penny. They were/are incredibly fast!
Wow.....My Dad was in the USAF at DOW AFB, so I do not recall ever getting the pleasure of catching the necks (heads)! Sounds like a wonderful experience though. My first memory of lobster was at a lobster pound in Searsport, Maine. I believe it has since closed.

Back
Top Bottom